MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
May 31, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #2,311 of 2,583
I bought an AFO which should be on it’s way sometime next week.
Reading through this thread has been funny...in that people seem to have so different opinions of it.
I tend to favour the lesser known stuff - cans, music, specific fruits that for some reason fly under the radar because X person said something about something that at the time made sense..to another guy that just went with it and woe and behold if the opinion didn’t seem to spread like a wildfire.
That’s basically how the K701 got a rep as a hard to drive can (specs: 61 ohm 105 dB) and how the hd800 suddenly became a neutral headphone. I’m wondering just how much of this thread is hear-say and parrot-talk opposed to people who’ve listened to music through the AFO.

May 31, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #2,314 of 2,583
I for one can’t wait to make up my own mind. It looks so comfy...yet also like a cushion adorned take on some weird Star Wars fighter plane.
Who knew Dan was into sci-fi?
Personally I’d like to see further exploration into this line of thinking. Like a future flagship with Chewbacca-like fur on the cups. I can already see hipsters wearing these down at the local coffeeshop together with a pair of bowling shoes, green leather tie and a great big Russian bear hunter beard.

May 31, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #2,315 of 2,583
I’m wondering just how much of this thread is hear-say and parrot-talk opposed to people who’ve listened to music through the AFO.
I guess this is somewhat of a valid point, though I honestly don't think most here are guilty of trashing or praising without listening.
That being said you have a large variety of different preferences, listening environments and 'chains' here, which probably affect impressions. Skepticism is a good thing IMO either way.
I look forward to hearing how you like them!

May 31, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2,316 of 2,583
I was originally leaning toward getting a LCD2C but I think the Aeon Flow Open is going to be a better fit. I've read about every opinion on the internet in regards to the AFO in the last 24 hrs. As is normal when it comes to audio, the opinions are varied. With the AFO there's a lot of points that I feel will line up perfectly for what I'm looking for in an upgrade. I have a great local shop where I can spend time with the AFO before buying, or simply return if they aren't to my liking. I have a strong suspicion that these are going to be very satisfying though.

I'll probably purchase within the next two months and definitely have some impressions once in my possession.

May 31, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #2,317 of 2,583
I was originally leaning toward getting a LCD2C but I think the Aeon Flow Open is going to be a better fit. I've read about every opinion on the internet in regards to the AFO in the last 24 hrs. As is normal when it comes to audio, the opinions are varied. With the AFO there's a lot of points that I feel will line up perfectly for what I'm looking for in an upgrade. I have a great local shop where I can spend time with the AFO before buying, or simply return if they aren't to my liking. I have a strong suspicion that these are going to be very satisfying though.

I'll probably purchase within the next two months and definitely have some impressions once in my possession.

Recommend giving the AFCs a listen too if you haven’t already. They are more detailed and have a better soundstage than the AFO, though the sound profile is quite different. Depending on what I’m listening to, sometimes I prefer the AFO, sometimes I prefer the AFC.

May 31, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #2,318 of 2,583
Recommend giving the AFCs a listen too if you haven’t already. They are more detailed and have a better soundstage than the AFO, though the sound profile is quite different. Depending on what I’m listening to, sometimes I prefer the AFO, sometimes I prefer the AFC.

I will give both a look, it's likely I'll prefer the open though based on the hundred plus opinions I've read.

I actually kind of appreciate that the open is sort of "semi open". I don't often get to listen in perfectly dark environments so a little reduction in the sound leaking and entering is a benefit. The open having a small soundstage advantage and more of a warm tilt over the closed is a big positive for me because I like a warm signature.

Small personal gripe - the "carbon fiber" cups on the closed look find of funny to me, even a little cheap. The Aeon stamp and grills on the open look far better.

May 31, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #2,319 of 2,583
AFO is indeed polarizing. On a first hour of listening I changed my mind about it multiple times. :) It's definately not an headphone one can just audition quickly and make up ones mind based just on a few test tracks.

I was originally leaning toward getting a LCD2C but I think the Aeon Flow Open is going to be a better fit.

Just to chip in..I had both AFC and AFO earlier this year. The build of both AFO/AFC is great and you get a nice carry case - it's a satisfying purchase either way. Both need substantial burn-in (week) so early judgements, or running them through a cheap amp will really not do them justice (as @Roderick is suggesting) - both shined with better amps. Even the amp pairing matters: the Gilmore Lite sounded great with AFC, but not with AFO - too dark. I actually liked the AFC for the same reason as @will f above, and I found it to have a very cohesive sound, great separation yet not analytical. While it had a touch 'cup'-sound of a closed headphone, I really like it's precise placed soundstage. In fact, it was bit of an eye opener how 'open' a closed headphone could sound.

In the end though, I found that I just don't spend much of my listening to detail that way (AFC). The AFO is more towards my type of everyday listening (slight darker too) .. but to me, it's too polite sounding, so strangely enough I find the AFC 'better' - yet have less use for it / too niche.

Reason that my AFO went up for sale, was that what the AFO does more of, other headphones do better - including the LCD2C.. which is my overall fav (still waiting on a deal on LCD-Xs). It has a visceral bass without bloom, it has the impact, dynamics, voices and instruments are tangible, real / live, it doesn't have smoothed highs as so many higher-end gear seems to chase after: when you're just next to someone playing a piano, violin, acoustic guitar, brass .. they're just not 'polite sounding'.

If I do want easy, smooth, listening, I tend to fall back to the HEXv2.. it's does 60s harmonising vocals just so well, it's cohesive, laid back, decent bass/extension and it's super comfy... whereas the AFO gave me a 'hot spot' on my head. I'm currently trying the Focal Clears, very good - but I'm afraid it will end up in the same 'AFC niche'.

Anyway finding a good headphone is a bit like a relation, you really to be living with them for quite a while to get to know them and experience others for contrast :) Reviews are usually a terrible guide unless your tastes align perfectly with a particular reviewer and they've got access to a couple of amps..

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #2,320 of 2,583
Just to chip in..I had both AFC and AFO earlier this year. The build of both AFO/AFC is great and you get a nice carry case - it's a satisfying purchase either way. Both need substantial burn-in (week) so early judgements, or running them through a cheap amp will really not do them justice (as @Roderick is suggesting) - both shined with better amps. Even the amp pairing matters: the Gilmore Lite sounded great with AFC, but not with AFO - too dark. I actually liked the AFC for the same reason as @will f above, and I found it to have a very cohesive sound, great separation yet not analytical. While it had a touch 'cup'-sound of a closed headphone, I really like it's precise placed soundstage. In fact, it was bit of an eye opener how 'open' a closed headphone could sound.

In the end though, I found that I just don't spend much of my listening to detail that way (AFC). The AFO is more towards my type of everyday listening (slight darker too) .. but to me, it's too polite sounding, so strangely enough I find the AFC 'better' - yet have less use for it / too niche.

Reason that my AFO went up for sale, was that what the AFO does more of, other headphones do better - including the LCD2C.. which is my overall fav (still waiting on a deal on LCD-Xs). It has a visceral bass without bloom, it has the impact, dynamics, voices and instruments are tangible, real / live, it doesn't have smoothed highs as so many higher-end gear seems to chase after: when you're just next to someone playing a piano, violin, acoustic guitar, brass .. they're just not 'polite sounding'.

If I do want easy, smooth, listening, I tend to fall back to the HEXv2.. it's does 60s harmonising vocals just so well, it's cohesive, laid back, decent bass/extension and it's super comfy... whereas the AFO gave me a 'hot spot' on my head. I'm currently trying the Focal Clears, very good - but I'm afraid it will end up in the same 'AFC niche'.

Anyway finding a good headphone is a bit like a relation, you really to be living with them for quite a while to get to know them and experience others for contrast :) Reviews are usually a terrible guide unless your tastes align perfectly with a particular reviewer and they've got access to a couple of amps..

Reviews can be a terrible guide if you don't do the research and take the time to really dig in. There are tons and tons of videos and opinions on most headphones and almost nothing gets universal praise. You can get a fairly decent idea of what something is going to sound like when you look at a wide variety of views and opinions.

Still, the best thing you can do is audition a headphone, or find a dealer that will allow you to return something if you aren't pleased.

I'm looking at purchasing an AFO sometime in the near future, I hope it plays nice with an Asgard 2. I'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #2,321 of 2,583
@Mani ATH 87, you must be good at discrimination reviews :) Regarding the pairing there's apparently quite a few good AFO matches in Schiit's stack.. from memory Vali2 and Lyr3 - and I don't remember seeing 1 negative about those 2 pairings.

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #2,322 of 2,583
@Mani ATH 87, you must be good at discrimination reviews :) Regarding the pairing there's apparently quite a few good AFO matches in Schiit's stack.. from memory Vali2 and Lyr3 - and I don't remember seeing 1 negative about those 2 pairings.

Haha, you can usually find some commonality when you look at a lot of opinions and reviews. Chances are if a lot of opinions are in agreement then it's probably an accurate assessment.

Still best to audition though :)

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #2,323 of 2,583

I can definitely see where you’re coming from. I’ve thought a couple of times of getting a pair of LCD2Cs because of how just plain glorious the lower end is.

If the AFC isn’t your cup of tea I’m not surprised the Clear isn’t either. Have you listened to the Elear / Elex? I’ve got a pair with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads that deliver a lot of what makes the LCD2C great while also delivering excellent soundstage and good detail. The detail isn’t in the same league as the AFC (which can be a detail microscope), but it’s much more dynamic and it achieves a high degree of realism.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #2,324 of 2,583
Anyone have any expertise with the AFC and tube amps? My elekit tu8200 amp delivers 8W @ 32Ω so I'm not worried about power, but it does have an output impedance of 90Ω. This hasn't caused any perceptible problems with my fostex t50rp mods however. They do share the same sensitivity of 92dB/mW, but where the t50's have 50Ω impedance, the AFC only has 13Ω. My knowledge of planar distortion is poor, from what reading I've done it seems planars usually tend to have pretty flat distortion over their whole frequency range, so even when fed less than clean power it generally won't have an effect huge on the sound of the headphone. But I do wonder if the floor noise would be higher? The t50's don't seem to have any perceptible floor noise, but would the afc's lower impedance mean that I might get an earful of tube hiss?

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #2,325 of 2,583
Anyone have any expertise with the AFC and tube amps? My elekit tu8200 amp delivers 8W @ 32Ω so I'm not worried about power, but it does have an output impedance of 90Ω. This hasn't caused any perceptible problems with my fostex t50rp mods however. They do share the same sensitivity of 92dB/mW, but where the t50's have 50Ω impedance, the AFC only has 13Ω. My knowledge of planar distortion is poor, from what reading I've done it seems planars usually tend to have pretty flat distortion over their whole frequency range, so even when fed less than clean power it generally won't have an effect huge on the sound of the headphone. But I do wonder if the floor noise would be higher? The t50's don't seem to have any perceptible floor noise, but would the afc's lower impedance mean that I might get an earful of tube hiss?
Ok, so you piqued my curiosity and I've gone and hooked-up my AFO's to my Bottlehead Crack + Speedball. I *think* the 5998 power tube lowers the output-Z slightly (usually 120 ohms), but think it's still somewhere around the 100 ohm mark.

You know what? It actually sounds pretty bloody good. The volume-pot is around the 9:30 mark on the clock, and playing some bass-heavy music ("Show You the Way" by Thundercat), the frequency response doesn't sound at all loopy, or loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back