MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 28, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #737 of 2,891
No leakage at all.

I've got The Bends cranked and my wife can hear them on the other end of a 3 seater couch in an otherwise quiet room.

That said, they isolate well and reasonable listening levels.

Very please with the Primes, my first serious closed-back headphone purchase.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #738 of 2,891
They isolate you away from outside noise a bit better than the amount they leak out, but I mean ultimately these headphones are closed, sealed, and you're in your own world :)

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #739 of 2,891
thanks for the feedback. considering a pair of closed headphones so not to disturb others. do not really care about how well they isolate outside noise, but it seems that these headphones perform well on both counts.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #740 of 2,891
MOT rules preclude me from answering that directly. I'd simply say that I really enjoy each of them for what they do. With the huge difference in price and size, you would expect there to be a difference, and there is, but they are both excellent at serving their purposes..... Sorry that is vague.

I thought about buying one for a long time, but as I already have a good amp and don't plan to take the Alphas outdoors it's probably not a necessary purchase for me. If I wanted something portable it would be my first choice. Conpared to a lot of the DAPs hitting the market it looks like good value.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #741 of 2,891
thanks for the feedback. considering a pair of closed headphones so not to disturb others. do not really care about how well they isolate outside noise, but it seems that these headphones perform well on both counts.

How well they isolate depends on your seal. If you have a good seal they let practically nothing in or out. Of course if you listen at a very high volume then they might leak a bit.

That they're closed back is a nice little bonus: they sound as good as any open headphone I've heard.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #742 of 2,891
  I've got The Bends cranked and my wife can hear them on the other end of a 3 seater couch in an otherwise quiet room.

That said, they isolate well and reasonable listening levels.

Very please with the Primes, my first serious closed-back headphone purchase.

Busted!  I was a bit hyperbolic.
redface.gif

I listen at low-to-moderate volume.  My wife actually thought I had the Primes on to block out sound, and wasn't listening to music.  I also couldn't hear her when she was trying to talk to me.

That's what I meant by no leakage...

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #743 of 2,891
Thanks you two. I don't own a single classical recording but am going to download something. Good to know that the headphones are up to the task

Hey Tony.  You could do a lot worse than download the free "24-bits of Christmas" tracks from Linn if you'd like to dabble in a bit of well-recorded classical (and a few from other genres)...

http://www.linn.co.uk/christmas (available until 6th Jan)

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #744 of 2,891
I apologize if it has already been discussed, but how do these compare to Denon D5000's or Fostex TH600?  I love the sound of the D5000, and am looking for a pair of headphones since I (regretfully) sold mine.  

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #745 of 2,891

Hmmm, not easy ....

What phone do you have? If it is capable of USB Audio; why not use the Phone as DAP and combine with a DAC/AMP?
The CEntrance M8 is great but also more expensive; the FIIO E18, ifi Audio are less expensive.

The portable high power Amp will be the biggest challenge.
The Cyan C5 might push it good enough, it has 800mW. The iBasso PB2 runs 2500mW.

If you buy a AK (whatever model) and combine it with an DAC/AMP, the DAC section of the AK is bypassed. So, why not use the phone as player, and put together an DAC/AMP that way.
Note that if you use an iPhone, depending on the brand/model of DAC/AMP you might need the camera USB kit.

The FIIO X5 DAP has coax out. And it is no very expensive.

Kind regards,

CasperBxl

I have a Lumia 1520 without USB OTG (Windows Phone is fantastic as is my 1520, but there are a few key missing features such as this!) so I cannot use phone as a DAP in the way I'd like. Microsoft need to get this sorted asap!

I really want a CAyin N6 but I can't afford it plus its a risk as no international reseller network in place.  I will have a look around for an AK100mk2 (2 ohm version NOT 22ohm version) fior reduced price but fear it will be too dear.  I found an AK100mk1 for £300 but am not going for it considering the 22ohm resistance.

I guess I'll have to stick with a Fiio X5 into Cayin C5 unless I can find a used CEntrace M8 to buy in UK for say mzx £300 (the one I saw listed on eBay is no longer available)

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #748 of 2,891
  I know I'm a little late to the party, but I just thought I'd share one of the testing tracks we use before your alphas leave the shop.
https://soundcloud.com/auditory-canvas/auditory-canvas-shawni-solace

Dude, the party is just getting started!

Thanks for that.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #750 of 2,891

I have a Lumia 1520 without USB OTG (Windows Phone is fantastic as is my 1520, but there are a few key missing features such as this!) so I cannot use phone as a DAP in the way I'd like. Microsoft need to get this sorted asap!

I really want a CAyin N6 but I can't afford it plus its a risk as no international reseller network in place.  I will have a look around for an AK100mk2 (2 ohm version NOT 22ohm version) fior reduced price but fear it will be too dear.  I found an AK100mk1 for £300 but am not going for it considering the 22ohm resistance.

I guess I'll have to stick with a Fiio X5 into Cayin C5 unless I can find a used CEntrace M8 to buy in UK for say circa £300 (the one I saw listed on eBay is no longer available)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back