MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 20, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,523 of 2,891
  What are your reason(s) for selling your Alpha Dog headphones?

I just got the Massdrop Purplehearts and I like the sound of those a bit better, they seem to work well with the type of music I listen to. Although, the Alpha Dog's are probably the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn (not saying much though I've only had a few others to compare with). I like the bass the Purplehearts put out; it may be that they just pair better with my Asgard 2 but the Alpha's sound a little thin in comparison.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,524 of 2,891
  I just got the Massdrop Purplehearts and I like the sound of those a bit better, they seem to work well with the type of music I listen to. Although, the Alpha Dog's are probably the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn (not saying much though I've only had a few others to compare with). I like the bass the Purplehearts put out; it may be that they just pair better with my Asgard 2 but the Alpha's sound a little thin in comparison.

Congrats on your purchase of the Purplehearts. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying them!

I own the Alpha Primes and definitely agree that they are THE most comfortable headphones. How comfortable are the Purplehearts in comparison? Do you feel that the comfort level is good enough for your liking?

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,525 of 2,891
  Congrats on your purchase of the Purplehearts. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying them!

I own the Alpha Primes and definitely agree that they are THE most comfortable headphones. How comfortable are the Purplehearts in comparison? Do you feel that the comfort level is good enough for your liking?

I feel the comfort level is good on my ears but the headband is what will start to bother me a bit after some extended listening. With some additional padding for the headband I think the comfort will get closer to the Alpha's but still not as good.

One thing to probably note is my ears can actually fit inside the cup so these are over-ear for me, I've read they are not for other people with larger ears.

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #2,526 of 2,891
  I feel the comfort level is good on my ears but the headband is what will start to bother me a bit after some extended listening. With some additional padding for the headband I think the comfort will get closer to the Alpha's but still not as good.

One thing to probably note is my ears can actually fit inside the cup so these are over-ear for me, I've read they are not for other people with larger ears.

Lucky you, right? Are there any differences in sound signature that keep you from selling the Alpha Dogs? Some people say the Alpha Primes are a step up from the Alpha Dogs -- search this forum if you want find out more on this because I have never owned Alpha Dogs.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2,527 of 2,891
Lucky you, right? Are there any differences in sound signature that keep you from selling the Alpha Dogs? Some people say the Alpha Primes are a step up from the Alpha Dogs -- search this forum if you want find out more on this because I have never owned Alpha Dogs.

I think the Alpha's are more natural sounding. The bass is tight and less pronounced. I think for my musical tastes I like the purple hearts a bit more, the music is more lively I think. I will say though that Alpha's are more accurate, still though I don't need both pairs so I think I'm going to sell the Alpha's. Now I have to get my post count up :)

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #2,529 of 2,891
I just got my Alpha Dogs upgraded to Alpha Prime and put the Alpha Dog pads on the Massdrop E-Mu Teaks, so now I have two comfy and wonderful sounding headphones.

How would you compare the two in terms of sound? Are the E-Mu Teaks fully closed?

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #2,534 of 2,891
  Any metalheads here? If so, how do you have your Primes tuned? Also, has anyone compared the Primes to the ZMF Omni/Ori?

Thanks!

I believe I have mine tuned to the dot config that boosts treble the most. Cant remember exactly what the setup was off the top of my head.

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2,535 of 2,891
Any metalheads here? If so, how do you have your Primes tuned? Also, has anyone compared the Primes to the ZMF Omni/Ori?

Thanks!

I kept the factory tuning when I upgraded my Alphas. Never had a desire to change it: they sound amazing, even compared to the HD800S's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back