MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4,036 of 9,071

It would probably help if you gave some examples of headphones you thought were harsh to help better guess if you'd find the AD harsh.

Well... I have not a lot of experience with headphones. I've had some bose, and now the AudioTechinca A900x, which for me sound beautiful. But reading none of those are that closed to a high-end product, I've been thinking about getting one of those both next.

My harsh highs experience comes from earbuds mainly, such as the Yuin Pk2, which as great as they sound, they kind of loose it in the highs.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #4,037 of 9,071
Well... I have not a lot of experience with headphones. I've had some bose, and now the AudioTechinca A900x, which for me sound beautiful. But reading none of those are that closed to a high-end product, I've been thinking about getting one of those both next.

My harsh highs experience comes from earbuds mainly, such as the Yuin Pk2, which as great as they sound, they kind of loose it in the highs.

The highs of the AD and HE500 are a non-factor in your case. However, I will say the HE500 wins for soundtracks and orchestral due to its openess.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #4,040 of 9,071
Hey Dan if you weren't so busy I'd say let's hang out in San Diego and listen to those AD's :D

I wish my college budget had a place for $600 to disappear to... Sadly though that is the cost of my rent.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to hear these at the Head-fi meet in San Diego on November 2nd. Dan was very helpful and I got to listen to the Schiit Vali side by side to the Cavalli Liquid Glass with the ADs plugged in. Due to the noisy environment of the meet, I found the ADs to be the most satisfying headphones for the $$. If it were a quieter environment that award may have gone to the LCD-3s or LCD-X's I heard.

The ADs though are a serious contender for $600 I honestly don't think you can find better (closed or open) at the price range. If you have an open pair of headphones already that you love it's a no brainer to buy these as a compliment.
Well when I get my tax return you know where I'm headed ;D

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #4,041 of 9,071
I'd like to hear HE500, so many good reviews about them. The thing with AD though is they are closed. And even if you listen at home it may be serious advantage, especially when you don't live alone. I find AD sounding very different depending on what do I connect it to. I like they way they sound with Pan Am as amp and my T744 as dac. The dac in Pan Am makes them sound aggressive, and kinda noisy, while NAD makes sounds warmer and more polite. I really like this setup to listen to symphonies. Currently I'm listening Dvorak's No.9 directed by L.Stokowski. It is a CD so I'm using 44kHz anyways, and no need for dac capable of higher rez. But even with hi-rez tracks (like Jurassic Park soundtrack in 192kHz) I prefer to use NAD @ 48kHz, because of this warmth and politeness. Honestly with this setup I no longer try to analyze anything, nor I try to hear something special. I just hear the music and it takes me into this beautiful place whether I like it or not - my brain simply can't say no. It's no longer headphones, it's no longer digital - it's me being there. Yeah, I know this all sounds like a bib "wow" from a guy who has never heard high-end headphones, but well this is what it is, and maybe this is what many people here are looking for...:rolleyes:

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4,046 of 9,071
beerchug.gif

Actually we have caught up to October 6.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #4,048 of 9,071
I am STILL waiting for my amp, otherwise I should have already put in my order...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back