MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #1,996 of 2,583
Great story! Craig, if you're reading this I would encourage you to get the Aeon Flow Closed as well. They are both great headphones, and different enough that owning both makes good sense. I started with the Closed and got the Open later and I am very happy with both.

+1 for getting both AFO and AFC. Collect 'em all :)

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,997 of 2,583
Sep 3, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,998 of 2,583
Sep 4, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #1,999 of 2,583
A customer named Craig sent this to our inbox, I asked if he wouldn't mind letting me post it, as i was worth a chuckle!

---------

My wife is NOT happy. She's threatening to leave me.
"All you talk about is Aeon this Aeon that! What about me? What about my needs?"
"If you love Aeon so much, why don't you go marry her!"

Seriously though, I bought a new setup to replace my budget level HifiMan HE400i and JDS Labs O2+ODAC.
Now I'm rocking out with a Modi Multibit, Burson Soloist MK2, and Aeon Open with a Blue Dragon to top it off. (This is after exchanging numerous products to find the right sound for me.)
I auditioned the Audeze LCD-2 and 3 for 30days each. Those were good cans. But ultimately both returned and exchanged for the Aeon Open. Let me say, simply, I am impressed by MrSpeakers.
These headphones provide SUPREME comfort for someone wearing glasses like myself, and I don't find the pad sealing to be an issue.
This headphone is EXACTLY what my ears were listening out for. The sound signature is pure bliss.
I didn't think I would even mess with any tuning pads, but found myself using the black foam inserts for certain recordings to a great effect without diminishing the quality in a negative manner.
MrSpeakers, you have outdone your self for this price point, in all aspects of what makes a headphone great.
I'm considering buying a pair of Aeon Closed later on.

Many thanks!
I looked on Moon Audio for headphone cables to fit the Aeons. Couldn’t find any. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction. A balanced cable (XLR) would be even better.

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #2,000 of 2,583
Sep 5, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #2,001 of 2,583
Anyone running the AFO with the idsd micro (black)? After all the praising of these headphones i don't get really into it. Really everything sound great but that's not what i want. It's a little bit boring or too laid back sounding. What are your experiences with the idsd. which settings are good for getting excietment out of these headphones?

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #2,002 of 2,583
I had the original micro iDSD and was using it as the dac with Audeze LCD-3 headphones which were also kind of warm sounding. I did not particularly like that pairing as it was a bit too dark and mellow sounding. The AFOs are warmish, the iFi is also warmish, maybe it's just too warm for you?

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #2,004 of 2,583
I had the original micro iDSD and was using it as the dac with Audeze LCD-3 headphones which were also kind of warm sounding. I did not particularly like that pairing as it was a bit too dark and mellow sounding. The AFOs are warmish, the iFi is also warmish, maybe it's just too warm for you?
what amp were you using with the iDSD as the dac?

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #2,006 of 2,583
what amp were you using with the iDSD as the dac?

Red Wine Audio Cassabria - it is a beautiful hybrid tube amp but is also rather mellow and warm, but can be brightened up depending on the tube (I settled on a NOS Telefunken.) It needed a dac with more clarity and resolution then the micro iDSD. The combination was just too mellow and thick.

Sep 10, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #2,008 of 2,583
Update: 9 months in & I honestly can’t make up my mind on the Aeon Flow Open HPs...that is...they continue to evolve & grow on me. I currently have them paired with Woo Audio’s WA8; they are a real treat (but baffling) compared to my other HPs. I still find them to be the most comfortable HPs I’ve worn. The SQ isn’t distinctive...no tuning gimmicks...some say warm...I dunno if I agree...neutral to my ears. Caution: These HPs require patience. I have a love-hate relationship with ‘em...borderline toxic...in that I can’t leave ‘em alone. I keep coming back to this headphone...despite the lure of other HPs in my stable...that I seemingly prefer...albeit momentarily & for distinct reasons (primarily fuller SQ). These cans are a head fake...that is...I cannot draw upon any particular aspect...as to why I love the Aeon’s non sound signature (but I do). The AFO’s are spell binding in that they don’t overdo anything...just deliver the music to the listeners ears!

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #2,009 of 2,583
I am in the same situation as above. My combo Chord Mojo>AFO is *perfect* to me:

- comfort on the head/ears
- comfort while listening on the pillow (my main use)
- highs and mid-highs not fatiguing
- very very enjoyable sound signature, warm but with every detail I need
- Can listen for hours without willing to stop the session
- extremely good-looking

In the past I had HD650 and NightHawks and AFO is better over them two without any doubt.

I really don't look other stuff, don't read any other reviews, I just found my perfect sounding headphone.

I wish to reach the same result with my speakers setup one day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back