MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Apr 2, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #6,362 of 9,071
Dan do you have a rough eta on the gloss black photos?
I am thinking of switching to the red because the matte black only just won out over that for me, If I do decide to switch do I just contact you on the MrSpeakers website?

Cheers,

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #6,363 of 9,071

Just a guess: you had set EQ on the old OS/player and the new OS is at neutral?

No, I haven't touched EQ at all ever since I purchased my first STX over two years ago.
I did actually find out what the problem was though (I think anyway).  I was wrong about them having the same drivers.  They did have the same drivers for the longest time, and I forgot that I actually updated my Windows 8 system to the latest drivers that support Windows 8.  The problem is that those drivers don't actually seem to function as good as the previous (Win 7 compat mode) drivers, so I simply reverted back to the older drivers and it actually sounds a lot better on my newer system now.

Using the Unified driver too btw, not those supported by Asus.

If you are just plugging them into a computer, that explains a lot. You need a decent headphone amp with POWER. At least a Schiit Asgard 2, or better the Lyr that was made to make sure Orthos  have enough power. These ain't no ear buds.

You guys realize that the STX has a headphone amp right?  Most around here also think it's pretty damn good.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #6,364 of 9,071
Apr 2, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #6,365 of 9,071
I want the original red if I ever get contacted to upgrade my Mad Dogs.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #6,366 of 9,071
By the way, Sanctuary, I use an ALO Island for my puter tunes. Its a decent DAC and headphone amp. It sounded crappy with my AKG K702s which are hard to drive, and my Mad Dogs sounded nice, but no where as dynamic as they do on the Lyre, On the other hand, my Senn HD 600s and HD 25 Al were great. different strokes, but amp power is the name of the game. Check the power output of the STX and compare it to a Shiit Asgard 2. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #6,367 of 9,071

You guys realize that the STX has a headphone amp right?  Most around here also think it's pretty damn good.

Never heard a sound card I liked.  I heard the STX once on a friends PC.  He was very proud of it because he knows I'm into headphones.  I was quite surprised he bought a sound card because he is a mother board and video card guy and couldn't tell the difference from a ibud knock off and a Ety.

The STX uses a  TI TPA6120A2 which is rated at 600 ohms so it may not be the best thing for a planar which is closer to a speaker.  I think any DAC/Amp combo, desktop or portable would drive the AD better than the STX.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #6,368 of 9,071
  Dan do you have a rough eta on the gloss black photos?
I am thinking of switching to the red because the matte black only just won out over that for me, If I do decide to switch do I just contact you on the MrSpeakers website?

Cheers,

ASAP.  

Black was #2 for votes, people have always been asking for "black."  Blue was mostly #2 until someone appears to have stuffed the box for BRG.  :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #6,369 of 9,071

ASAP.  

Black was #2 for votes, people have always been asking for "black."  Blue was mostly #2 until someone appears to have stuffed the box for BRG.  :)

So if we wish to stick with the black once we have seen it we just don't say anything? and if we do we email you?

Looking forward too seeing the black
beyersmile.png

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #6,370 of 9,071
I know color is important to some, but to be honest the pictures of the Red do not do it justice, the headphone is just incredible to behold. Once you put it on your head and that beautiful sound starts to surround you, the headphone disappears and all that is left is this incredible music that will make hours disappear!!! Do not pass up this HP just because of color, you will be doing yourself an injustice!!!!

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #6,371 of 9,071
  I know color is important to some, but to be honest the pictures of the Red do not do it justice, the headphone is just incredible to behold. Once you put it on your head and that beautiful sound starts to surround you, the headphone disappears and all that is left is this incredible music that will make hours disappear!!! Do not pass up this HP just because of color, you will be doing yourself an injustice!!!!

I do not think anybody is going to pass it up because of the color. Everybody is just arguing what color is the best.

Red is not my favorite color, but the paint job on these really stand out and they look excellent. However I much rather have red than black, and blue would be King imo. Black is too bland, especially matte black.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #6,372 of 9,071
Yeah I think I am going to switch my order to the red now, Looks so sexy.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #6,373 of 9,071
Is the red dark in person? As I much prefer the look of it in photos where it is like a rich dark red wine colour
beyersmile.png

such as in the pictures linked in this thread with it next to the TH900.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #6,374 of 9,071
Its a darker red that is for sure. Definitely not garish or bright by any stretch. They look striking and classy in person. They look and feel like a very high end product - especially the beautiful and very soft pads.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #6,375 of 9,071
  Is the red dark in person? As I much prefer the look of it in photos where it is like a rich dark red wine colour
beyersmile.png

such as in the pictures linked in this thread with it next to the TH900.

I would describe it as a deep red, perhaps burgundy, so a darker red wine is not far off the mark, but glossier, perhaps a deep red wine sauce with butter melted in to finish? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back