MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #8,371 of 9,071
Here's the way I see it.

Alpha Dog: 599

You want an Alpha Prime?  Then either:

Alpha Dog you already own: 599
+ New Alpha Prime: 999

or

+ Upgrade to Alpha Prime: 420

You simply cannot include the cost of the product you already bought and paid for any other way with any meaning.  It's an upgrade, or an addition.,  It has nothing to do with your earlier decision to buy an Alpha Dog.  You already own it.  The choice is to upgrade at a cost that is reduced from the cost of new, or to add a second product to your collection.  The cost of the product you already own is not part of the equation.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #8,372 of 9,071
  Here's the way I see it.

Alpha Dog: 599

You want an Alpha Prime?  Then either:

+ New Alpha Prime: 999

or

+ Upgrade to Alpha Prime: 420

You simply cannot include the cost of the product you already bought and paid for any other way with any meaning.  It's an upgrade, or an addition.,  It has nothing to do with your earlier decision to buy an Alpha Dog.  You already own it.  The choice is to upgrade at a cost that is reduced from the cost of new, or to add a second product to your collection.  The cost of the product you already own is not part of the equation.

Oh yeah.  I forgot.  The speaker brand of choice for me is Ohm.  Ohm makes quasi Omni-directional speakers, and they service and upgrade every model they ever made with two exceptions: the Model A and the Model F.  Google Ohm F- it's seriously worth it.  I used to own a pair. 

Anyway, with Ohm you can upgrade to current drivers: if you bought an Ohm 2X for example in the 80's, early 90's, you can upgrade to the current 2000 series for less than half the cost of new.  It's almost exactly like Mr. Speakers.  I can only hope that Mr. Speakers can hang around for over 40 years.  And Ohm has been designed and built in Brooklyn, NY since their inception. There are a lot of parallels between Ohm and Mr. Speakers, which is why I bought the original Alpha's before more than a handful had even heard them.

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #8,373 of 9,071

Oh yeah.  I forgot.  The speaker brand of choice for me is Ohm.  Ohm makes quasi Omni-directional speakers, and they service and upgrade every model they ever made with two exceptions: the Model A and the Model F.  Google Ohm F- it's seriously worth it.  I used to own a pair. 

Anyway, with Ohm you can upgrade to current drivers: if you bought an Ohm 2X for example in the 80's, early 90's, you can upgrade to the current 2000 series for less than half the cost of new.  It's almost exactly like Mr. Speakers.  I can only hope that Mr. Speakers can hang around for over 40 years.  And Ohm has been designed and built in Brooklyn, NY since their inception. There are a lot of parallels between Ohm and Mr. Speakers, which is why I bought the original Alpha's before more than a handful had even heard them.

Oh my God!! I used to own the Ohm F's also. In fact the Ohm F's were the first speakers I brought after my first full time job after college. I had to put the Ohm F's on layaway for a month so I can save enough to buy them. Nothing on the market sounded like them. I was offered a trade up by Ohm but sadly the new models did not sound like the F's so I did not pursuit that option. I wanted to rebuilt them but the cost was very high since they are one of the most difficult speaker to rebuilt.

Thanks for the blast from the past. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #8,374 of 9,071
  Oh my God!! I used to own the Ohm F's also. In fact the Ohm F's were the first speakers I brought after my first full time job after college. I had to put the Ohm F's on layaway for a month so I can save enough to buy them. Nothing on the market sounded like them. I was offered a trade up by Ohm but sadly the new models did not sound like the F's so I did not pursuit that option. I wanted to rebuilt them but the cost was very high since they are one of the most difficult speaker to rebuilt.

Thanks for the blast from the past. 
beerchug.gif

LOL!  I am always looking for the "Ohm" of headphones, and everything that I buy, for that matter!

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #8,376 of 9,071
I love the ADs but I am Primed for the upgrade. I just put my order in.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #8,377 of 9,071

And you do have a point, and I'm sorry if I came off as uppity about it.  There is a financial risk with niche products like this, much more than going for Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser or any of the big brands.

On the other hand, they don't offer this kind of service.  When they release a new headphone, you pretty much have to buy the whole thing: there are no incremental upgrades.  If Mr. Speakers were Sennheiser, the entry price to them would be $999, and if you bought the Alpha Dogs, well, you paid full price for them as well.  No option to upgrade for $420.

That should attract the stoner crowd!

Totally agree with you, I like the way Dan Talks to you and makes one of the best headphones made. and an upgrade path too 

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #8,380 of 9,071
I just listened to "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter In a Small Town" by Pearl Jam.  That is the song that goes "hearts and thoughts they fade.. fade away" for those who didn't recognize the song by its abnormally long title.

So awesome to listen to through the Alpha Dogs!!!

It's going to be hard to upgrade to the Prime when I'm already loving these headphones too much!!! This Saturday I will finally get to demo them!

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #8,381 of 9,071
  oh.. I'm late..  I read a email today, and I wanted to upgrade my AD.. It's out of stock now..
frown.gif

Looks like there is one upgrade spot left (under mad dog to alpha prime upgrade) - maybe email/PM Mr Speakers to see if you can take that last spot?  He switched around the upgrade slots earlier as the AD upgrades were the first to run out.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #8,382 of 9,071
I've really been putting the Alpha Dogs through a workout the past few days, in preparation for their upgrade to the Primes.  I've been listening to a lot of stuff, from Anna Calvi's first album, some Fionna Apple, Tori Amos and some Cowboy Junkies.  I just got done with Procupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Plant, which is my most beloved recording of the past 10 years.

If I had never heard the Hifiman HE-560 or the 400i's, I seriously doubt the Dogs would have gathered dust for the past few months.  Especially with the Porcupine Tree material, their ability to render complex recordings with depth and control is pretty amazing.

I really wonder just how much the Primes can improve things...

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #8,383 of 9,071
I heard the Primes  at RMAF and I'm sure you will be happy! I was thinking about upgrading my AD's but I am too much of a completist, so will order new  Primes in November...  My AD's sound great with a Vanquish cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back