MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2,521 of 9,071
  First, simple thing.  The plugs are now in stock and available for DIY/custom cable work, they're on the accessories page.  Be sure to order two for any Alpha Dogs.

I'm not seeing them under accessories. A quick search for "plug" lead me to them at this link:
https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=plug&product_id=85

They are priced at $0.00
Now...the 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 in me wants to add 10 to cart and start building some cables, but I'd rather it get fixed so I can see the real cost.

Hopefully I'm not missing a second post that explains my question. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #2,525 of 9,071
  I'm not seeing them under accessories. A quick search for "plug" lead me to them at this link:
https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=plug&product_id=85

They are priced at $0.00
Now...the 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 in me wants to add 10 to cart and start building some cables, but I'd rather it get fixed so I can see the real cost.

Hopefully I'm not missing a second post that explains my question. 

Doh!  Accessories, now correctly priced.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2,527 of 9,071
  I think we just shipped our first headphone, an Alpha Dog, to Alaska.  

I got excited there for a second:  "Wait, that can't be mine...mine shouldn't be here for a few weeks..."

I'm only aware of two Head-Fiers in Alaska and it seems we'll both have Alpha Sled Dogs.

"If you're not the Alpha Dog the view never changes."

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #2,528 of 9,071
  First off, thanks to Dan for allowing the AD's to go on tour. Overall, I think these are a home run. Bear in mind, these are initial impressions, not a full blown review! I look forward to reading those in the coming days/weeks.

+ Overall, great SQ. Balanced, "reference" type sound.
+ Fantastic treble. Really extended, without a trace of harshness.
+ Scales well with better amplification. Iphones need not apply.
+ Fit and finish on cups is beautiful.
+ Great method to plug the cables in. I found myself switching between the XLR/SE cables with ease.
+ Tunable bass port. I briefly tried this doing (2) 1/2 twists clockwise, and then reversing before packing the headphone back up. Made a subtle, but noticeable difference.
-  Just a touch bass light out of the box. I don't think I had a fit issue as I had a great seal.
-  Earpads are soft and comfortable but not 100% circumaural for me which prevent ultimate comfort. YMMV, I have slightly but not excessively large ears.
-  Included stand is too short, not sure I would have any use for it.
-  Tunable bass port is a great feature, but it would be even better if there was a way to register what position the headphone is in, in order to accurately adjust it.

Compared to HD800:
 - The AD held its own very well against the HD800. Not as big a sound stage nor the same ultimate level of resolution, but the fact that I could even compare the 2 is pretty impressive. In fact, it would not surprise me if the AD becomes characterized as a closed HD800. From memory, I think the AD sound stage is similar to HE500 and larger than HD650. Well done!

Compared to 7520:
 - Much larger sound stage, more out of head than in head.
 - Large "reference" type of sound vs a smaller, punchier sound.
 - Much larger and heavier, not suitable (for me) as a portable.....which is what I use the 7520 for.

thanks for the quick impression, excellent..i like bullet points format.:)
what is the setup u used bytheway?

* actually where is the bass port/screw..? :p  is there any paintwork there...or raw 3D...u think the paintwork there will hold up?

============================
soundsage : i find the hd650 intimate, the vocals tend to be closer...but recently i was given some new songs, pretty good recordings...
and i heard sounds/instruments from way far left/right that shocked me pleasantly.

would like to hear how this AD's soundstage compared to the akg k550, one closed can with an airy spacious soundstage.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2,529 of 9,071
Yes,

I had a good listen to the prototype.  I now own a pair.  But sadly haven't got a chance to listen to them yet.  If the LCD-XC is anything like the LCD-2.2 then maybe not.  If Audeze fids a way to make these sound open and airy, then yes.  Just have to wait and see. 

If you had to pick in reference order, for Xmas, which you gonna pick first between Alpha Dog, LCD XC and TH900?

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #2,531 of 9,071

* actually where is the bass port/screw..? :p  is there any paintwork there...or raw 3D...u think the paintwork there will hold up?

soundsage : i find the hd650 intimate, the vocals tend to be closer...but recently i was given some new songs, pretty good recordings...
and i heard sounds/instruments from way far left/right that shocked me pleasantly.

would like to hear how this AD's soundstage compared to the akg k550, one closed can with an airy spacious soundstage.

You can see the port here; the small hole is the vent, the larger hole to the left is the hole to insert the allen key.  There's paint, but the allen key fits snugly and if you are reasonably careful you won't damage the paint.   

We put screws in before the painting so the paint is clean; if you back a screw out too far you can ruin the paint so never back the screw out to the point you can't see any silver through the vent, nor should you close it to any point past where silver threads fill the vent.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #2,532 of 9,071

I was looking for the plugs too and sure thing there is none..

How can I add this to my current order that I had already for my alpha dog????

https://www.mrspeakers.com/fostex-t50rp-headphone-accessories-comfort-upgrade?product_id=85

Please order separately from your existing order.  They literally can't fit in the Med Flat Rate Box alongside and Alpha Dog, so shipping will apply.  They will ship within 24 hours of order, they're in stock.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2,534 of 9,071

Setup used was Grace m903 on its own and through DNA Stratus. The K550 does have a nice sound stage but the tonality was a little off for me and the highs a little too shrill, I preferred and bought the 7520 between Momentum and K550 for portable use. The AD has a bigger sound stage than all of the above.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #2,535 of 9,071
 The AD has a bigger sound stage than all of the above.

great ! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back