MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #2,266 of 9,071
He stated "slightly", which is a lot more believable than "OMG I WUD THINC ITS N OHPEN HEDPHONZ IF I DIDNT NOE N E BETTR"

I assume the perception of more openness is going to be more due to the tonality change, than some magical soundstage difference. Kind of like the K702 sounding more open than it's warmer/smoother Anniversary sibling, though realistically, it's about the same size, just that the Anniversary has thicker notes, which give the user a lesser sense of space in between the notes.

The warmer the headphone, the less spacious it will sound compared to a comparable headphone that is brighter/more neutral. At least my past experiences have shown me this. There are exceptions (Sony MA-900 being warm and incredibly spacious), but that's quite rare.

Not saying the AD might not have a significant difference from the MD in soundstage, but I'm going in with realistic expectations, staying away from the hyperbole.

^
cool.gif
That is a good way to put it.

When I said raises an eyebrow it wasn't in question of his assessment but more so of a surprise at his results in comparison to what others say. There have been some people that openly say that the AD to them wasn't way better than the MD. But this headphone thing is sooo opinionated that you almost have to hear them for yourself.  

One thing that keeps popping up is that they are not super detailed. 

One cliche statement you have to watch out for is "headphone x is better than headphone z in every area" thats an automatic clue of bias.

I have read your impressions on things and MattTCG's. Not to gas your heads up but I am eagerly waiting for your impressions.

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #2,269 of 9,071
  #AlphaDogHeadphones unboxing is now live on YouTube.

Nice unboxing HiFiGuy528! If you don't mind, could you post a picture of the Alpha Dogs on your head to see how the cups stick out [or lack of]?

Maybe a suggestion for future batches, but perhaps a rubber sticker foot can be added to the bottom of the "triangle" of the stand such that the two sides don't clank against each other every time its moved.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #2,271 of 9,071

#AlphaDogHeadphones unboxing is now live on YouTube.

Nice unboxing HiFiGuy528! If you don't mind, could you post a picture of the Alpha Dogs on your head to see how the cups stick out [or lack of]?

Maybe a suggestion for future batches, but perhaps a rubber sticker foot can be added to the bottom of the "triangle" of the stand such that the two sides don't clank against each other every time its moved.

Dan said that the stands were as they are, in order to fit the USPS box, and that one should add soft material as needed (such as on top to raise the headphones higher).

Also, can we please stop the baseless speculation about sound aspects, especially from those who are shortly going to receive the headphones ?   It's pointless, and adds to the possibility of mental bias.

There has been weeks for speculation.  Now there should only be actual sound reports.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #2,272 of 9,071
  How long is the 1/4 inch SE cable? I want to use these on the go with my ibasso portable dac/amp but the old MD vmoda cable was too long for comfortable train use. 

I have never come across a full sized headphone cable that is as short as the old MD vmoda cable.   The HiFiMan 1/4 inch SE cable is probably twice as long.  The Mad Dog Universal SE cable is shorter than that, and seems a very practical length.   Since all the above are cables for full sized headphones, then one would not expect them to be the right length for portable use...

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #2,273 of 9,071
I really hate that eye burningly ugly headband. It needs to go. Totally ruins the high end quality and aesthetic that the sexy cups do so much to achieve. Surely with access to 3D printing a more elegant solution would be possible?

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #2,275 of 9,071
Err, irrelevant cliché gonna irrelevant? 
confused.gif

It doesn't look out of place on the mad dog because the cups are ugly on that, too. That's an all round ugly headphone. It's different with the Alpha. You've got sexy pads, glorious cups and an eww stock plastic monstrosity headband.

It's like putting Bargain Basement furniture in a $12m mansion, or an obese unkempt neckbeard in a $3000 suit. You just don't do it.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #2,276 of 9,071
Hence, why I said that some sort of leather or cloth wrap to hide the Fostex headband should be feasible, and give the AD a more premium look.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2,277 of 9,071
  I really hate that eye burningly ugly headband. It needs to go. Totally ruins the high end quality and aesthetic that the sexy cups do so much to achieve. Surely with access to 3D printing a more elegant solution would be possible?

Seriously...  

Try owning a Mad Dog or the Alpha Dog before posting your hatred on 'em.  I own the Mad Dogs and they look stylish to me, if you're after styling.  
rolleyes.gif

BTW the headband on these Fostex are by far ONE of the most sturdiest yet most well built headbands in headphones.  Not to mention, very comfortable as well.  

"Won't know how a game is being played just by watching, get in and play the game."  
wink_face.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #2,278 of 9,071
Seriously...  

Try owning a Mad Dog or the Alpha Dog before posting your hatred on 'em.  I own the Mad Dogs and they look stylish to me, if you're after styling.  :rolleyes:   

BTW the headband on these Fostex are by far ONE of the most sturdiest yet most well built headbands in headphones.  Not to mention, very comfortable as well.  

"Won't know how a game is being played just by watching, get in and play the game."  :wink_face:  

This doesn't make sense. He doesn't have to own them to decide if he likes how they look, that's ridiculous.

His opinion isn't any less valid than yours.

Btw, thanks for the unboxing video. Looked like the foam won :-D

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2,279 of 9,071
Am I the only one who actually likes the headband? I do not know why but I like it. I admit its not the most polished thing in the world compared to the rest of the headphones. I also like it because most other people in other areas of audio know of Fostex, but do not know of Mr.Speakers (no offense Dan). Its easy to bring up they are a super heavily modified fostex headphone, and explain further. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #2,280 of 9,071
This doesn't make sense. He doesn't have to own them to decide if he likes how they look, that's ridiculous.

His opinion isn't any less valid than yours.

Btw, thanks for the unboxing video. Looked like the foam won :-D

You're right...  No one needs to own anything before liking.  Might as well pick up a book with a colorful cover and expect it to be good...  
confused.gif

Question mark on the unboxing video and the foam won part???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back