MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #1,141 of 9,071
Quote:
I see most DAC/Amp recommendation are the same as those for the Mad Dogs (The Schiit stack, iBasso PB2/DB2, etc.).
That's a bit strange since the voicing of the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs is quite different from the previews ("LCD-2 like" vs "HD-800 like").

These gears are commonly described as lean or bright sounding - which might suit the dark MDs particularly well, indeed - and I doubt these would be recommended for the HD-800 (for their voicing) 
confused.gif

Did I miss something?

I'd recommend the NFB-28 or NFB-10ES2, too.

I agree with this. Just based off of what I heard when I demo'd the AD, I'm going to assume a warmer sounding amp is going to synergize better. I'm planning on using a tube amp. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,144 of 9,071
Quote:

Audio-gd NFB-10ES2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesPx725mpo&feature=player_embedded

I'd recommend the NFB-28 or NFB-10ES2, too.

Yeah, that's the review that turned me onto the 10ES2,   I know that it will be good and to some degree better than any of the portable solutions,   but what I'm wondering is how much better?  If I'm only going to have 1 DAC/ AMP setup for now,  is  it soo much better as to make the loss of mobility worth it?  

Quote:
I use the PB2/DB2 exclusively with the Mad Dogs.  Dan uses the same stack as well (along with half a dozen other amps).  He has an Astell and Kern AK100 that he runs optical out to the DB2 with one of the sysconcepts optical cables.  I just use line out from an ipod touch or classic, or usb from my macbook air.  It droves the MD's and my HD650's really well.  Is it a Woo WA6 or a
Burson soloist or Shiit Mjolnir?  No, of course not, but it is darned good, and very portable.  Yes, it drives the AD's just as well as it drives the MD's.  At somewhere between $600 and $700 new, there are probably desktop options that equal or surpass it.  I am hoping that my HIFI-M8 which arrives on Tuesday, equals or surpasses it in a similar price range.  The nice thing about the PB2/DB2, is you can occasionally find one in the FS threads for around $350.  In fact, stay tuned.  If the M8 is all I expect, I will likely pass the iBasso gear on at a nice price.  I only need one setup, and pulling digital from an iDevice would be the keeper for me, as long as SQ supports keeping the M8.

Thanks!  -Exactly the type of experience I was looking for!  Please keep us up to date with your M8 / AD experience and give me a heads-up if your iBasso combo is about to hit the FS thread market. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,145 of 9,071
It was a hard decision but I put up my beloved K702 Anniversary up for sale to either upgrade my MD to the Alpha Dog... or get the K712 when it drops a bit in price. It will all depend on how large the soundstage on these are. They don't have to be as large as the AKGs but hopefully close to it. I can't wailt until we see some more impressions once these get out in the world. And hopefully Dan sends these in to Mad Lust Envy for a detailed review...

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #1,146 of 9,071
Quote:
It was a hard decision but I put up my beloved K702 Anniversary up for sale to either upgrade my MD to the Alpha Dog... or get the K712 when it drops a bit in price. It will all depend on how large the soundstage on these are. They don't have to be as large as the AKGs but hopefully close to it. I can't wailt until we see some more impressions once these get out in the world. And hopefully Dan sends these in to Mad Lust Envy for a detailed review...

From what I hear with going from the k712 to the anniversary is not much of an upgrade but a side grade. I wanna hear them for myself though and see how they sound compared to an hd650, especially the bass. I think they would make a great pair to have. AD+k712 or AD+650. 

Personally I am going for an he-400 and AD as a pair and a ZMF t50 modd. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,149 of 9,071
I wanna see Alpha Dog compared to LCD-2 rev 1 drove by Bifrost Uber and M^3 amplifier.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #1,151 of 9,071
I want to know the exact release date and the exact date for signing up to send in mad dog mods. 

I am getting impatient. Also when the tour starts. I hear crickets around here on this thread now. Nothing more really to say until we get some more reviews. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #1,153 of 9,071
Quote:
I want to know the exact release date and the exact date for signing up to send in mad dog mods. 

I am getting impatient. Also when the tour starts. I hear crickets around here on this thread now. Nothing more really to say until we get some more reviews. 

Dan ,has stated that the upgrades will start to take place some time after the AD'd start shipping.
Then-he will let us know,exactly on what date ,we can start sending the MD's for the upgrade

I think?? he's coming back on the 2nd,or 3rd of September-then we will know more--upgrades might start  toward the end of September

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,154 of 9,071
Quote:
Dan ,has stated that the upgrades will start to take place some time after the AD'd start shipping.
Then-he will let us know,exactly on what date ,we can start sending the MD's for the upgrade

I think?? he's coming back on the 2nd,or 3rd of September-then we will know more--upgrades might start  toward the end of September

I knew it would be after they ship.

You guys are right just wanted exact dates and I'm bored and impatient. Please forgive me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back