MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #421 of 2,891
I habitually wear headphones towards the very back of my head, but I think the key to getting a good seal with these might lie in wearing them more in the centre and adjusting the pads accordingly. I followed Dan's advice and I think I've just about got it right. It's probably down to my own OCC nature than anything else. You're right about the bass though. With a true seal I think the bass is comparable to the very best headphones, but you wouldn't think so if you're wearing them incorrectly.

You're using the V281, right? I think they're pretty spectacular using the balanced out.

Yea with my head I tend to put most headbands on a angle forward, think headband in front of the ear cups. its just the way my head is shaped, so with tilted ear pads, they end up being almost straight up and down because the tilt forward from the headband tilts the ear pads back upright. So I just put a bit more tilt to them, and tried to see in a mirror how tilted my actual ears were, and they rnt too tilted, so I gave the pads a little more tilt than I already had them, and they seem to seal very well now. I cant tilt them back any further or the angle starts to cut across my actual ear. If you judge the tilt by the position of the seam in relation to the shape of the ear cup its attached to, then just place the seam a little bit past where that rim begins to curve. like theres that short straight bit, and then it curves, I just put the seam on the start or that curve (this is for your ocd, like mine lol).

And yes I amp using the V281 balanced out. they do sound ridiculously amazing through it. Its this sound that actually makes any potential seal/comfort annoyances completely worth it. I had the he-560 a couple months back to try, and its ear cups were too small, and shallow, and it didnt have a good enough sound to put up with that discomfort. The primes on the other hand, are more comfy, and just have an addictive sound.

Also is it relatively normal for the ear cups not to have slightly more pressure at the top than the bottom? I know its because they cant rotate on that axis very much, and my face is a little smaller than average so the ear cups cant fully rotate to put equal pressure. its pretty much fine, and the seal is fine, and comfort is fine, but visually you can notice that they slightly more squeezed in at the top than the bottom.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #422 of 2,891
  Also is it relatively normal for the ear cups not to have slightly more pressure at the top than the bottom? I know its because they cant rotate on that axis very much, and my face is a little smaller than average so the ear cups cant fully rotate to put equal pressure. its pretty much fine, and the seal is fine, and comfort is fine, but visually you can notice that they slightly more squeezed in at the top than the bottom.

More pressure at the top then the bottom means your risers are too short which can affect your seal, and comfort.  

The phones are most comfortable and seal best when the weight is essentially spread evenly from the bottom of the pads all the way around the head.  You'll feel it when it does that...  You can adjust clamp if you want more "snugness."  Making the risers too short to "snug" the phone is probably the most common fit issue, and about the easiest to fix.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 1, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #423 of 2,891

Dan explained how you can rotate the pads on the cups.
You can rotate the pad when you keep a good hold on the cup.

This should enable a good seal.

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #426 of 2,891
Yes, until the end of the day (Dec, 01 2014).

Todd the Vinyl Junkie has the same offer but I'm not sure how long it lasts.

lol. I couldn't get the special price to work at moonaudio. kinda a shame. moonaudio has a 5% restocking fee, mr. speakers has a 10% restocking fee, and ttvj has a 15% restocking fee. 

hahah.

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #427 of 2,891
For those who've done the AD / AP upgrade, have you noticed any difference in the isolation?

For me, despite the specifications, it seems like the isolation is less. i was wearing them today and someone was speaking to me, and i could hear them as though i was wearing open cans. whereas with the AD, in similar situations i heard almost nothing. but yet it still attenuates a lot of other background noise. weird..

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #428 of 2,891
More pressure at the top then the bottom means your risers are too short which can affect your seal, and comfort.  

The phones are most comfortable and seal best when the weight is essentially spread evenly from the bottom of the pads all the way around the head.  You'll feel it when it does that...  You can adjust clamp if you want more "snugness."  Making the risers too short to "snug" the phone is probably the most common fit issue, and about the easiest to fix.

I was wondering why I had the risers all the way down and it still didn't seem to be enough. I was beginning to think they were too big for my head. Do you think they need to be worn tight? Does the "snugness" make any difference providing the pads properly encircle the ears?

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #429 of 2,891
Hi Dan,

Has the upgrade process been verified and validated? When will more slots be available? Cheers.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #430 of 2,891
Hmmm... the 10% off deal is tempting... but I live in Canada.  How much would the customs cost me if I live in Quebec?  And how do these compare with my current Shure SRH440 (with SRH840 pads) which I find them pretty good already for casual music listening and PC gaming :)  Thanks guys!

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #431 of 2,891
  For those who've done the AD / AP upgrade, have you noticed any difference in the isolation?

For me, despite the specifications, it seems like the isolation is less. i was wearing them today and someone was speaking to me, and i could hear them as though i was wearing open cans. whereas with the AD, in similar situations i heard almost nothing. but yet it still attenuates a lot of other background noise. weird..

Your fit is off.  I'm not sure why you'd have trouble now but not before as the fit is the same, unless the new pads aren't quite as soft and broken in as your old ones.

The isolation should be more.  When no one is around and there's no music playing rub your finger tips together and circle the pad.  If you can hear your fingers your fit is off.  Adjust until it's quiet.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #432 of 2,891
  Hi Dan,

Has the upgrade process been verified and validated? When will more slots be available? Cheers.

Still working on it, it is a tough upgrade.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #433 of 2,891

Still waiting for mine to show up.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #434 of 2,891
I have an "ancient" Benchmark DAC-1 incoming.  Figure I might as well hear how one of the most transparent DAC's made pairs with the Primes!

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #435 of 2,891

i'll try again with the fit, but i spent a fair bit of time adjusting it. i do find it hard to get a good seal but used to it from AD

i was thinking maybe the internals had changed somehow (more venting?) which let more outside sound in. particularly voices.

you're probably right about the pads though. i noticed the new pads were quite a bit firmer, so maybe the older, worn in pads were just sealing better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back