MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #1,591 of 2,583
If anyone is looking for a reasonably priced portable Dac/amp for the Aeon Open the Ifi Nano BL is remarkable. Nice authoritative bass, smooth mids with a bit of treble sparkle. Decent soundstage, width and depth. I'm really impressed for the size and price. I'm generally listening below half volume and it's plenty loud.

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #1,592 of 2,583
I just sold my Jotunheim because I wasn't completely happy with the Aeon Open pairing.(lack of depth in the soundstage and it was a little too clincal) I'm thinking of the Gilmore Lite Mk2 to go along with my Schiit Bifrost Multibit. Any thoughts or suggestions for me? Looking to stay under $700 for an amp.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,593 of 2,583
I’m gonna be a homer and of course recommmed the Lyr2. Lol
I’ve never heard another amp with the AFO (except on some high end gear at a few meets) other the the Lyr2, Jot and project ember. Out of the 3, I agree with you that the Jot hasn’t the synergy for me versus the other 2 amps. I’m also a tube roller so I have the option of rolling along with tweaking the sound with the tuning pads to my liking, even though I go padless most to all the time.
But you can do that with any tube amp.
The AFO to me is a smooth, engaging, fun warmish, euphoric sounding HP and with the Lyr2 leaning just a tad towards the brighter side (not a lot and not near the Jot) I personally love this combo.
This hopefully is just 1 opinion and others will respond because there’s a lot of amps out there that others are using :)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,594 of 2,583
I just sold my Jotunheim because I wasn't completely happy with the Aeon Open pairing.(lack of depth in the soundstage and it was a little too clincal) I'm thinking of the Gilmore Lite Mk2 to go along with my Schiit Bifrost Multibit. Any thoughts or suggestions for me? Looking to stay under $700 for an amp.

Lyr 2 as Koover suggested, Gilmore Lite MKII, or the Massdrop CTH. I think the Lyr 2 and the Gilmore Lite will give you that extra slam and fill out the headphone more. The AFO sounds good out of the MTCH but subdued compared to my Mjolnir 2.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #1,595 of 2,583
Had somewhat of a horror story with the Aeon Open myself - though having read through this entire thread, it appears to be some seriously bad luck on my part.

I trawled through the entire thread and read every review I could find online about the Aeons before deciding to bite the bullet and purchase from mrspeakers direct. It was the single most expensive headphone purchase I've made, and a ton of money in my local currency, exacerbated by the additional customs duties and tax.

They arrived quickly enough, and I opened the box very eagerly, gingerly plucking the headphones from their carry case. I had no idea which of the tuning pads I'd end up using, so I thought I'd give the default 1 notch white pads a go. It was then I noticed that one of the cups was missing the default pad. Rooted through the whole box, but it was not to be found. I emailed MrSpeakers immediately, though there is a huge timezone difference between here and the USA, so I had to wait many hours for a reply. In the meantime though, I went with the black foam pads. I knew they weren't burned in yet, but I couldn't help taking the Aeons through their paces with some of my test tracks. They sounded like they fit the bill and matched my preferred sound signature already even prior to burn-in, but I thought I detected a slight channel imbalance which put the stereo image slightly towards the right driver. I let it go, thinking perhaps it would sort itself out when I left it burning in overnight. That evening, Steve from MrSpeakers got in touch and told me he had already sent me a replacement pad via Fedex. That is amazing service, especially considering this had to travel internationally. I left the Aeons burning in and went to bed.

In the morning, I was keen to hear them again and listen for any changes. Anticipation turned to horror however, as I put them on and immediately noticed the left driver was dead as a doornail. In a panic, I checked the balance wasn't off somehow in my player. Unplugged and re-plugged the cables. Tried a different pair of headphones to make sure the problem wasn't elsewhere. No such luck - left channel was gone.

Again, I emailed MrSpeakers and later that evening we arranged the return. After some false starts which were Fedex's fault, the headphones have started their journey back across the Atlantic, which is where things stand now. While the experience has been disappointing, the after sales service from MrSpeakers has been exemplary.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #1,596 of 2,583
Had somewhat of a horror story with the Aeon Open myself - though having read through this entire thread, it appears to be some seriously bad luck on my part.

I trawled through the entire thread and read every review I could find online about the Aeons before deciding to bite the bullet and purchase from mrspeakers direct. It was the single most expensive headphone purchase I've made, and a ton of money in my local currency, exacerbated by the additional customs duties and tax.

They arrived quickly enough, and I opened the box very eagerly, gingerly plucking the headphones from their carry case. I had no idea which of the tuning pads I'd end up using, so I thought I'd give the default 1 notch white pads a go. It was then I noticed that one of the cups was missing the default pad. Rooted through the whole box, but it was not to be found. I emailed MrSpeakers immediately, though there is a huge timezone difference between here and the USA, so I had to wait many hours for a reply. In the meantime though, I went with the black foam pads. I knew they weren't burned in yet, but I couldn't help taking the Aeons through their paces with some of my test tracks. They sounded like they fit the bill and matched my preferred sound signature already even prior to burn-in, but I thought I detected a slight channel imbalance which put the stereo image slightly towards the right driver. I let it go, thinking perhaps it would sort itself out when I left it burning in overnight. That evening, Steve from MrSpeakers got in touch and told me he had already sent me a replacement pad via Fedex. That is amazing service, especially considering this had to travel internationally. I left the Aeons burning in and went to bed.

In the morning, I was keen to hear them again and listen for any changes. Anticipation turned to horror however, as I put them on and immediately noticed the left driver was dead as a doornail. In a panic, I checked the balance wasn't off somehow in my player. Unplugged and re-plugged the cables. Tried a different pair of headphones to make sure the problem wasn't elsewhere. No such luck - left channel was gone.

Again, I emailed MrSpeakers and later that evening we arranged the return. After some false starts which were Fedex's fault, the headphones have started their journey back across the Atlantic, which is where things stand now. While the experience has been disappointing, the after sales service from MrSpeakers has been exemplary.
Sorry to hear about that man. Yeah, that is some extraordinarily bad luck as I don’t believe I’ve read about this issue anywhere in this thread. That really sucks to be quite blunt, but as you said MS obviously rocks with their service levels. Hopefully I’ll never have to deal with them with an issue like this but if It does pop up, I can rest and relax knowing they’d take care of me in a speedy and professional manner.
Good luck as I’m sure you’ll love them once it’s all said and done.

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #1,597 of 2,583
I’m gonna be a homer and of course recommmed the Lyr2. Lol
I’ve never heard another amp with the AFO (except on some high end gear at a few meets) other the the Lyr2, Jot and project ember. Out of the 3, I agree with you that the Jot hasn’t the synergy for me versus the other 2 amps. I’m also a tube roller so I have the option of rolling along with tweaking the sound with the tuning pads to my liking, even though I go padless most to all the time.
But you can do that with any tube amp.
The AFO to me is a smooth, engaging, fun warmish, euphoric sounding HP and with the Lyr2 leaning just a tad towards the brighter side (not a lot and not near the Jot) I personally love this combo.
This hopefully is just 1 opinion and others will respond because there’s a lot of amps out there that others are using :)

I just noticed the Lyr 3 is for sale now! 9w into 16 ohms. Tempting!

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,599 of 2,583
I just noticed the Lyr 3 is for sale now! 9w into 16 ohms. Tempting!
gosh. I am not sure whether I have to cancel CTH (maybe too late at this point) and buy this. Looks promising.

PS: I wish they invent technology to put the power button on the front though.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,601 of 2,583
Lyr 3, stock tube, no module ordered. I'll let you know how it works with the AFO.

At least this stops everyone from buying the Lyr 2. The Vali 2 is better with the AFO, but none of you would listen :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back