MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 27, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #8,449 of 9,071
Can someone speak of the bass, mids, and soundstage of the Alpha Dog with the Micro iDSD? Spec-wise, the iDSD should be more than enough to drive the Alpha Dog with 2W peak to peak at 50Ω but at these prices, one can't be too careful. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #8,450 of 9,071
  Can someone speak of the bass, mids, and soundstage of the Alpha Dog with the Micro iDSD? Spec-wise, the iDSD should be more than enough to drive the Alpha Dog with 2W peak to peak at 50Ω but at these prices, one can't be too careful. 

I've not heard it but I've heard good feedback from one customer.  FWIW.  Certainly 2W is more than ample power...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #8,451 of 9,071
I'm expecting my AD within the next few hours.  I'm going to connect to a Beyerdynamic Headzone H1 that's currently connected via optical to my PC's on-board sound card.  I have a Creative Zxr sound card I can install also. Does it matter?

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #8,452 of 9,071
Update Alpha Primes delivered!!:   I'm no audio guru so no fancy review here.

Summery:

I'm speechless!! The sounds coming of of these things is just unreal.  I have owned Boss/Beat and then  Beyerdynamic MMX300 and I thought they sounded Amazing.  I now know a whole new level of music. Thank you Mr Speaker!!

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #8,453 of 9,071
  Update Alpha Primes delivered!!:   I'm no audio guru so no fancy review here.

Summery:

I'm speechless!! The sounds coming of of these things is just unreal.  I have owned Boss/Beat and then  Beyerdynamic MMX300 and I thought they sounded Amazing.  I now know a whole new level of music. Thank you Mr Speaker!!

Wow. I thought the upgrade from the AD was spectacular. You must be blown away!

Are you ok?  Can you walk?  Do you need assistance?  Remember, we're here to help if you need us... 

biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #8,456 of 9,071
Hello all you Alpha Dog/Prime peoples,

I've been loving the Alpha Dogs through my Fiio E17/E09K setup.  I've just grabbed a Lyr based on what I saw on this thread; it sounds like a worthy upgrade.  However, I can't convince myself that getting another DAC is worth even the $100 I might drop on a Modi compared to the E17 I already have.

So, can anyone convince me either way?

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #8,457 of 9,071
Well the DAC is a part of the chain. I basically have two dacs one Wolfson based and the other ESS based. Using the same amp (EHHA Rev A), the Wolfson synergizes better with both the EHHA and Primes. It tames the sometimes edginess of the APs. Can't speak about the Dogs because I've just recently finished the amp, while my ADs were being upgraded. So in the chain my ES9023 DAC is overall more brighter. I can tube roll with the EHHA to knock off some of the edginess. But in the end the Gamma-2 (Wolfson 8741) is a better match. YMMV.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #8,458 of 9,071
Has anyone here tried both the Burson Soloist and Burson Soloist SL with the Alpha Dog? What differences can I expect from one or the other or is the Alpha Dog capable of portraying these significantly? Also, what other headphone amplifiers can you recommend for a (slightly) more dark/warm/bassy sound with the Alpha Dog while retaining midrange clarity.

As these are going to be long-term investments for me, currently my options are the:

HiFiMan EF-6
Burson Soloist
Burson Soloist SL

Woo Audio WA7 (with EH tube upgrades, supposedly darker)

Any other?

Thanks all

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #8,459 of 9,071
Has anyone here tried both the Burson Soloist and Burson Soloist SL with the Alpha Dog? What differences can I expect from one or the other or is the Alpha Dog capable of portraying these significantly? Also, what other headphone amplifiers can you recommend for a (slightly) more dark/warm/bassy sound with the Alpha Dog while retaining midrange clarity.

As these are going to be long-term investments for me, currently my options are the:

HiFiMan EF-6
Burson Soloist
Burson Soloist SL

Woo Audio WA7 (with EH tube upgrades, supposedly darker)

Any other?

Thanks all

Soloist SL is very nice with the Alpha Dog. If you've got the budget and plan to buy more demanding headphones in future, go with one of the other two on your list. There's also the V200 in that price range. I can't comment on how high they scale but others have said that they do.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #8,460 of 9,071
Soloist SL is very nice with the Alpha Dog. If you've got the budget and plan to buy more demanding headphones in future, go with one of the other two on your list. There's also the V200 in that price range. I can't comment on how high they scale but others have said that they do.

Were you able to get to compare the V281 single ended (essentially V220) and the V200 with the Alphas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back