MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #4,606 of 9,071

It's by no means definitive, but it's always a start.

So how long is the upgrade list at the moment? Does anyone have a number?

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #4,607 of 9,071
I think a separate thread just for MrSpeakers posts about ordering and fulfillment "We are shipping October 30th now" "cable connectors are now available on the web site" etc. would be a better idea than making people wade through a discussion thread.

For example, the Schiit Vali thread is about 60% jokes, good luck trying to find specific information. :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #4,609 of 9,071
Received a wonderful email from Dan and Mr. Speakers,

Happy Holidays

Wow, it’s really almost Christmas!  On behalf of the team I want to both thank you for your support and enthusiasm for the Alpha Dogs and to wish you the happiest of holidays!
The Alpha Dog launch has been simultaneously really fun and pretty tough.  We have been running 6 or 7 shifts to keep to our delivery commitments, holding at about 7 weeks (so thanks for not yelling at us!).   I hope we’ll be below 6 soon.
Partly this is because many of the Alphas take 4-6 tuning passes to get to where we really like them.  Measurements are only part of the production process, a lot of listening and tuning goes into each, and I’m still doing all the tuning.  Our ultimate tuning test is whether or not the Alphas get our tails wagging.

Our First Two Awards
I guess the “Tail Wagging” test is working out pretty well!  We are really pleased the Alphas have already won two awards from reviewers; a 6Moons Blue Moon award from Srajan Ebaen, and a Writer’s Choice award from Positive Feedback’s own Michael Mercer.

A Special THANK YOU to Alpha Dog owners
Many of you took a leap of faith and ordered a new product, built with new manufacturing technology, even before our product was shipping, and without photos of an actual finished paint job.  In many ways, you collectively created the “Kickstarter” campaign we never ran.
Your confidence and support have really helped us a lot.  For those who have their phones, I really hope you feel we earned it.  For those of you who own an Alpha, if you have any feedback or suggestions I am always happy to hear it.  Email me at dan@mrspeakers.com, anytime.
As a special “Thank You!” to our first Alpha Dog customers, we’re extending the one-year warranty by a full year for orders placed before 12/31/2013.  
Also, if you ordered your Alphas this year you’re eligible for ONE free tune-up.  This offer will not be extended.

Here are the terms:
  • Alpha Dog original owners who purchased an Alpha Dog before 12/31/13 receive an automatic warranty extension from one to two years from date of purchase, as well as one free tune-up
  • Proof of purchase is required
  • These offers are non-transferable
  • The tune-up specifics are:
    • MrSpeakers will determine at it’s sole discretion if and when updates are recommended and available for Alpha Dogs and which units the update applies to (e.g. all ordered before 12/31/13, units shipped between specific dates, etc).
    • It is entirely possible we will not announce any tune-ups at all (translation: there were no material changes to sound quality so it’d be a waste of everyone’s time).  We do not a promise a tune up is forthcoming.
    • The tune up offer covers only “soft tuning” and does not include hardware or tuning changes that may be specific to hardware changes.
    • If hardware upgrades become available, MrSpeakers at its sole discretion may offer a fee-based hardware upgrade.
    • The owner is responsible for shipping both to and from MrSpeakers.
    • Should a tune-up become available, we will post a notice on Head-Fi and distribute an announcement through our newsletters.  If there is no announcement there is no tune up available.
    •  
So again, on behalf of the team, I would like to say THANK YOU to all of you.  We hope you have a safe and happy holidy, filled with excellent tunes.
Dan, Gus, Peter, Matt, Laurie, and Jason

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #4,610 of 9,071

It's by no means definitive, but it's always a start.

So how long is the upgrade list at the moment? Does anyone have a number?

No numbers yet, there are about 100 people on the list.  We'll be sending out the first 10 upgrade emails in the first week of Jan.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #4,611 of 9,071
I'm looking for someone in the Orange County area that owns the Alpha Dog and would be willing to let me audition them for a short while to compare to the Mad Dogs v3.2 that I own. 

Currently on the upgrade waiting list, likely near the last 1/4 of that list, but would like to be able to cement my choice before my number is reached for payment. 

I would be looking for something after the holidays since I know everyone is so busy and I wouldn't want to interrupt precious family time. So scheduling something in early January would probably work well. 

I appreciate all those that have left reviews, they've been helpful. Unfortunately, my current cash flow just won't allow me to own both right now. 

Please send me a PM if this is something you might be willing to do rather than post a reply here in the thread. Thank you.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #4,613 of 9,071

And if I'm a good boy maybe Santa will tell me I'm one of the first 10. :wink:

I hope I am... I signed up within minutes of it being posted here.  On one hand, it's been sad watching all the other people get their ADs while I've been waiting (patiently!) for the upgrades to start.  On the other hand, I'm happy Dan is giving us the option to upgrade, which he totally didn't have to do... so thanks for that Dan.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4,615 of 9,071
You're welcome.  Honestly, if I'd known how many orders were going to come in I'd have waited to announce.  I didn't mean to keep people waiting for upgrades for so long!  We'll get there, so thanks for the patience.

beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #4,616 of 9,071
  You're welcome.  Honestly, if I'd known how many orders were going to come in I'd have waited to announce.  I didn't mean to keep people waiting for upgrades for so long!  We'll get there, so thanks for the patience.

beerchug.gif

Is it at all appropriate to give us even an approximate number of total orders?

My apologies if this has been asked before.

BTW, still more impressed with my AD's with every listen.  I hope to post more impressions when I am done with finals next weekend.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #4,617 of 9,071

BTW, still more impressed with my AD's with every listen.  I hope to post more impressions when I am done with finals next weekend.

I can say that the list is pretty significant, at least to us, which is great.  

I'm glad you're enjoying them more with time! 

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #4,618 of 9,071

he did just 5-6 posts back.

From Dan:

"No numbers yet, there are about 100 people on the list.  We'll be sending out the first 10 upgrade emails in the first week of Jan."

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #4,619 of 9,071
  The solution to that is, instead of making more noise, refraining from posting until you have something valuable to add to the discussion. 
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

Sorry ahead of time for the noise!
smile_phones.gif

I gotta say - it used to be my Mad Dogs that never left my messenger bag when I got em - I prefer open-back orthodynamic cans whenever possible  - but now it's the Alpha Dogs
that come everywhere with me.

And - I tried to find the post but must've overlooked it:

Somebody was wondering if an owner of both the AD's and MD's would consider stepping back down to the MD's - because he thought the MD's might be better for the style of music he prefers...

I love the Alpha Dogs because thus far, they've done extremely well with everything I've thrown at them - from Coltrane to Burial!
That's also one of the reasons I gave em a Writers Choice Award (just scroll down to my awards to see my bit on the Alpha's)

I loved/love the Mad Dogs for the same reason - but to me there is a wonderful airy-like quality to the Alpha Dogs,
much like the Mad Dogs - except things seem better controlled overall WITHOUT sounding too polite, too safe,
too audiophily! The bass response is dynamic and punchy like the MD's - but seems more refined to me - possible because
of the increased rigidity in the new 3D-printed earcups (who knows). The highs are clearly defined, and trail off naturally.

NOT that the Mad Dogs ever sounded Audiophily to me (which most of the time means safe, polite, and unexcitable)
but the Alpha's take everything to another level to my ears - especially their mid-band coherency and fluidity.
If I heard em both now - I'd probably go for the Alpha Dogs - but that's a touch choice to make!!

First-world problems I guess.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #4,620 of 9,071
I am finding that the better the equipment, the more of a difference one finds between the Mad Dog and the Alpha Dog.

I'm continuing to find the Schiit Vali amp and the Mad Dog to be an excellent pairing that I use most nights...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back