MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #316 of 2,891
Nov 23, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #317 of 2,891

Lol. If this is directed at me I think I've been misunderstood too. I didn't say vocals were recessed; I said that they seemed to be more accurately incorporated into the mix and I attributed that to the Prime's superior imaging capabilities. 

I've spent a few hours with them today and I have to say that I'm very impressed. They're every bit as good as you say. The 'live' sensation that you describe is all the more remarkable when you're sitting immersed in your own little gig-like bubble and the person sitting 6 ft away can't hear a thing of it. Getting closed-back headphones to sound this open is a real achievement.

There must have been something up with my mood yesterday, because they don't sound so ruthless with bad recordings now. They were only first impressions though. I'm finding it difficult to pick any faults at all today. They're stunning!

...and you'll be reassured to learn that I splashed out on a good cable today :wink:

Tony are you using your AP with the violectric v281 amp? Do you have any comments on the pairing?

i'm considering one for my own system, haven't had a chance to audition yet though

thanks

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #318 of 2,891
  Holiday coupons are online, FWIW.  Through 12/1/14 10% off on orders over $1000 with free shipping worldwide.  Worldwide orders under $1000 get free shipping with 2014free.

To be exact, your website offers two deals:

(1) orders over $1000
   (2) orders below $999.99

The Alpha Prime is exactly $999.99!
(I wish I could take up that offer, but not enough pennies yet, free international shipping is tempting).

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #319 of 2,891
Tony are you using your AP with the violectric v281 amp? Do you have any comments on the pairing?

i'm considering one for my own system, haven't had a chance to audition yet though

thanks

I bought the V281 because I wanted to eliminate all questions about power matching and synergy. It drives all headphones to what I would imagine is their full potential. I haven't heard the Alpha Prime out of any other amp and I don't need to. It's well worth the investment on that basis alone: you never have to consider whether your amp is up to the task because you just know it is.

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #321 of 2,891
I bought the V281 because I wanted to eliminate all questions about power matching and synergy. It drives all headphones to what I would imagine is their full potential. I haven't heard the Alpha Prime out of any other amp and I don't need to. It's well worth the investment on that basis alone: you never have to consider whether your amp is up to the task because you just know it is.

Thats been my experience with the V281 so far too. I will get to try the AP on it next saturday, but ive tried the hd800, he-560, lcd-2 denon d5000, and beyerdynamic dt990 32 ohm all on it and never had an issues with synergy or power with any of those. Just adjust the volume a couple notches up or down depending on the headphone and it just works. simple as that it just works.

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #322 of 2,891
How much does a closed phone like the AD/AP attenuate outside volume/volume leakage compared to an open phone like the LCD-2 ?

somewhere earlier in the thread or the other thread a person mentioned the AD has an isolation of -23dB, and that the AP is a bit more or about the same. If you're not familiar with what that number means, its basically saying that with them on your head, the outside will be 23 decibels quieter than whatever it is. so like if theres something making 60dB of noise in your room (which is relatively noisey), then with these on that will sound like 37dB of noise, which is very quiet. to put this into perspective most over ear protection for noise cancellation like for gun ranges or loud concerts or for drumming usually have an isolation of -30dB, some a bit more, but at least that much. so the AD/AP are definitely well isolating. Compare this to an LCD-2 which has essentially -1dB of isolation if that, and it means any noise playing around you will be heard as if you didnt have the headphones on at all.

hope this helps :)

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #323 of 2,891
somewhere earlier in the thread or the other thread a person mentioned the AD has an isolation of -23dB, and that the AP is a bit more or about the same. If you're not familiar with what that number means, its basically saying that with them on your head, the outside will be 23 decibels quieter than whatever it is. so like if theres something making 60dB of noise in your room (which is relatively noisey), then with these on that will sound like 37dB of noise, which is very quiet. to put this into perspective most over ear protection for noise cancellation like for gun ranges or loud concerts or for drumming usually have an isolation of -30dB, some a bit more, but at least that much. so the AD/AP are definitely well isolating. Compare this to an LCD-2 which has essentially -1dB of isolation if that, and it means any noise playing around you will be heard as if you didnt have the headphones on at all.

hope this helps :)

Thankyou very much - yes, it is very helpful! :)

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #324 of 2,891
Thats been my experience with the V281 so far too. I will get to try the AP on it next saturday, but ive tried the hd800, he-560, lcd-2 denon d5000, and beyerdynamic dt990 32 ohm all on it and never had an issues with synergy or power with any of those. Just adjust the volume a couple notches up or down depending on the headphone and it just works. simple as that it just works.

I think the AP responds well to 2.4wpc in balanced mode :) I set the dip switch to -6 and set the volume to between 12 and 1. Interestingly enough, they are pretty much the same settings I used for the HE-560. The V281 imparts a huge soundstage - probably part of the reason that I frequently need to remind myself that I'm listening to closed headphones.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #326 of 2,891
  Has anyone tried these with a FiiO X3 and if so how's the pairing.  I know my Geek out 720 and upcoming Pulse XFi will easily drive them but it's nice to be able to walk around with them too.

You will have sound and it will most probably get to a reasonable laudness, but you'll be missing the good stuff and deep extended base the Prime can deliver.
See, my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-alpha-prime/reviews/11939

A short overview:

First the obvious, sound levels with the combinations …. Does it push the Alpha Primes?
(
smily_headphones1.gif
= happy,
rolleyes.gif
= it works,
triportsad.gif
= not happy)

Source
Volume (0-10)
Bass
Treble
Quality
Feels like
Samsung Galaxy S5

rolleyes.gif
AK 100 II

smily_headphones1.gif
FIIO X1

smily_headphones1.gif
Impressed​
iPod Classic

rolleyes.gif
-
triportsad.gif
PC (Asus Xonar Xense)

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Samsung Galaxy S5 (OTG) + FIIO E18

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
AK 100 II (optical) + Centrance M8 LX

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
FIIO X1 + E18 (analog, only AMP)

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
iPod Classic + E18 (analog, only AMP)
(only lossy possible)​

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope it can help,

CasperBxl

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #327 of 2,891

To be exact, your website offers two deals:

(1) orders over $1000
   (2) orders below $999.99

The Alpha Prime is exactly $999.99!
(I wish I could take up that offer, but not enough pennies yet, free international shipping is tempting).

OK, I modified the coupon to 999.99, as I've had so many "the coupon doesn't work" emails.  :)  Happy holidays!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 24, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #328 of 2,891
Received AP this morning .. going to be hard to focus on work today
L3000.gif

first impression - big difference in sound signature from the AD. hmm sounds good, i think i need some time to get my head around it

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #329 of 2,891
Received AP this morning .. going to be hard to focus on work today :L3000:

first impression - big difference in sound signature from the AD. hmm sounds good, i think i need some time to get my head around it

Same here, but it's going to be a few days. Hosting Thanksgiving is getting in the way!

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #330 of 2,891
Same here, but it's going to be a few days. Hosting Thanksgiving is getting in the way!

At least you get to host thanksgiving knowing at the end of the night they'll be waiting. I gotta host it knowing it'll be another 2 days after :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back