MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jan 2, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #4,846 of 9,071
  Crap. Does that mean that AD owners must also buy the HD800?? This is getting expensive....

NO, just need to buy an Woo Audio Headphones Stand. 
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #4,848 of 9,071
Jan 2, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #4,853 of 9,071
Happy 2014 to you!

I was wondering about loudspeakers. I very much got used to detailed sound of Alpha Dogs, and my loudspeakers are less detailed.
I've got QA 2050i powered from NAD T744 toslink-ed to LG BP630. Loudspeakers are connected two 7m cables, and each cable has two stranded copper wires around 1mm thick.

I've been to an audiophile shop and guy told me that better cable would change a lot if it comes to detail. I started wondering if that can be true. In theory it makes sense, but I think it's probably a bulls***t, and it's these QA 2050i not delivering enough detail. What do you think? Are there any loudspeakers you can think of that sound like Alpha Dogs?

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #4,854 of 9,071
Some people will disagree, but generally the cable makes little difference.  You would be far better off buying better speakers than mucking around with cables.  Like with most things, changing the biggest thing that shapes the audio will have the biggest effect.  You're better off with $1000 speakers and $10 cable than $500 speakers and $500 cable!

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #4,855 of 9,071
  Some people will disagree, but generally the cable makes little difference.  You would be far better off buying better speakers than mucking around with cables.  Like with most things, changing the biggest thing that shapes the audio will have the biggest effect.  You're better off with $1000 speakers and $10 cable than $500 speakers and $500 cable!

This is not a fair comparison, the first system costs $10 more! I will obviously sound better because of that...

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #4,856 of 9,071
No, quite seriously QA 2050i is indeed $500 price point. They sound more detailed than my RH-A30 headphones, but definitely less than Alpha Dogs, with which I can hear very subtle things. I was wondering maybe if I remove speaker covers I'd get better sound, but still it's not going to be Alpha Dogs grade. When I was buying QA 2050i I have also given a listen to wharfdale Diamond 155 and 157, and I really didn't like their sound signature. I liked clarity of cymbals on QA 2050i more. However at home I can see that Diamonds would probably give me more detail. Anyone other opinions? Main question remains: Which loudspeakers you recon will sound exactly the same as Alpha Dogs? Maybe monitors? How about KRK?

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #4,857 of 9,071
No, quite seriously QA 2050i is indeed $500 price point. They sound more detailed than my RH-A30 headphones, but definitely less than Alpha Dogs, with which I can hear very subtle things. I was wondering maybe if I remove speaker covers I'd get better sound, but still it's not going to be Alpha Dogs grade. When I was buying QA 2050i I have also given a listen to wharfdale Diamond 155 and 157, and I really didn't like their sound signature. I liked clarity of cymbals on QA 2050i more. However at home I can see that Diamonds would probably give me more detail. Anyone other opinions? Main question remains: Which loudspeakers you recon will sound exactly the same as Alpha Dogs? Maybe monitors? How about KRK?

Comparing headphones to speakers is not really a fair comparison at all. You won't be able to find a speaker that sounds identical in sound to any headphone, just simple physics and design limitations. They both have their strong points. I've found that until you spend some real money on speakers, headphones are going to sound more detailed. IMO because the driver is closer ergo soundwaves have less distance to travel. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #4,858 of 9,071
You are right and not right at the same time. If you take loudspeakers from $10k-15k price range I'm pretty sure they will out-do Alpha Dogs with huge margin. So the question remains, if you were to get level of detail similar to Alpha Dogs, which speakers or at what price point would they be?

BTW Removing dust covers helped, but it's still not as much detail as Alpha Dogs, so I recon that something in higher price range like 1k-2k should be close to Alpha Dog. I'm pretty sure there are people here who listen not only to headphones, but they also listen to speakers, so I'd love to hear their opinion.

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #4,859 of 9,071
You are right and not right at the same time. If you take loudspeakers from $10k-15k price range I'm pretty sure they will out-do Alpha Dogs with huge margin. So the question remains, if you were to get level of detail similar to Alpha Dogs, which speakers or at what price point would they be?

BTW Removing dust covers helped, but it's still not as much detail as Alpha Dogs, so I recon that something in higher price range like 1k-2k should be close to Alpha Dog. I'm pretty sure there are people here who listen not only to headphones, but they also listen to speakers, so I'd love to hear their opinion.

I said you need to spend good money to get similar amount of detail from speakers, don't see how that differs from what you just regurgitated. In any event yes, I agree some good monitors would be close. But again, there are so many variables. 

I don't listen to just headphones, and am familiar with the differences, no "schooling" needed. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #4,860 of 9,071
Happy 2014 to you!

I was wondering about loudspeakers. I very much got used to detailed sound of Alpha Dogs, and my loudspeakers are less detailed.
I've got QA 2050i powered from NAD T744 toslink-ed to LG BP630. Loudspeakers are connected two 7m cables, and each cable has two stranded copper wires around 1mm thick.

I've been to an audiophile shop and guy told me that better cable would change a lot if it comes to detail. I started wondering if that can be true. In theory it makes sense, but I think it's probably a bulls***t, and it's these QA 2050i not delivering enough detail. What do you think? Are there any loudspeakers you can think of that sound like Alpha Dogs?

Are you listening to the Alpha Dogs out of the NAD T744 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back