MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 21, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #692 of 2,891
Looking at a Cayin C5, it would be interesting to compare to my nfb15 sound and power wise

Sweet I hear the C5 is a great unit. Please share your impressions when it arrives.

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #694 of 2,891
I sold my e12 to the same guy who bought the pandora.Likely i will buy a used iCan nano to be used as temporary amp until i have more to spend.will post the impression once im off this boat...

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #697 of 2,891
  Red = Right. In my mind I always think both Red and Right start with "R", so Red = Right :)

Thx yeah that's what I thought just wanted to check.

Just having my first listen. I have "The Highest Journey" by M83 playing.

It sounds incredible- this may sound a little "sad".. but I'm actually trying to stop my eyes from welling up I have no idea what's just come over me lol.  I'm just stunned by how beautiful this song is through these headphones. I think I've just had my mind blown.

This first listen to this track has just fully justified my upgrade from Mad Dogs to Alpha Primes.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #698 of 2,891
  It sounds incredible- this may sound a little "sad".. but I'm actually trying to stop my eyes from welling up I have no idea what's just come over me lol.

I think it's the "looking in your wallet and seeing there is no money left" syndrome.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #699 of 2,891
Thx yeah that's what I thought just wanted to check.

Just having my first listen. I have "The Highest Journey" by M83 playing.

It sounds incredible- this may sound a little "sad".. but I'm actually trying to stop my eyes from welling up I have no idea what's just come over me lol.  I'm just stunned by how beautiful this song is through these headphones. I think I've just had my mind blown.

This first listen to this track has just fully justified my upgrade from Mad Dogs to Alpha Primes.

I've had quite a few of those moments myself!

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #702 of 2,891
Its been nearly 3 weeks or so with the Alpha Primes now, and I'm at the point with them where they are seriously blowing my mind everytime sound plays through them. The pads have broken in enough to shape to my head, the clamp is now perfect for a nice fit without extra pressure, the seal is perfect all around, and the drivers have broken in considerably (been using them 5 hours a day minimum everyday since i got them). I have used them for youtube, for music, for movies, for tv shows, for background sounds, all types of genres from metal to EDM to acoustic stuff and vocal stuff, for just any audio need you can think of while on the computer. For the last week or so they just make me go whoa, that sounded insane! They just got more and more dynamic and clear and organic and detailed, as each day went by. I think they now have been consistent for a week or so. But I just cant get over how alive the sounds you play through them are, how both large and intimate it can be, detailed and grandiose. With every headphone I've tried so far (hd800, lcd-2, he-560, d5000, dt990) I always could find something I wish they did better or differently that would make me like them more. But with the Primes I legitimately can't come up with something I'd want them to do better in terms of sound, they just already are creating the kind of sound I want in the first place. The only real improvement they even really could use is a tad more movement in the ear cups to better fit different head shapes, but even with that eventually the pads just break in enough to squish to your head to make a good seal, but rotation would be the cherry on top. for that it would need a different gimble design though, because if they rotate back anymore they will hit the risers. But man thats it, like thats the only minor thing I'd ever change for these. but just because that sound is so insanely great, it completely over-rides any little annoyance, they are comfy, and sound fantastic, and thats all that matters.

I just wanted to point this out, since I happened to use these for so many hours already and wanted to give an update to how they hold up over time. I genuinly think these might be the best sounding headphones on the market right now. Sure some people will prefer the specific sound of some other brand maybe, or really want an open design like the hd800, but for the majority of people, the Alpha Prime is pretty much the best sounding thing you can spend 1000 bucks on.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #703 of 2,891
Its been nearly 3 weeks or so with the Alpha Primes now, and I'm at the point with them where they are seriously blowing my mind everytime sound plays through them. The pads have broken in enough to shape to my head, the clamp is now perfect for a nice fit without extra pressure, the seal is perfect all around, and the drivers have broken in considerably (been using them 5 hours a day minimum everyday since i got them). I have used them for youtube, for music, for movies, for tv shows, for background sounds, all types of genres from metal to EDM to acoustic stuff and vocal stuff, for just any audio need you can think of while on the computer. For the last week or so they just make me go whoa, that sounded insane! They just got more and more dynamic and clear and organic and detailed, as each day went by. I think they now have been consistent for a week or so. But I just cant get over how alive the sounds you play through them are, how both large and intimate it can be, detailed and grandiose. With every headphone I've tried so far (hd800, lcd-2, he-560, d5000, dt990) I always could find something I wish they did better or differently that would make me like them more. But with the Primes I legitimately can't come up with something I'd want them to do better in terms of sound, they just already are creating the kind of sound I want in the first place. The only real improvement they even really could use is a tad more movement in the ear cups to better fit different head shapes, but even with that eventually the pads just break in enough to squish to your head to make a good seal, but rotation would be the cherry on top. for that it would need a different gimble design though, because if they rotate back anymore they will hit the risers. But man thats it, like thats the only minor thing I'd ever change for these. but just because that sound is so insanely great, it completely over-rides any little annoyance, they are comfy, and sound fantastic, and thats all that matters.

I just wanted to point this out, since I happened to use these for so many hours already and wanted to give an update to how they hold up over time. I genuinly think these might be the best sounding headphones on the market right now. Sure some people will prefer the specific sound of some other brand maybe, or really want an open design like the hd800, but for the majority of people, the Alpha Prime is pretty much the best sounding thing you can spend 1000 bucks on.

+1 to all that. I'm glad you decided to keep them.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #704 of 2,891
OK, finally I can say the Prime is endgame for me....doesn't get any better than this!  Sold my Alpha Dogs and Audeze LCD 2F, kept a fun pair of headphones and my fazor modded HE-560.  I have everything tuned in my system.  Made a pair of ultrashort adapters to fit all of my Audeze mini xlr cables, so all of my cables fit on the Prime.  I can use either receiver off of speaker taps, or my integrated tube amp off of speaker taps, with Telefunken EL84's and 12AX7's fed by my Jolida Tube DAC w/Telefunken 12AX7 tubes.  The real killer sound is coming from the newest version of jPlay 5.2.1, using jPlaymini, miracles happen at Christmas, and the Prime with my current setup is total satisfaction.  My 24/96 files have really come to life, the search is over for me, unless Dan has something better brewing with his magic pixie dust!

Merry Christmas to all, and Happy New Year, my birthday is January 1, hoping I am healthy in 2015, 2014 has been a bad one for me!

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #705 of 2,891
OK, finally I can say the Prime is endgame for me....doesn't get any better than this!  Sold my Alpha Dogs and Audeze LCD 2F, kept a fun pair of headphones and my fazor modded HE-560.  I have everything tuned in my system.  Made a pair of ultrashort adapters to fit all of my Audeze mini xlr cables, so all of my cables fit on the Prime.  I can use either receiver off of speaker taps, or my integrated tube amp off of speaker taps, with Telefunken EL84's and 12AX7's fed by my Jolida Tube DAC w/Telefunken 12AX7 tubes.  The real killer sound is coming from the newest version of jPlay 5.2.1, using jPlaymini, miracles happen at Christmas, and the Prime with my current setup is total satisfaction.  My 24/96 files have really come to life, the search is over for me, unless Dan has something better brewing with his magic pixie dust!

Merry Christmas to all, and Happy New Year, my birthday is January 1, hoping I am healthy in 2015, 2014 has been a bad one for me!

Sweet I shall chant for your good health. Please have a merry Christmas. . Glad that your Alpha Prime's make yea so happy, they are a utterly fantastic headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back