MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #2,101 of 2,583
In this way you can't obtain the "line level mode", right?

Also, in this way you won't ruin the battery soon?

Huh? Line level mode is a specific volume level (both balls purple). That's all.

Faffing around plugging it and unplugging it is not something I am prepared to do. Plus, the manufacturer claims it has clever charging circuits which should prevent battery wear-out, but I had two Mojos go bad on me. One would shut off after 30s of use and the other couldn't be portable any more. This over 3 year period. I'm on my 3rd now. Thankfully I found replacement batteries for RC toys which are near enough the right spec (slightly less mAh) so I just fixed them myself (still got a refund off Amazon and got to keep it though haha).

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #2,102 of 2,583
About the line level mode ok the volume is the only thing that matters (two purple balls) but you cannot have the "micro" changing in volume that you have in the real "line level mode". Not a big deal btw, I know.

I cannot live with the Mojo Always connected because in the last 5 minutes of charge I have a "whistle/whining" sound very disturbing, and when it received on wall current when it's fully charged, I have that whistle too.

Dec 23, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #2,103 of 2,583
About the line level mode ok the volume is the only thing that matters (two purple balls) but you cannot have the "micro" changing in volume that you have in the real "line level mode". Not a big deal btw, I know.

I cannot live with the Mojo Always connected because in the last 5 minutes of charge I have a "whistle/whining" sound very disturbing, and when it received on wall current when it's fully charged, I have that whistle too.

Can you explain the micro changing in volume? I never heard of this O.o

Ah yes you are right about the whinning. But that's only the Mojo whining physically în proximity to it, I don't hear it in the headphones. Do you hear it in the headphones?? Maybe your Mojo is faulty then!

Dec 24, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #2,104 of 2,583
Sure, the micro changing means that in "line level mode" if you press the balls the volume increase or decrease are more precise. Many press 4 times the low volume ball to obtain the right voltage that should be perfect for more amps while the double purple (default), for many, are too much power for their amps inputs.

I don't hear the whining during the headphone listenings, when I say "desktop use" I mean that I couple the mojo with my main speakers rig so if the music isn't loud I hear the whine very clear, and isn't a beauty listening.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #2,105 of 2,583
Sure, the micro changing means that in "line level mode" if you press the balls the volume increase or decrease are more precise. Many press 4 times the low volume ball to obtain the right voltage that should be perfect for more amps while the double purple (default), for many, are too much power for their amps inputs.

I don't hear the whining during the headphone listenings, when I say "desktop use" I mean that I couple the mojo with my main speakers rig so if the music isn't loud I hear the whine very clear, and isn't a beauty listening.

This sounds like a source problem not the Mojo. On my PC I have a dedicated DAC-UP USB slot which is clean of interference. Many gaming Gigabyte motherboards have this.

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #2,107 of 2,583
hi,

has the AFO a wider soundstage then the hd650?

It's more different than anything. I have AFO, NH and HD6xx. To me they all have the same soundstage. It's just vocals and instruments are placed differently. AFO have vocals right up front but not in your face. The vocals wrap you. NH and HD6xx are a lot further away. Sort of half way back in a hall.
I like AFO soundstage the best. It is more natural. The others sound congested or over processed. after hearing AFO.
For the record I didn't like HD6xx. Nothing against it I just have to leave it in my comments. So you know that I do have a bias.

Dec 25, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #2,108 of 2,583
HD650 is darker which can give the impression of confined soundstage I guess, but compared to the AFO they are a fair bit more open. I have to disagree wholeheartedly with @Badas when he says AFO sound more natural. To me, the soundstage is so small and up front due to them being semi-open that it feels like people are singing to me in a studio of living room size. I remember the HD650 sounding like you're in an small auditorium. Been a while since I listened to them though.

Dec 25, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #2,109 of 2,583
HD650 is darker which can give the impression of confined soundstage I guess, but compared to the AFO they are a fair bit more open. I have to disagree wholeheartedly with @Badas when he says AFO sound more natural. To me, the soundstage is so small and up front due to them being semi-open that it feels like people are singing to me in a studio of living room size. I remember the HD650 sounding like you're in an small auditorium. Been a while since I listened to them though.

I actually think there is something wrong with my HD6xx (I'm serious). I never did hear what others have commented about. My soundfield from the HD6xx is very narrow. Sounds bleed together with little separation. It never sounded right.
It might be a good idea for me to throw them out as faulty. What I will do from now on is just not comment.

Dec 26, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #2,111 of 2,583
AEON Open just won an Editor's Choice award from @InnerFidelity

https://bit.ly/2QQpW4l

InnerFidelity-Recommend-Components-Logo99_0.jpg

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 26, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #2,112 of 2,583
Dec 30, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #2,113 of 2,583
Well it's been a year with my AFO's and absolutely no issues their sq is simply great. Wish I could say the same about my Focal Elear's what a nightmare they've been I'm on my third pair and it was sent in for warranty dead driver again maybe the forth will be the winner . Has there been any issues with the AFO's ? I've not read much..enjoy all

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #2,114 of 2,583
Well it's been a year with my AFO's and absolutely no issues their sq is simply great. Wish I could say the same about my Focal Elear's what a nightmare they've been I'm on my third pair and it was sent in for warranty dead driver again maybe the forth will be the winner . Has there been any issues with the AFO's ? I've not read much..enjoy all

That’s a bummer regarding the Elear. I’ve got an elex in transit. Probably should have read up on driver issues first. Anyway, no problems at all with my AFC or AFO.

I read of one guy that had a set get fried when his amp died, but that’s all I’ve heard about

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #2,115 of 2,583
I had to return my first AFO because it had driver imbalance: the right side played louder than the left. The replacement I got has been fine since May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back