MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #1,607 of 2,583
Any opinions on how the afo sounds with trance music? I kind of imagine it being very good, with it's ability to make poor recordings sound great, not to mention a bass response with amazing kick drums without being too much.

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #1,608 of 2,583
Lyr 3, stock tube, no module ordered. I'll let you know how it works with the AFO.

At least this stops everyone from buying the Lyr 2. The Vali 2 is better with the AFO, but none of you would listen :p
Please, let us know your impressions. I was about to order the Lyr2 based on the good feedback and after a great comparison by @koover, seems I’ll wait to see how it goes.

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #1,609 of 2,583
Thanks for everyone's feedback on an amp. I love what Dan had to say about the Gilmore Lite Mk2 and will give that a try with the AFO. The Lyr 3 looks interesting though .I've never had a headphone with anything close to this tuning and absolutely loving it. I only have about 10 hours on it so looking forward to seeing how it opens up over time .

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #1,610 of 2,583
The Gilmore Lite mk2 has the same kind of powerful bass I loved from Cavalli, and the highs are marvelously clear and clean, really great for good string or percussion recording. I'm looking forward to the Lyr 3, the Lyr was my first serious headphone amp. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #1,612 of 2,583
By the way - issues aside - is there a way to reduce the clamping force of the Aeons? Perhaps I just have a large head, but they were vice-like in the few hours I had them, and I didn't want to risk any headband-bending adjustments like you can do with other headphones for fear of damaging the very thin bands.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #1,613 of 2,583
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #1,615 of 2,583
Totally excited! Just ordered the Gilmore Lite Mk2. I'll report back after a listen!
I can weigh in...I purchased a GL2 unit based on Dan’s feedback. It’s just as he described. Like the AEONs...the magic is in its ability to deliver the music primarily ‘as is’...to my ears...it simply boosts the overall tuning/sound of the AEONs...which is what I seek from any amp (clean signal boost with no heard distortion). Enjoy the music.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #1,619 of 2,583
By the way - issues aside - is there a way to reduce the clamping force of the Aeons? Perhaps I just have a large head, but they were vice-like in the few hours I had them, and I didn't want to risk any headband-bending adjustments like you can do with other headphones for fear of damaging the very thin bands.

This doesn’t always work but sometimes it’s just being snugged too tight, relax the headband so there is little weight on the head and more weight on the pads, that will reduce clamp.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back