MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #3,482 of 9,071

I just purchased from Audeze for $20 since I would think theirs is the highest quality available

Eh I guess Audeze wanted to homage the Grado adapter.
biggrin.gif
Or whatever OEM factory they come from..

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #3,484 of 9,071

Eh I guess Audeze wanted to homage the Grado adapter.
biggrin.gif
Or whatever OEM factory they come from..

I was thinking exactly the same thing. That end plug has to be the same OEM as Grado.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #3,485 of 9,071
  I was thinking exactly the same thing. That end plug has to be the same OEM as Grado.

If it's good enough for Grado and Audeze, it's good enough for me.

Would it be a compliment or an insult to call the Alpha Dog a poor man's Audeze LCD-XC if that was hypothetically how I assess them (and not taking for granted that "poor man" is just an expression not to be taken literally and anyone who can afford either should consider themselves fortunate)?

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #3,486 of 9,071
  Does anyone know if the 150mw x 2 V-Moda Vamp or Verza would adequately power the Alpha Dogs?  If so, I would dare to use them portably on occasion. 

Check the Arrow 3G power rating.  If it's comparable to the Verza you should be good to to. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #3,487 of 9,071

My pleasure.  As my taste skews toward a beefier low end, please keep in mind I consider the Alpha Dog as a complement to my Ultrasone Sig DJ when I want a more balanced sound rather than a replacement for them.

That actually is my thought process as well. My MD's have done an excellent job with providing that. 

On another note, I think you're VAMP/Verza will power the Alphas just ok .... I would think the Alphas need more juice than that to really sound good (but that's just for my tastes). 

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #3,489 of 9,071
  That actually is my thought process as well. My MD's have done an excellent job with providing that. 

On another note, I think you're VAMP/Verza will power the Alphas just ok .... I would think the Alphas need more juice than that to really sound good (but that's just for my tastes). 

Maybe I need to save up for the Centrance M8 to pair with the Alpha Dogs?

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3,491 of 9,071
  Would it be a compliment or an insult to call the Alpha Dog a poor man's Audeze LCD-XC if that was hypothetically how I assess them (and not taking for granted that "poor man" is just an expression not to be taken literally and anyone who can afford either should consider themselves fortunate)?

Probably,,,

Check out these reactions --> http://www.audio360.org/events_a0004_canjam-2013_an-audio360-special-report.php

More views/impressions regarding the Alpha Dogs!

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3,492 of 9,071
Hey, I plan on purchasing the Alpha Dogs soon, but I just have a few questions on amping them. I have an around $500 budget, and was considering the ALO PanAm. Would this be a reasonable amp/DAC for them? I was also considering going balanced, and looked at the Ibasso PB2/DB2. Would this drive the Alpha's reasonably well? Any other suggestions for what others have been using are welcome, too. Sorry if this has been asked before, I'd love to read through 200+ pages, but I fear I'd miss the next shipment of Alpha Dogs if I did.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #3,494 of 9,071

Probably,,,

Check out these reactions --> http://www.audio360.org/events_a0004_canjam-2013_an-audio360-special-report.php

More views/impressions regarding the Alpha Dogs!

Thanks gelocks.  This was an excellent read.  As I am inexperienced with top-tier headphones, it is nice to read that I am hearing similarly to those with much more expertise based on my relatively brief impressions at the meet.  Since the Alpha Dogs are at the top end of my budget, the choice is a no-brainer, but I also don't feel that I am compromising as the Alpha Dog is really something special at any price point.  I will wait until Dan is caught up with orders sometime in 2014.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #3,495 of 9,071
Would my Creative ZXR be able to drive the Alpha Dogs? I need some closed cans for gaming. If the ZXR is not enough to drive them properly, would using my ZXR as a DAC and a Schiit Vali amp be better?

The ZXR is very nice for a PCI-E card, the amp may or may not work, but give it a try before deciding.  The Vali is not even on Schiit's web site yet, and while a handful of people have heard it, I doubt there is a definitive answer yet to that question (although Dan has heard it).

Also, f you are only going to use these headphones for gaming, then it might be better to just get the Mad Dogs for $300 instead of the Alpha Dogs for $600.   I suppose it depends on how much you value subtle differences in the sound while you are gaming.  If you are going to use them for music listening and gaming, that's a different story.

Or see this exhaustive guide on headphones for gaming:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back