MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #331 of 2,891

At least you get to host thanksgiving knowing at the end of the night they'll be waiting. I gotta host it knowing it'll be another 2 days after :p

I can only hope...

I did squeeze in 15 minutes with the Primes just now.  My wife decided to check on her horse, so I had some down time.  I've never heard the Stax SR-009 or 007, but what I'm hearing sounds a bit like they have been described as sounding.  At any rate, simply amazing.  I have maybe three hours logged at this point, and will note if I hear any 'burn-in' effect once I get past 10.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #332 of 2,891

I can only hope...

I did squeeze in 15 minutes with the Primes just now.  My wife decided to check on her horse, so I had some down time.  I've never heard the Stax SR-009 or 007, but what I'm hearing sounds a bit like they have been described as sounding.  At any rate, simply amazing.  I have maybe three hours logged at this point, and will note if I hear any 'burn-in' effect once I get past 10.

I think every headphone I've tried so far always had some sort of burn in that took just about 12 total hours before settling into a consistent overall sound. and by burn in, I mean some of it being the headphone and some of it being my brain lol.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #333 of 2,891
I've been searching for that very cable but no one seems to be selling - including Trevor. The DHC stuff looks nice but is prohibitively expensive. Think I'll probably buy a silver cable of some description, either from Moon Audio or Toxic Cables. I'd like to buy from Charleston Cable Company but I think his cables are all copper.

Regarding Charleston Cable Company their mid tier is the same as MrSpeaker uses except you get a braided outer jacket.

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #334 of 2,891
Regarding Charleston Cable Company their mid tier is the same as MrSpeaker uses except you get a braided outer jacket.

I bought their top tier cable. I like the simple design and it's 10ft long which is handy for me. Plus it's flexible. I don't expect miracles but it's nice when you hear subtle improvements.

Cable chat over. I don't want to be blocked by my good pal Swspiers :)

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #335 of 2,891
I bought their top tier cable. I like the simple design and it's 10ft long which is handy for me. Plus it's flexible. I don't expect miracles but it's nice when you hear subtle improvements.

Cable chat over. I don't want to be blocked by my good pal Swspiers :)

Did somebody write something?  Who wrote something?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #336 of 2,891
I have been jonesing for my Alpha Dogs that I am having nightmares, in my dream the best headphones available were Beats Headphones. The utter horror, last time I fail asleep watching Letterman. I have never owned a Beats product and I do not see myself ever buying a Beats product, not when there are such better cans to be obtained.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #337 of 2,891
I have been jonesing for my Alpha Dogs that I am having nightmares, in my dream the best headphones available were Beats Headphones. The utter horror, last time I fail asleep watching Letterman. I have never owned a Beats product and I do not see myself ever buying a Beats product, not when there are such better cans to be obtained.

Jonesing?

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #338 of 2,891
Nov 25, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #339 of 2,891
Jonesing is a term used to indicate withdraws for a drug or alcohol.

And as a graduate student in addiction studies, I can state definitely that I do indeed Jones for what these headphones do. :)

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #340 of 2,891
As a graduate student in English literature, perhaps I should have known that. Never mind. I thought it was a play on the 'Andrew Reddog Jones' thang.

But yeah, I jones for what these headphones do

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #343 of 2,891
FYI, I'm working on a tuning guide using the dots in the configurations I think people will like most.  I hope to post this tonight and I bet people will find it very interesting.  

As everyone knows I've been suggesting people try the tuning dots.  This is not an idle recommendation, but not many people have given them a try so I clearly haven't made the case in a way that people are connecting with.

The tuning guide is short and includes measurements to show the relative change of dot configurations compared to our default "two dot" configuration so you'll be able to see just how much variation you can create in the sound.

It's important to mention that the relative changes in the tuning will vary slightly based on your ear geometry and size, but it's still a good general guide.  You can't tune the Alpha Dog this precisely, or get as much extension because the Alpha Driver has less extension and more peakiness in the highs.

The most important thing you'll see is that the dots are NOT filters in the sense you might expect, rather they modify ear/driver standing waves.  For example, adding a dot may reduce sibilance but increase top frequency output. The effect is significantly greater than any effect of a cable, up to 3-5dB.

It took a lot of work to put this together, so I do hope you'll find it both interesting and helpful.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 25, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #344 of 2,891
FYI, I'm working on a tuning guide using the dots in the configurations I think people will like most.  I hope to post this tonight and I bet people will find it very interesting.  

As everyone knows I've been suggesting people try the tuning dots.  This is not an idle recommendation, but not many people have given them a try so I clearly haven't made the case in a way that people are connecting with.

... Snip...

It took a lot of work to put this together, so I do hope you'll find it both interesting and helpful.  

Thanks Dan, really appreciate your commitment to excellence. Looking forward to the tuning guide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back