MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #2,131 of 2,583
Just received a pair of AFO's from another Head-fier :). Im sitting here with my hd600 a bit disappointed honestly. The tonality is amazing, instruments sound very life like, especially drums/cymbals despite the dip after the mids to avoid sibilance, but there just isn't any sense of space when compared to the hd600, even with the CTH. I would've assumed the sense of space in a recording would've been retained but somehow the air I'm used to hearing is also missing. I find the hd600 more comfortable too since the clamp has molded to the shape of my head, the AFO will definitely get hot and and uncomfortable here in Miami.

I'm conflicted, but I'll probably just resell em soon and get an hd800s or the he1xxx when it comes back.

I can praise them for their realism and impact, but even at $550 I can't justify keeping them over the hd600. My first run in with diminishing returns after falling in love with the hd600, they do have me craving planar bass again though.

I had happened upon the largest store headphone listening area I had ever seen recently in Torrance, California, and had listened to seven different headphones within two hours this week. The AFO was the warmest one, definitely something I would use with cold, clinical gear, and definitely not a tube amp, if at all. The Sennheiser HD660s was surprisingly good for the price (I had a "do people really need to spend over $1000 to get a good set of headphones?" moment). Both ones mentioned I found had an average sound stage: some were better, some were worse. The Audeze LCD-2 open with the fazor mod had detailed, low distortion bass. I'm going to compare them against the Quad ERA-1 next, bringing my own music in. The Focal Clear was the best one I had listened to that day, and it should be, for the price.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #2,132 of 2,583
I had happened upon the largest store headphone listening area I had ever seen recently in Torrance, California, and had listened to seven different headphones within two hours this week. The AFO was the warmest one, definitely something I would use with cold, clinical gear, and definitely not a tube amp, if at all. The Sennheiser HD660s was surprisingly good for the price (I had a "do people really need to spend over $1000 to get a good set of headphones?" moment). Both ones mentioned I found had an average sound stage: some were better, some were worse. The Audeze LCD-2 open with the fazor mod had detailed, low distortion bass. I'm going to compare them against the Quad ERA-1 next, bringing my own music in. The Focal Clear was the best one I had listened to that day, and it should be, for the price.

I'm definitely having the same moment, but I'm hoping it won't take as many tries as mid-fi adventures to pin down TOTL pair for me. Please detail your experience with the Quad ERA-1, I just learned about that headphone recently and as an offering below 1k my interest is peaked. The CTH is supposedly suggested with the AFO, to be fair the stock tube is not much 'warmer' than my magni 3 but rather the sound is ever so slightly less direct if anything. The hd600 series is a killer pairing with the CTH, so much so that I don't think I'll ever try OTL tubes with it.

Considering the Clear is easily found for 600 (and sometimes less) bought second-hand, that could be a compromise for you price wise.

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #2,135 of 2,583
A classic... :sweat_smile:

throwing-money-away.gif

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #2,136 of 2,583

Based on your comments, I’d say you should give the Aeon Flow Closed and Focal Elex a listen too. IMHO the soundstage of both is better than the AFO and the AFC is more neutral in tone than all the others. None of the above are quite as meaty as the LCD2 fazor when it comes to bass but both are more detailed and resolving, and the Elex bass is pretty darn close though with a little roll off at the extreme bottom.

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #2,137 of 2,583
Based on your comments, I’d say you should give the Aeon Flow Closed and Focal Elex a listen too. IMHO the soundstage of both is better than the AFO and the AFC is more neutral in tone than all the others. None of the above are quite as meaty as the LCD2 fazor when it comes to bass but both are more detailed and resolving, and the Elex bass is pretty darn close though with a little roll off at the extreme bottom.

I have Shure SRH1540 closed backs that I like to use for rock music (especially loud songs with prominent drums and electric guitars like Led Zeppelin's Black Dog), which I want to keep for now. Those don't get much attention from anybody, and sound like their frequency response curve looks. That one has its own driver that you won't find with any other headphone Shure makes. These have so much bass, that I eq them down 3 db or more below 100 Hz. I think I we're down to the laws of physics with open vs closed backs: frequencies below a certain level are reproduced better with an enclosure, so now we're down to needing more than one pair, each excelling at a different type of music. The Sennheiser HD700s I just sold gave more detail with strings. They were "polite" in the bass, but not in the treble. I did not see the Elex at the store I was at, but I saw Elegia, which is probably better than any of the three I just mentioned, as it should be for $900.

The AFC may not sound quite so warm as the AFO, but I had passed on listening to that one during my second visit. I ended up getting the Focal Clears (at a price I couldn't resist, like close to half), after listening to the following, with a Chord Qutest DAC and a Gilmore Lite mk2 (the same amp that I use at home):

1. Quad ERA-1: had the Quad signature sound: midrange really good, and a bit warm throughout. Vocals sounded great. It's obvious that they had worked to produce that sound. Sounded balanced and pleasing, though there's others that have more detail in the bass and treble (but at a higher price). They come with two sets of pads which is commendable as each was an engineered solution. I prefer these to the LCD-2 but not the other Audezes.
2. Audeze LCD-2 open with fazor: astonishing clean bass with good heft that I feel may be the best you can get in an open back. I heard a recessed area or "hole" somewhere in the midrange that gave an overall "dark" presentation with everything I had listened to. Frequency response curves only tell part of the story. Inner Fidelity's frequency response curves do show the fazor keeps the frequency response dead flat to 2 kHz instead of 1 kHz, affecting how vocals sound. Very good sound stage (like wide as a stadium) and low distortion, as for all Audeze products tested. Store doesn't have the LCD-2 classic, I would have had to go to Santa Ana to hear that one, and I didn't want to. I would have spent a bit more money and got the LCD-X, but those are insanely large and heavy and come with thicker pads than the others.
3. Mr. Speakers Ether Flow open: it's a toss up between these and the similarly priced Audeze models. I would say its closest peer is the LCD-X. I felt that the Mr. Speakers was a bit more lively in the upper midrange and treble, but still balanced. Incidentally, the salesman says that he owns the HiFiMan HE-1000 and HE-6 personally, and that those don't sound dark at all, giving lots of detail in vocals and treble.
4. Beyerdynamic T1: well made but had "silly" treble, as is visible on its frequency response curve. Might sound ok eq'd.
5. Focal Elear: they have the Focal signature sound described below, but with a touch less detail and a touch of sibilance. They have a spike in distortion at 6000 Hz (see Inner Fidelity curve) that I would be able to hear as "grain", though auditioned material didn't contain much information in that region. On the whole, they are almost as good as the Clear for a lot less money.
6. Audeze LCD-MX4 with fazor: better than the LCD-2, giving a more balanced presentation with a touch less grain in the treble, but not worth the extra money over the LCD-X. These gave the best bass out of any I had heard that day: clean, and good volume, and having "slam". This the only light and small model Audeze makes! My favorite out of all I had tested, but they're not worth the $2999 that they list for.
7. Focal Clear: the Focal signature sound is a more forward upper midrange and treble presentation than most others. In this case, that hadn't extended to being brassy or sibilant though I can think of parts of loud tracks having a lot of cymbal hits (like Whole Lotta Love) that might be tiring to listen to on these headphones. These have an astonishing level of detail in a certain frequency range that I hadn't heard even in other headphones at the same price point (like shimmering cymbals). Reverberation and decay of some instruments was more noticeable than with other headphones. The Audezes all had more prominent bass, and may sound better with rock music for some people. I feel that the Tyll Hertsens review for the Clears was bang on, except I heard the treble as more lively than he had reported (don't know if it's age related hearing loss or not). I was reading it at the store while I was listening to the headphones. The owner of the store says that he gave Tyll a pair of these free of charge because they had to stay with the company when Tyll left.

I had brought my own music this time, and had used only exceptionally mastered and highly varied material like Pink Floyd Dark Side, and had played the same songs on all cans I tested, some of them no more than twenty seconds of each song.

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #2,140 of 2,583
I'm definitely having the same moment, but I'm hoping it won't take as many tries as mid-fi adventures to pin down TOTL pair for me. Please detail your experience with the Quad ERA-1, I just learned about that headphone recently and as an offering below 1k my interest is peaked. The CTH is supposedly suggested with the AFO, to be fair the stock tube is not much 'warmer' than my magni 3 but rather the sound is ever so slightly less direct if anything. The hd600 series is a killer pairing with the CTH, so much so that I don't think I'll ever try OTL tubes with it.

Considering the Clear is easily found for 600 (and sometimes less) bought second-hand, that could be a compromise for you price wise.

I ended up getting the Clear, as I was offered a deal I could not refuse. See my review of them elsewhere in this thread, along with a short one for every other headphone I has listened to that day.

I don't think the Quad ERA-1 was much different from the Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open in terms of overall quality, not surprising as they are priced the same.

The Source Audio Video Design in Torrance, California, says they constantly offer deeply discounted b-stock Audeze products that come from the nearby facility in Santa Ana. The former place definitely has the biggest headphone listening area I've ever seen, and offering the full gamut of DACs and amps, too.

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #2,141 of 2,583
I ended up getting the Clear, as I was offered a deal I could not refuse. See my review of them elsewhere in this thread, along with a short one for every other headphone I has listened to that day.

I don't think the Quad ERA-1 was much different from the Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open in terms of overall quality, not surprising as they are priced the same.

The Source Audio Video Design in Torrance, California, says they constantly offer deeply discounted b-stock Audeze products that come from the nearby facility in Santa Ana. The former place definitely has the biggest headphone listening area I've ever seen, and offering the full gamut of DACs and amps, too.

The Elex sounds similar to the Clear (or so I’ve read) and I’d say you did very well to pick the Clear given the discount you got. Great choice!

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #2,142 of 2,583

But does the Quad ERA-1 have a lot more soundstage?? I really want to know!

Jan 19, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #2,143 of 2,583
But does the Quad ERA-1 have a lot more soundstage?? I really want to know!

No, about the same. The Audezes all had a wider soundstage during my testing. I think you have to spend well over $1000 to get a better soundstage, and even then, only some of them.The Focals don't have a wider soundstage than the Mr. Speakers AFO either, at a higher cost.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,144 of 2,583
No, about the same. The Audezes all had a wider soundstage during my testing. I think you have to spend well over $1000 to get a better soundstage, and even then, only some of them.The Focals don't have a wider soundstage than the Mr. Speakers AFO either, at a higher cost.

I don't know who to believe now. Someone else said that ERA-1 sounds like AFO but with more soundstage... Audeze are horrible headphones. Too heavy and dark and more expensive. They make no sense to me.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #2,145 of 2,583
I think I'm going to try to get my hands on an Elex and then buy a used hd800 to complement. Even if the soundstage of the Elex isn't a step up, the imagining is supposed to be quite good and the soundstage is better than 3 blob a la hd6x0 series. Honestly I'm still curious about the AFC, since it's neutrality is probably more what I would want from the realistic tonality these drivers are capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back