MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 17, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,111 of 2,891

OOOhhhhh!  Updates on this combo please!  I've been thinking this might be a really nice pairing.  I have no basis for this, I have only heard an older project sunrise a couple of years ago.

Yeah I'll be happy to provide feedback on this combo! Jeremy at G1217 suggested that I let my ears adjust and the Ember burn in complete before I start tube rolling. I may try and hold off buying tubes to test until after 100 hours of use. But we all know my patience won't last lol!

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,112 of 2,891
  I get a lot of requests about what is different in Alpha Prime vs the Alpha Dog. Since we've filed for a patent on this, I'll take off the secrecy and share the concept.  The full write up is on our website here

The teaser version is that our technology textures the driver to reduce the effect of the boundary conditions that keep planar drivers from behaving as actual planar surfaces. 

Conventional Planar Diaphragm motion (conceptual, obviously):

V-Planar (yes, that's what we're calling it) pleats the driver, somewhat similar to a ribbon tweeter, allowing it to move more freely across the whole surface, for improved dynamics, lower distortion and extended frequency response, as conceptually shown here:

Pleats on diaphragm in planar headphones have been there for long, whats new and whats the patent for?

Infact the Wharfedale ID1 which was first orthodynamic/isodynamic headphone used a pleated diaphragm.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,113 of 2,891
  I get a lot of requests about what is different in Alpha Prime vs the Alpha Dog. Since we've filed for a patent on this, I'll take off the secrecy and share the concept.  The full write up is on our website here

The teaser version is that our technology textures the driver to reduce the effect of the boundary conditions that keep planar drivers from behaving as actual planar surfaces. 

V-Planar (yes, that's what we're calling it) pleats the driver, somewhat similar to a ribbon tweeter, allowing it to move more freely across the whole surface, for improved dynamics, lower distortion and extended frequency response, as conceptually shown here:

NVM - Just read the web site.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,114 of 2,891
Yes, the technique is called knurling and had long been used in planar speakers and headphones.

The knurling reduced oscillations in the surface by gently creasing the traces into smaller mechanical zones to reduce the tendency of the diaphragm to oscillate at higher harmonics and exhibit breakup. It actually is similar in function to what Fostex accomished with their RP patent that added various metal patterns to the driver to break it into smaller physical segments.

We originally started with basic knurling but as we worked with it we found that pushing it to a much deeper extent to form much deeper impressions by controlled stretching of the driver had a marked effect not just on distortion (as with pleats) but also extending the frequency response and improving transient response, acting as a larger/faster driver. In the case of classic knurling the intent was to remove oscillations, but with our system the real goal is to modify compliance.

And yes, we applied this to the t50 driver.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 18, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,115 of 2,891
  Sold my NFB-15 today, I'm sad to see it go, but I couldn't resist the lure of a Garage 1217 Project Ember tube amp with supercharger + heater option. Will be interesting seeing how Ember sounds with my primes using a Fiio X5 for transport and DAC. Tube rolling here I come :)

very interested in what you think about the ember as well, you seemed to REALLY love the nfb

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,117 of 2,891
The patent is pending, it takes several years for the office to issue (or decline) a patent...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,118 of 2,891

thanks for posting this Dan. This explains all the midrange distortion.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #1,119 of 2,891
  very interested in what you think about the ember as well, you seemed to REALLY love the nfb

I'll let you know. The NFB15 was my first foray in desktop amps and I was blown away by it. However it was too smooth with my primes. In a way I preferred the sound of my Fiio x5 dac with cayin c5 more, even if the sound lacks the same depth. I thought id give the ember a go as I can tube roll and learn what my ears like best.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,122 of 2,891
Yes, the technique is called knurling and had long been used in planar speakers and headphones.

The knurling reduced oscillations in the surface by gently creasing the traces into smaller mechanical zones to reduce the tendency of the diaphragm to oscillate at higher harmonics and exhibit breakup. It actually is similar in function to what Fostex accomished with their RP patent that added various metal patterns to the driver to break it into smaller physical segments.

We originally started with basic knurling but as we worked with it we found that pushing it to a much deeper extent to form much deeper impressions by controlled stretching of the driver had a marked effect not just on distortion (as with pleats) but also extending the frequency response and improving transient response, acting as a larger/faster driver. In the case of classic knurling the intent was to remove oscillations, but with our system the real goal is to modify compliance.

And yes, we applied this to the t50 driver.

Orthodynamic drivers, sometimes called isodynamic drivers, are comprised of a thinly pressed disc made of tightly coiled fine aluminium wire affixed to a mylar sheet or more commonly an printed circuit. This pressed disc is the diaphragm and is usually slightly ridged or pleated in order to give it greater strength and to make it flex more readily in the direction of motion.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,123 of 2,891
  Orthodynamic drivers, sometimes called isodynamic drivers, are comprised of a thinly pressed disc made of tightly coiled fine aluminium wire affixed to a mylar sheet or more commonly an printed circuit. This pressed disc is the diaphragm and is usually slightly ridged or pleated in order to give it greater strength and to make it flex more readily in the direction of motion.

Behind the scenes, our approach was developed after consultation with Bruce Thigpen of Eminent Technology, who actually holds a patent on knurling planar drivers.

Bruce holds multiple audio and planar driver patents and is not only incredibly knowledgeable but really a wonderful guy.  It was after conversations with him about driver compliance that the idea for this occurred as separate and distinct from prior art. 

I wanted to acknowledge Bruce's spark and support for the idea so we filed with Bruce as a co-inventor, with a citation for his prior patent on knurling.  It's also worth noting the designer at Oppo has a patent for knurling selected regions of the surface of a driver. 

It was quite a fun project, and really great working with a guy like Bruce who is both incredibly knowledgeable and really nice.  Of course who knows if the patent will be issued, but with the holder of prior art contributing to the filing, I believe there's a very solid probability. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,125 of 2,891

Thanks for sharing Dan! It blew me away how much you got out those fostex drivers. I'm glad you've decided to revisit planar magnetic technology. So a different technology is used on your alpha dogs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back