MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #1,562 of 2,583
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 6, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,563 of 2,583
Congrats Dan!

By the way, the review made me wonder, has anyone tried more than one filter at time? I know they're not intended to be used like that, but I'm just curious.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,564 of 2,583
HiFi+ has a review in their current issue, it's pretty great and closes with:

"But, do they make you wonder why you would consider spending another $500–$1000 for just a small potential uptick in performance? Yes, they certainly do!"

Attachments

• HIFI+157_MrSpeakers_LR.pdf
    166.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,565 of 2,583
Congrats Dan!

By the way, the review made me wonder, has anyone tried more than one filter at time? I know they're not intended to be used like that, but I'm just curious.

Yes, you can. There's no "right" way to have fun and enjoy, and some content like my old Cocteau Twins albums are so ghastly bright that more damping is better. You can do black and foam, white and foam, etc.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #1,566 of 2,583
I was wondering if any owners of the Aeon Flow Open had heard and/or owned a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron Home's? Could you compare the sound / comfort and do you think the Aeon's would be a worthwhile purchase over the Amirons?

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #1,568 of 2,583
I was wondering if any owners of the Aeon Flow Open had heard and/or owned a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron Home's? Could you compare the sound / comfort and do you think the Aeon's would be a worthwhile purchase over the Amirons?

I can only speak from quick demos at CanJam NYC, but the AFO is much closer to my preferred sound sig.

Bass is deeper/more impactful with the AFO, the Amiron has a good amount more treble energy (I only heard AFO with 1 notch pads).
Comfort for me was about the same, as far as soundstage, Amiron has an advantage there .

For my money it's no contest , the AFO is what I would go for (and I just might if I can get my financial ducks in order)

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,569 of 2,583
I'm currently using Hifiman he-400i. But i'm planning to get AFO soon. Could anyone help me to compare a soundstage between AFO and he400i. Does AFO has a slight better soundstage in terms of width?

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #1,570 of 2,583
I actually use Mojo, AFO and 1 notch white filter.

If I buy a Schiit Jot, that should be “fuller” than Mojo, I will need to switch the filters to black each time I change from Mojo to Jot?

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,571 of 2,583
I'm currently using Hifiman he-400i. But i'm planning to get AFO soon. Could anyone help me to compare a soundstage between AFO and he400i. Does AFO has a slight better soundstage in terms of width?

The AFO will have a smaller sound stage than the 400i but you’re sacrificing a little bit of sound stage for a great all around head phone. Hopefully you can try them out at a local meet or audiophile shop.

If I buy a Schiit Jot, that should be “fuller” than Mojo, I will need to switch the filters to black each time I change from Mojo to Jot?

A couple of reviewers mentioned that the Jot can cause treble glare with the AFO. Dan from MrSpeakers recommends the Gilmore Lite MK2 amp or the Mjolnir 2. Koover also likes the Lyr2 and AFO combination but i think he also has the Jot. Maybe he can give you more insight into the two.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #1,572 of 2,583
If you want a portable amp for the AFO under 200, Dan Clark recommended me the Cayin C5 and it is a great amp for them

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #1,573 of 2,583
As for the Mojo, I don't have a clue man. I've only auditioned it a few times for a couple minutes but never with the AFO so someone else would have to answer that one for you. But?.....I own both the LYR2 and Jot (Project Ember V2 too) and they ALL sound great with AFO in my humble opinion. I'm literally listening on the LYR2 with AFO as I type rocking out and sounds great. There's so many opinions on what amp to use but I've settled on these 3 and couldn't be happier.

Actually they're both pretty similar with the Jot having a lot of punch, a tab bit brighter (but not bright per sey while staying smooth) while staying very controlled. The mids to my ears are silky smooth. It also gives you the opportunity to go balanced where the LYR2 is strictly SE. I continue to go with no tuning pads with the Jot as I do with the LYR2.

The LYR2 again is a hybrid and can be tweaked to your liking with tube choice. Couple that with the tuning pads, the small nuances that'll be available to you are basically endless. MY DAC is a Mimby and it's inherently a little warmer so it's kind of a balancing act with all these moving pieces. Amp/DAC/tuning pads/tubes (for L2) volume, preferred genre of music, health of ears, etc. I also should note I don't use any of the pads and if I do, it's only the black.
The LYR2, like the Jot has plenty of power, fast, has an punchy impactful low end where it's not muddy or bloated and dynamic in it's presentation. It has many of the same characteristics of the Jot. It does have a semi solid state presentation though. Again, paired with the correct tubes it does show enough disparity where I feel owning both gives me enough differences that I've taken the idea out of my head on selling either one of them, unless I upgrade to a Gumby and that "should" be my endgame.

If I truly had to make a choice, I'd keep the LYR2 because of the incredible amount of opportunities to roll tubes and tweak the sound to my liking.
The Ember is a different beast so that's for another conversation if it ever comes up.
I really like the AFO with my gear, but It doesn't seem that many head-fiers run with this combo.

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #1,574 of 2,583
If you want a portable amp for the AFO under 200, Dan Clark recommended me the Cayin C5 and it is a great amp for them

I've recently bought the Topping NX4DSD on a whim as a (trans)portable... @ $139 thru Massdrop it's worth an experiment to see if you like it with the AFO. IME it's a great pairing, given the <0.4ohm o/p impedance.... lots of power headroom. No ESS Sabre glare ... quite smooth and bags of detail.

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,575 of 2,583
Dan from MrSpeakers recommends the Gilmore Lite MK2 amp or the Mjolnir 2. Koover also likes the Lyr2 and AFO combination

The question should be: I will have a quite improving over the Chord Mojo?

Dan Clark recommended me the Cayin C5

Having already a Mojo it will make sense to try it (it's very cheap however)?

I'd keep the LYR2 because of the incredible amount of opportunities to roll tubes

Very interesting. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back