MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Sep 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #1,216 of 9,071
So... the Alpha Dogs will probably begin shipping after the 20th of this month or so right?! (Hopefully not before!!! -- VACATIONS!!! Don't want the post office to return them! :wink:).

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,218 of 9,071
  Am trying to work out if the AD is universal

Universal like the Universal MD sense of the word that is with cable swapping. Probably going wrong by thinking about this when way too late at night...

Yes, because each earpiece has its own connector, with 2 wires each, so there are four wires.  The Universal Mad Dog has four wires connected to the 4-wire connector, so that you can do "balanced" if you buy a balanced amp (unlike the regular Mad Dog which uses the Fostex 3-wire connector).
The main difference between the wiring on the AD and the UMD (hey, new acronym!) is the cables on the AD are the same sort of Y-cables as on high-end headphones like HiFiMan, Audeze and HD-800.  So, on the AD (and those headphones), when you remove the cable, there ain't nothing left - just a connector on the ear piece directly wired to the driver.  There is no wire inside the headband, or on the outside of the headband (such as we see on the Mad Dog), and so one less thing to break in the future.
Of course, the advantage of the "one connector" method used on the Mad Dog, is that it is more convenient for the user when listening, and it is stylistically better to have one neat cable, rather than these weird wires coming down either side of your face.
redface.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,220 of 9,071
  What is the difference between the 4-Pin XLR and the 1/4 inch cable? Is there a significant sound difference?

The way I understand it the only difference is the way they are terminated. Once uses an XLR cable which is used with balanced outputs and the 1/4 is used with standard headphone jack outputs. I believe Dan uses the same cabling inside.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,221 of 9,071
Sep 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,222 of 9,071
Also with some balanced amps like my balanced Tube amp you would get more of a voltage swing using the balanced connection and therefore more power is available to the headphones than using the single ended connection. It depends on the design. My SS Juli sound card uses TRS balanced connection to my balanced tube amp using a pair of three pin XLR connectors.. The Juli SS sound card also has higher voltage coming out which further improves the signal to noise ratio.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #1,224 of 9,071
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 9, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #1,225 of 9,071
Oh my the font is getting bigger and bigger.

I am interested to hear how does the Alpha Dog compares with the HD800.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #1,230 of 9,071
These really do look the goods. Beautiful aesthetics, and the sq sounds mesmerising. Hoping these will achieve the same, or higher, acclaim the Mad Dogs get. If these do deliver I think I might want these as my first 'expensive' pair of headphones. I have yet to pay over $100 yet. This would be a seizable jump, I imagine. My wallet groans in anticipation.

Looking forward to people's feedback when they start shipping. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back