MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jan 8, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #4,966 of 9,071
I'm glad to read good things about the Soloist with the AD.  I have one on the way, which should be here by Saturday (I hope).  More on that later....

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #4,967 of 9,071
(1)  Hard cases -- For the discussion a few pages back about hard cases and which ones would fit the AD, indicated below are the AD dimensions.  These are the minimum dimensions measured with the side rails pushed all the way up and with the cables unattached.

8 1/2" L  x  7 1/8" W  x  3 3/4" H

Note that the case manufacturers sometimes use L, W and H differently, and also sometimes give the exterior dimensions rather than the interior dimensions. 

(2) Break-in -- There hasn't been much discussion about break-in for the AD.  Break-in is clearly needed, as with just about any headphone.  When I first received these yesterday and tried them without any break-in, they sounded ok but did not have the superb characteristics I heard at the NYC meet.  However, with just 5 hours of break-in the sound was much improved.  And, after running them overnight, the sound was further improved and the phones sounded outstanding. I continue to run them and will see if there is further improvement over time.  Whether these need the 100 hours that is sometimes stated for other phones, I couldn't say.  Another member awhile back mentioned at least 20 hours.

So, if you get your AD shipment and they don't sound exceptional right at the beginning, give them some time to break-in.  

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #4,969 of 9,071
Well I got the audition pair yesterday to double check my results due to the issue of a "loose screw" that occurred sometime between my first listen and the Seattle university gents getting the unit. 

I praised the Alpha Dog very highly in my first recap/review (which was not a formal review in that it was written in this thread) and this listen did nothing to make me change my mind about how much I love this headphone. 

First - the negative - it's a bit heavy.  When you're used to a TH900 I do notice this a bit, and couple that with the fact that I just had neck surgery just 15 days ago, it seems heavier than I remember.  May be due to the surgery impacting my strength.  But regardless, these are uber comfy in large part due to the amazing Alpha pads, of which I own 3 pair (one on my Q40, D2000, Pro900) and think they are the best pad for not only comfort but sound.  Had them on my D5000 as well but traded that off to get the TH900's.

Cannot think of any other negative................and I tried. 

The one thing I was always skeptical of and was SURE was not going to be acceptable to me was the bass.  I'm a basshead, not XB500 basshead (tho I used to be), but as my signature will attest I have a great collection of strong bass headphones...................and the Alpha can hang with them, when driven by my vintage amps.  Haven't even tried these with a portable amp as I have no interest in using them portably if and more likely when I buy them.  Out of my Pioneer Spec amp system, the entire sound is glorious.  Mids are amazing, just got done listening to Kem, who is my current favorite male vocalist, and the sound is so real and lifelike that it's a treat.  Highs are amazing as well.

Overall, what is there to say that hasn't been said.  They look great, feel great, sound great.  May be buying a pair this year. 

Thank you Dan for the audition "daable check".................it is appreciated.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #4,975 of 9,071
But it does make the Alpha sound more liquid.

beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 10, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #4,978 of 9,071

Bass seems tighter with a bit less impact on the AD's vs HE-500, between the two I would go for the AD's as having 'better' bass I suppose. Mainly using my Soloist to drive them but did have a quick go with my Vali as well (preferred the Soloist). Will be hooking them up to my Ember sometime this week and will probably try them out of my E12 at some point as well.

Agree with the first bold statement.  Disagree with the 2nd one.  It's 2 presentations of bass.  Which one you prefer is the 'better' for you only.  Both do reach equally low to my ears.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #4,980 of 9,071

Bass seems tighter with a bit less impact on the AD's vs HE-500, between the two I would go for the AD's as having 'better' bass I suppose. Mainly using my Soloist to drive them but did have a quick go with my Vali as well (preferred the Soloist). Will be hooking them up to my Ember sometime this week and will probably try them out of my E12 at some point as well.

Agree with the first bold statement.  Disagree with the 2nd one.  It's 2 presentations of bass.  Which one you prefer is the 'better' for you only.  Both do reach equally low to my ears.

The AD's bass is more natural to my ears than the HE-500. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back