MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 16, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #4,502 of 9,071
Yes. You can search Q Silk cable which is just reviewed by WNBC last week, the other after market cable brand you can check is Moon-Audio or http://btg-audio.com but to tell you one thing the prices are not cheap.

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #4,503 of 9,071
Review unit's not the only thing with a screw loose (rimshot).

Am I the only one who thinks that screw-gate is a cover for a running change in the tuning of production units that is a result of the tepid reaction to units delivered in the first 6 weeks?

Sorry, I doubt anyone is a conspiracy theorist to that level. :rolleyes:

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #4,504 of 9,071

Including THD, right. Are you trying to undermine your own criticism? 
tongue.gif

Haha, I was playing off the "counter argument" when people say, "Yeah, but I don't listen to measurements. I listen to MUSIC." 
rolleyes.gif

I don't sit there and listen to the harmonic distortion products of a 1KHz sine wave, but that test, while basic and not music itself, does say a lot about the harmonic distortion that will be reproduced during music.

My whole point was that the T50RP driver is inexpensive, small, and just has more limitations than more expensive, more technically competent drivers that you're more likely to see in good headphones costing $1K+. But I was quick to point out that price does not always equal quality and that some of these technical differences, while they do exist, might not even be appreciable or noticeable by most humans.

Pricing in this industry rarely makes sense to begin with, so much of this is just a moot point to begin with!

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #4,505 of 9,071

My whole point was that the T50RP driver is inexpensive, small, and just has more limitations than more expensive, more technically competent drivers that you're more likely to see in good headphones costing $1K+. 

I would be curious to know how much (if made at the same volume) some of these more expensive drivers would cost to manufacture. Sub component cost is not always the driving force for how good something is. The DAC chips in most high end DAC's cost $5. Your money and the sound quality are representative of everything used around them.

reminds me of the old story of the space pen that the US spent millions developing. A pen that writes in zero gravity but does not leak is not a simple thing to create. Lots of dollars and man hours later we had the pen. The Russian solution? Use a pencil. problem solved, cost 10 cents.

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #4,506 of 9,071

Am I the only one who thinks that screw-gate is a cover for a running change in the tuning of production units that is a result of the tepid reaction to units delivered in the first 6 weeks?

First off, yes. You are.

Second off, can you link me to some posts of those that own the headphones who have given a "tepid reaction"? Most of the reviews I have seen have come from the review unit going around.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #4,507 of 9,071
  Are there any aftermarket cables for the Alpha Dog with portability in mind. Cables with reduced weight, size, thickness and terminate in a 3.5mm jack.

Yes. You can search Q Silk cable which is just reviewed by WNBC last week, the other after market cable brand you can check is Moon-Audio or http://btg-audio.com but to tell you one thing the prices are not cheap.

Double Helix Cables is also fantastic.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #4,508 of 9,071

Sigh...

This was exactly what I feared with the Alpha Dogs. Obscure connector, garden hose cabling and the only options being expensive cabling from others. Perhaps I'd call myself a conspiracy theorist but it's almost as if this was a gesture from MrSpeakers to DIY cable makers and frankly a gesture I don't appreciate for portable use on a $600 headphone. I'll guess I'll have to see if I can make my own cable.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #4,509 of 9,071
I guess mine is considered one of these first 6 week production "screw-gate" versions 
wink.gif
.  If there are improvements in newer Alpha Dog versions I'd have to declare Dan MrSpeakers a magician because I can't imagine him squeezing more performance out of this T50RP driver via cup design.  Surely processes and protocols improve over time whether it is manufacturing, science, etc.  The Alpha Dog continues to grow on me and I already love it.  I don't think it was love at first listen but I am of the opinion that it does take a while for one's brain to adjust to certain headphones, especially if one is coming directly from a U- or V-shaped headphone.      

Quote:

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,510 of 9,071
I'm definitely not speaking for Dan here, but I think the current cable is made with the idea that the Alpha Dog will be used in homes and studios rather than for portable use.  A portable style cable while desirable for some is probably an expensive option for relatively small batch production.  How many shorter and lighter portable cables will be preferred over longer and heavier cable?  I'll pick heavy and long over short for home use.  As for the connector, it is easy to attach and detach.  Can be purchased for less than $20 and a hassle if you have to import them outside of the US.  But, no conspiracy.  An industry standard would be nice but not going to happen.

Quote:

Sigh...

This was exactly what I feared with the Alpha Dogs. Obscure connector, garden hose cabling and the only options being expensive cabling from others. Perhaps I'd call myself a conspiracy theorist but it's almost as if this was a gesture from MrSpeakers to DIY cable makers and frankly a gesture I don't appreciate for portable use on a $600 headphone. I'll guess I'll have to see if I can make my own cable.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #4,511 of 9,071
Hi...  We've had a lot of request for a 3.5mm cable. 

One consideration we have is to use the current cable, with a 3' tail and an 18" Y split.  The cable would be the same but shorter.  Doing a lighter and thinner cable is possible.  Either way we'd sell this is an optional add-on.

Using a thinner cable will take more time.  For those who have the phones would you consider the current cable a good solution?  Your feedback will help our design best meet your needs.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #4,512 of 9,071
Quote:
I'm definitely not speaking for Dan here, but I think the current cable is made with the idea that the Alpha Dog will be used in homes and studios rather than for portable use.  A portable style cable while desirable for some is probably an expensive option for relatively small batch production.  How many shorter and lighter portable cables will be preferred over longer and heavier cable?  I'll pick heavy and long over short for home use.  As for the connector, it is easy to attach and detach.  Can be purchased for less than $20 and a hassle if you have to import them outside of the US.  But, no conspiracy.  An industry standard would be nice but not going to happen.

For home sound there are many better headphones out there. It's the closed, portable space that is severely lacking good, neutral headphones with decent/large soundstages. I'm sure that for many this is why they were excited about the Alpha Dogs to begin with.
Even for home use I don't use heavy cables because unless I can hear EMI and microphonics it's not going to be an improvement.

Now I have to consider importing an adaptor and building a cable simply so I have something shorter and more lightweight for portable usage.

Quote:
Hi...  We've had a lot of request for a 3.5mm cable. 

One consideration we have is to use the current cable, with a 3' tail and an 18" Y split.  The cable would be the same but shorter.  Doing a lighter and thinner cable is possible.  Either way we'd sell this is an optional add-on.

Using a thinner cable will take more time.  For those who have the phones would you consider the current cable a good solution?  Your feedback will help our design best meet your needs.

A lighter, thinner cable is exactly what is needed because the main usage of such a cable would be for portable usage.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #4,513 of 9,071
It would be nice if Dan made some small connectors that went from his connector to a 3.5mm jack for portable use.

however considering he gives the part number and pin-out on his website, I doubt it's a conspiracy for the after market cable industry.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #4,514 of 9,071

For home sound there are many better headphones out there. It's the closed, portable space that is severely lacking good, neutral headphones with decent/large soundstages.

Thank you for speaking for every use case.

I work from home, and I have three pairs of headphones (I will when the AD's arrive).

M50's - portable use
Sony A900's - For all day home use when I am alone
Alpha Dogs - For when my wife is either in the same room, or when she is watching TV on the other room, and I want the isolation at home.

Tell me, for the third option, what's the better choice?

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #4,515 of 9,071

Thank you for speaking for every use case.

I work from home, and I have three pairs of headphones (I will when the AD's arrive).

M50's - portable use
Sony A900's - For all day home use when I am alone
Alpha Dogs - For when my wife is either in the same room, or when she is watching TV on the other room, and I want the isolation at home.

Tell me, for the third option, what's the better choice?

I don't speak for every use case. I'm speaking for a use case that has been ignored. I can't believe you'd release a $600 closed headphone with better imaging and soundstage, in a market that has a severe lack of such headphones, and not realise that perhaps some people may want to use it portably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back