MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #2,146 of 2,583
No, about the same. The Audezes all had a wider soundstage during my testing. I think you have to spend well over $1000 to get a better soundstage, and even then, only some of them.The Focals don't have a wider soundstage than the Mr. Speakers AFO either, at a higher cost.

Can’t say I agree that the Focals have about the same soundstage as the AFO. I spent most of Friday going back and forth between the AFO, AFC and Focal Elex. The AFC and Elex were similar, but for me anyway the AFO had a significantly smaller soundstage that was immediately noticeable.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #2,147 of 2,583
Can’t say I agree that the Focals have about the same soundstage as the AFO. I spent most of Friday going back and forth between the AFO, AFC and Focal Elex. The AFC and Elex were similar, but for me anyway the AFO had a significantly smaller soundstage that was immediately noticeable.

Sorry, are you saying that the AFO had significantly smaller soundstage than the AFC? O_O. What is going on? (I never listened to the AFC, just assumed the AFO would have bigger soundstage as logic would dictate!)

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #2,148 of 2,583
Sorry, are you saying that the AFO had significantly smaller soundstage than the AFC? O_O. What is going on? (I never listened to the AFC, just assumed the AFO would have bigger soundstage as logic would dictate!)

Correct. To my ears the AFO has a smaller soundstage than the AFC. I would have thought otherwise too (the AFO being open and all) but that’s not my experience.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #2,149 of 2,583
I don't know who to believe now. Someone else said that ERA-1 sounds like AFO but with more soundstage... Audeze are horrible headphones. Too heavy and dark and more expensive. They make no sense to me.

I agree with the dark and heavy Audeze observation. The LCD-2 I found to be the darkest one; you have to spend more to get rid of it. I didn't hate the LCD-X, as I loved the texture of its mid bass and might have been able to eq the frequencies that I had found to be dark. I had passed on it because of its size and weight, but not the price.

I agree that the Quad ERA-1 sounds similar to the AFO, except I felt that the AFO had an even warmer signature than the slightly warm Quad. Most of the cans that were over a $1000 had a wider better sound stage than the both of them, and more detail (including the Ether Flow, which is now the old model and the 2 is out). I feel that the Quad offered an average sound stage: better than the Sennheiser 500 and 600 which are $300 less, but not some of the ones that were over a $1000.

I had auditioned the AFO and not the AFC, so I won't be much help about the latter model, though I could go back to The Source and audition them. The much maligned Sennheiser HD 700 I just sold for $285 had an exceptional sound stage, so would the HD 800 (available at a discount because the 800S is out).

The Focals probably all sound lively in the upper mid range and treble, closed back and open. I have EQ'd my midrange down already.

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #2,150 of 2,583
The choice between the AFC and AFO is dependent on personal choice. Both have different nuances. I own both. After speaking with Dan yesterday at the Source event I found out he needed to tune each HP different. You would think a closed HP would have greater bass or a smaller soundstage, but in this case due to the tuning of the HP it is not the case. I agree, AFC is great for classic, vocals and music desiring a wide soundstage where the AFO is better for bass heavy music. If we’re to sell one for me it would be the AFO. Only because of how I use the HP and type of music nothing more.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #2,151 of 2,583
The choice between the AFC and AFO is dependent on personal choice. Both have different nuances. I own both. After speaking with Dan yesterday at the Source event I found out he needed to tune each HP different. You would think a closed HP would have greater bass or a smaller soundstage, but in this case due to the tuning of the HP it is not the case. I agree, AFC is great for classic, vocals and music desiring a wide soundstage where the AFO is better for bass heavy music. If we’re to sell one for me it would be the AFO. Only because of how I use the HP and type of music nothing more.

In that case, shouldn't be too hard for me to open my backs again and close them off with a piece of plastic of the right size/shape.

Serious design flaw not making these modular. Would've been so easy to have either removable backs or a way to Open them or Close them with some removable component.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #2,152 of 2,583
Got my AFO a few days ago and looking for some reassurance.

I have never considered myself a basshead but I am having to add 4-6dB bass boost (via Amarra) to get in to my music. Right now all my good amp/source gear is boxed up so I'm using a Dragonfly Black. The bass deficit I'm hearing goes away with a better amp ... right?

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #2,153 of 2,583

I have never considered myself a basshead but I am having to add 4-6dB bass boost (via Amarra) to get in to my music. Right now all my good amp/source gear is boxed up so I'm using a Dragonfly Black. The bass deficit I'm hearing goes away with a better amp ... right?

That's a pretty underpowered device and will definitely tap out at lower volumes. Also, while AFO is warm, it's all relative. If you came off an M50 it's going to sound bass light, if a Sennheiser 650 it should be bass heavy. We try not to reference other headphones but rather live music, and AFO should be on the warm/rich side relative a good acoustic performance in a good hall. As a last note, if you are wearing glasses or have really thick hair also be sure to check for the quality of your seal. A poor seal will kill deep bass.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 6, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #2,155 of 2,583

i have both the aq dragonfly black and afo. I too also needed to boost the bass by 6-8 db. I find the sound also harsh and remotely unpleasant. Then i tried my dac magic plus headphone outs. Much better but still not enough power. Then i got my jds lab atom , truly an amazing amp for the money. Its plastic but performance wise i'd say it puts the magni to shame, much lower noise floor than the jotunheim too (although much less power). With the atom , the clarity of the bass especially improved alot. I also use about 3db boost now for edm, none needed for classical /jazz.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #2,156 of 2,583
I always say using an inadequate amp on the headphones is like using retread tires on a Ferrari. It'll roll, but I you don't want to hit the corners too hard...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 6, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #2,157 of 2,583
Happy new AFO owner reporting-in! I had the pleasure of trying them out alongside the Voce and Ether 2 at the Source AV in Torrance a couple of weekends ago (and also had the pleasure of meeting the Mr Speakers team too!), and was super-impressed - so much so that I picked-up a pair the next week at Mr Speakers HQ in San Diego. Thanks again to Dan, Andy and Sue for being terrific hosts - you guys are legends.

I can't keep the Aeons off my head, they're just so tonally coherent and inviting, and they're just the right level of "open" for me to use them at work - I can still maintain some situational 'awareness' while enjoying the hell out of them. I must have clocked about 40 hours on them already and just so thrilled with my decision. I'm yet to try all the filters so far, but enjoying them immensely without any so far.

Amp-wise, I'm getting great results with the Mojo+Poly; iFi xDSD + xCAN, and also directly out of my NAD D 3020 receiver at home. I'll be looking to upgrade to a new desktop solid-state soon having just sold the Emotive BasX A100 - it was just too big, the output impedance (220z) was too high for low-Z cans, and there was also an unacceptable noise-floor. I'm looking for a balanced/XLR set-up, so open to suggestions!

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #2,158 of 2,583
Happy new AFO owner reporting-in! I had the pleasure of trying them out alongside the Voce and Ether 2 at the Source AV in Torrance a couple of weekends ago (and also had the pleasure of meeting the Mr Speakers team too!), and was super-impressed - so much so that I picked-up a pair the next week at Mr Speakers HQ in San Diego. Thanks again to Dan, Andy and Sue for being terrific hosts - you guys are legends.

I can't keep the Aeons off my head, they're just so tonally coherent and inviting, and they're just the right level of "open" for me to use them at work - I can still maintain some situational 'awareness' while enjoying the hell out of them. I must have clocked about 40 hours on them already and just so thrilled with my decision. I'm yet to try all the filters so far, but enjoying them immensely without any so far.

Amp-wise, I'm getting great results with the Mojo+Poly; iFi xDSD + xCAN, and also directly out of my NAD D 3020 receiver at home. I'll be looking to upgrade to a new desktop solid-state soon having just sold the Emotive BasX A100 - it was just too big, the output impedance (220z) was too high for low-Z cans, and there was also an unacceptable noise-floor. I'm looking for a balanced/XLR set-up, so open to suggestions!

AFO is one of the warmer listens, so it will probably work well with cold, clinical and detailed equipment rather than a DAC and amp that are warm, but sacrificing some detail. Did you get them for $799?

I don't know how good the headphone section is in the D3020. The NAD products don't offer balanced. Questyle and Violectric offer balanced connections, and both are available at The Source in Torrance. I think AFO's are revealing enough that you will get more value out of spending more money on your amp, than if you had $500 headphones like the Sennheisers.

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #2,159 of 2,583
AFO is one of the warmer listens, so it will probably work well with cold, clinical and detailed equipment rather than a DAC and amp that are warm, but sacrificing some detail. Did you get them for $799?

I don't know how good the headphone section is in the D3020. The NAD products don't offer balanced. Questyle and Violectric offer balanced connections, and both are available at The Source in Torrance. I think AFO's are revealing enough that you will get more value out of spending more money on your amp, than if you had $500 headphones like the Sennheisers.
Thanks for the advice mate - I'm from Sydney so won't be able to visit The Source in a hurry (was over on vacation)! Good advice on the amp-front, I'll have a look around locally for vendors.

Cheers!

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #2,160 of 2,583
Thanks for the advice mate - I'm from Sydney so won't be able to visit The Source in a hurry (was over on vacation)! Good advice on the amp-front, I'll have a look around locally for vendors.

Cheers!

Why not? It’s only a 17 hour flight lol ..... you should be able to find the products being recommended in Sidney, after all it’s not the outback now is it. If you have troubles finding gear in Sidney give us a shout and we’ll help you find access. :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back