MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #8,357 of 9,071
I had split the allocation between Mad Dog and Alpha Dog owners, but Alpha owners snapped them all up and Mad Dog was slower, so I've taken 10 from the Mad Dog and Mad Dog Pro and put them in the Alpha bucket.  

There are now more available...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #8,358 of 9,071
Hoping the upgrade process goes well, I won't have the spare funds to upgrade until probably next year (if it ends up being offered). Good luck, Dan!

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #8,359 of 9,071
Dan, if an upgrade path via modification is not possible, what about simply swapping the drivers?  It would cost more than a mod, of course, but if the ear cups and other hardware is reused it seems the cost would still be less than buying a new set of Primes.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #8,360 of 9,071
So, it's $20's more in the grand scheme of things (based on money spent at this point) to get the upgrade done to go from Alpha to Alpha Prime instead of just buying a new pair?  Sense that does not make, as my Alpha Dogs end up being more costly to me in the end. 

Odd business model, but good luck, seems to work for Apple.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #8,361 of 9,071
  So, it's $20's more in the grand scheme of things (based on money spent at this point) to get the upgrade done to go from Alpha to Alpha Prime instead of just buying a new pair?  Sense that does not make, as my Alpha Dogs end up being more costly to me in the end. 

Odd business model, but good luck, seems to work for Apple.

How do you figure that?

Upgrade = $420. new Prime = $999.99  It's not like the money you already paid for the Alpha Dogs is magically returned to your account by either transaction.  :)

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #8,364 of 9,071

How do you figure that?

Upgrade = $420. new Prime = $999.99  It's not like the money you already paid for the Alpha Dogs is magically returned to your account by either transaction.  :)

Easily, because I am looking at the total investment that has been made, not just the cost of the upgrade.  Nor did I state anywhere money would magically return to my account, it's called ROI.  I paid $599.99 for the Alpha Dogs about 4'ish months ago, I would then have to pay $420 additional for the upgrade which in turn makes the fairly new original Alpha Dogs more expensive than their counterpart, the Alpha Primes. 

Considering the time frame to which the AD's were released then only a short while later having the AD Primes were released, was hoping for a little more incentive to upgrade by the manufacturer to the loyal customers who bought AD's and helped build his business, but if this is the option then this is the option.  It is his business and his choice.

I don't agree with the practice, it's my opinion, doesn't mean you have to agree with it or even like it, by all means enjoy your upgrade.  Won't say anything else about it, as it will just take the thread off track.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #8,365 of 9,071

Easily, because I am looking at the total investment that has been made, not just the cost of the upgrade.  Nor did I state anywhere money would magically return to my account, it's called ROI.  I paid $599.99 for the Alpha Dogs about 4'ish months ago, I would then have to pay $420 additional for the upgrade which in turn makes the fairly new original Alpha Dogs more expensive than their counterpart, the Alpha Primes. 

Considering the time frame to which the AD's were released then only a short while later having the AD Primes were released, was hoping for a little more incentive to upgrade by the manufacturer to the loyal customers who bought AD's and helped build his business, but if this is the option then this is the option.  It is his business and his choice.

I don't agree with the practice, it's my opinion, doesn't mean you have to agree with it or even like it, by all means enjoy your upgrade.  Won't say anything else about it, as it will just take the thread off track.

I knew that going in on the first batch, and in fact took a huge risk and ordered the Alpha Dogs the first day they were available for pre-order.  The truth seems to be that it's more labor-intensive to remove and then modify the driver.  I get that.

It goes beyond that.  This first batch of upgrades is a fairly large risk for Dan, and he stands to loose a few thousand dollars if things don't go well.  That is the fun and excitement of dealing with a boutique operation. I am willing to share that risk at an overall additional cost of $20, which is 2% of the total cost anyway.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #8,366 of 9,071

You don't agree with what practice?  Charging for upgrades?  Releasing new models?  What?

Your logic makes no sense.  First off, trying to realize financial ROI on any consumer electronics product of any type is a fools errand.  Secondly, it really doesn't matter what you paid for the Alpha Dogs because that was their price and you have them.  That's a done deal completely separate from any cost for Alpha Prime.  Any ROI from that completed purchase is the enjoyment you get from listening to them, or perhaps the value they may have on the used market.  So your choices, should you choose to upgrade to the Alphas Prime, is to pay the upgrade fee, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the original price of the Alpha dogs, or to buy a new set of Alpha Prime, which again has nothing to do with the price you paid for the Alpha Dogs.

Trying to conflate the two transactions is illogical.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #8,367 of 9,071
  You don't agree with what practice?  Charging for upgrades?  Releasing new models?  What?

Your logic makes no sense.  First off, trying to realize financial ROI on any consumer electronics product of any type is a fools errand.  Secondly, it really doesn't matter what you paid for the Alpha Dogs because that was their price and you have them.  That's a done deal completely separate from any cost for Alpha Prime.  Any ROI from that completed purchase is the enjoyment you get from listening to them, or perhaps the value they may have on the used market.  So your choices, should you choose to upgrade to the Alphas Prime, is to pay the upgrade fee, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the original price of the Alpha dogs, or to buy a new set of Alpha Prime, which again has nothing to do with the price you paid for the Alpha Dogs.

Trying to conflate the two transactions is illogical.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #8,368 of 9,071

We will have to agree to disagree.

And you do have a point, and I'm sorry if I came off as uppity about it.  There is a financial risk with niche products like this, much more than going for Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser or any of the big brands.

On the other hand, they don't offer this kind of service.  When they release a new headphone, you pretty much have to buy the whole thing: there are no incremental upgrades.  If Mr. Speakers were Sennheiser, the entry price to them would be $999, and if you bought the Alpha Dogs, well, you paid full price for them as well.  No option to upgrade for $420.

That should attract the stoner crowd!

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #8,369 of 9,071
To loose only $20 dollars in your original investment in the Alpha Dog when trading up to Primes is a great deal. It is rare for other companies to offer upgrades and when they do you loose more than 2% in your investment. Instead of complaining I think we should give Dan Clark a round of applause!
dt880smile.png
I wish more companies will follow Dan example to give the consumer service more focus.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #8,370 of 9,071
New Alpha Dog          -$599
Sale of used AD         $450?
New Prime                -$999
Total                      -$1,148

-OR-

New Alpha Dog          -$599
Upgrade                -$420
Total                       -$1,019

As I already have the Alpha Dogs, and don't need both, I chose the number closer to $0, though depending on what one is actually able to get in resale of the AD, a brand new pair is not that much difference, and it is a brand new pair vs. an upgrade of your old pair.  That said, Dan's upgrades are a pretty premium deal.

As to new models - yes please!  It allows me to choose the best, or pick a different price point in a model line of headphones I enjoy.

All the usual acronyms surrounding "my opinion of course...."

Edited for bad math and wth was I thinking errors…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back