MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #3,511 of 9,071

So are you saying you consider the AD to be superior to the LCD-2? (not to put you on the spot......)

I didn't and will never say such thing because I know what sounds good to me might not sound good to you, vice versa.  But I could say that the reason I went with HE500 and not LCD2 was because the overall sound of the LCD2 was too mellow overall for my taste.  That's the same difference I found between the AD and LCD2.  The AD is getting very close to the sparkling and airy upper mid/high of the HE500.  This is why the AD is on my list to purchase for a closed pair to be used at the office.  It will happen soon if I am not ending up getting the HD800 to pair with my WA22.  When is Xmas again? 
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3,517 of 9,071
Well. Some people say these Alpha Dogs like younger brothers of HE-6, some say they share HD800 sound sign and now we have some say the Alpha Dog was way more like the LCD-2. I do not know but for sure Dan created a truly wonderful reference closed headphone and that is the Alpha Dog. It could be the best closed headphone of the year.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3,518 of 9,071
Well. Some people say these Alpha Dogs like younger brothers of HE-6, some say they share HD800 sound sign and now we have some say the Alpha Dog was way more like the LCD-2. I do not know but for sure Dan created a truly wonderful reference closed headphone and that is the Alpha Dog. It could be the best closed headphone of the year.

I would say the Fostex TH-900 or even TH-600 are up there for the closed category as well.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #3,520 of 9,071

Power wise I'd say the Dogs are closer to the HiFiman then the LCD-2.  They can sound pretty good on some portable devices and they can also gobble up power from a speaker amp.  The LCD-2 OTOH is pretty sensitive and can easily pick up noise from a speaker amp.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #3,521 of 9,071
He means that the sound signature of the headphone has shifted from similar to HE-6 > HD800 > end up being said to be similar to the LCD-2.

If this sounds like a LCD2 that doesn't leak much sign me up and take my damn money!

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #3,523 of 9,071
Ooh, Alpha Dogs are arriving in Seattle soon, probably tomorrow!
Too bad I had to switch spots with Miceblue since I have midterms on Wednesday and Friday though. 
mad.gif

I can't wait to compare the ADs not only to my Mad Dogs, but to my Stax SR-202. Over the past few weeks I've been preferring the sound signature of the Stax over the MDs. The MDs are just lacking a bit of air and treble in general.
More excitingly though, us students at the UW audio club will be hosting a meeting this weekend where we can compare the AD to all sorts of headphones. *Hopefully.* 

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #3,524 of 9,071
After reading ASR's comments, I went back to the drawing board and really tried to listen closely for any similarities to the LCD-2 (off-memory). Even with my warmest sounding setup, I still couldn't bring myself to agree. I just don't hear many similarities between the LCD-2 and the Alpha Dog. The most noticeable difference is the speed is much faster on the AD, the LCD-2 in comparison is much more mellow. In addition, I don't find that same thick sounding signature from the LCD-2. Granted I haven't heard the LCD-2 in a few months because I no longer own them - they just don't share many qualities, IMO. Also, I have heard the newer LCD-2's have gotten noticeably brighter, lifting some of the veil from the older phones. If this is true, I might feel different. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #3,525 of 9,071
After reading ASR's comments, I went back to the drawing board and really tried to listen closely for any similarities to the LCD-2 (off-memory). Even with my warmest sounding setup, I still couldn't bring myself to agree. I just don't hear many similarities between the LCD-2 and the Alpha Dog. The most noticeable difference is the speed is much faster on the AD, the LCD-2 in comparison is much more mellow. In addition, I don't find that same thick sounding signature from the LCD-2. Granted I haven't heard the LCD-2 in a few months because I no longer own them - they just don't share many qualities, IMO. Also, I have heard the newer LCD-2's have gotten noticeably brighter, lifting some of the veil from the older phones. If this is true, I might feel different. 

Would you say the AD is closer to a closed HE500 than the LCD2? That was my thought upon hearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back