MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #2,926 of 9,071
I am the only one that think the Oppo looks retro and overall not so great?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not all of them have to agree!

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #2,927 of 9,071
Now that we're starting to catch up, here is the often requested frequency response.  This is not an average, it is not smoothed, and it's a single point measurement (vs an average of multiple passes for one phone) for our master reference headphone.  We tune our phones to be within +/-2dB of this curve.

As usual, the rolloff that starts at about 1.5K is characteristic of our headphone measurement system, and actually this represents linear.  What's going on in the plot above 5K is very random based on micro adjustments of the phone on the test fixture.  

I always hesitate to put plots out as many people expect headphone measurements to look like ruler flat speaker plots, but the reality is above 1.5K peaks and troughs are part of "flat" measurements.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #2,930 of 9,071
Oct 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #2,932 of 9,071
  And for grins, our super-expensive headphone stand (at least today).

I hope that my pair is on your new 'apple stand' 
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2,933 of 9,071
Now that we're starting to catch up, here is the often requested frequency response.  This is not an average, it is not smoothed, and it's a single point measurement (vs an average of multiple passes for one phone) for our master reference headphone.  We tune our phones to be within +/-2dB of this curve.

As usual, the rolloff that starts at about 1.5K is characteristic of our headphone measurement system, and actually this represents linear.  What's going on in the plot above 5K is very random based on micro adjustments of the phone on the test fixture.  

I always hesitate to put plots out as many people expect headphone measurements to look like ruler flat speaker plots, but the reality is above 1.5K peaks and troughs are part of "flat" measurements.  

That really is a great looking graph. Can't wait to get the demo pair!!!

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #2,934 of 9,071
That really is a great looking graph. Can't wait to get the demo pair!!!

Which should be coming to me very very soon, then on to you bud...............PM me your address by the way. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,936 of 9,071
Oct 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #2,937 of 9,071

Hey Dan, is there any form of compensation applied to the measurement here?

Regardless, the pattern definitely looks very similar to other MD measurements, except in this case the midrange with AD seems much more in-line with the rest of the FR (MD's midrange had a bit of a hill around 800 Hz with purrin's measurements), and overall sweeping balance seems better, though to really see we'd need side-by-side comparison either all with your measurements or another sources.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,938 of 9,071
We don't use compensation.  

My experience with the compensation curves is they don't apply to our test setup well.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,939 of 9,071
That is a sexy looking graph. Some reference class tuning there.

+1. That is a very nice graph. Hopefully my prescription of the sound comes close.

I may have missed our simply forgotten that I've read the answer, but how well are they responding to EQ?

My aversion to EQ has mostly vanished and I value is quite a bit more now

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,940 of 9,071
Impressive, great looking measurement graph!  but -/+ 2dB could be quite a bit depending on where in the FR the deviation will fall.  Like my Q701, all I ask for is another +2 db in the low frequencies and I'll be very happy.

Dan, is this because of a combo of variances caused by inconsistency in the drivers/cups...? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back