MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #211 of 2,583
How do you compare the focal clear to the afo?
I didn't get to do a direct A/B with them so off of just my memory I wouldn't think is fair. We are due for both the Focal Clear and Aeon Opens whenever both ship. I can totally do a comparison for you then!

Also, I'll probably do a youtube video between open and closed, and also a video on the whole Focal line up- Elear, Clear and Utopia.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #212 of 2,583
The Aeon Flow Open maybe a tad too warm for my taste but overall a great headphones at the asking price.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #213 of 2,583
I didn't get to do a direct A/B with them so off of just my memory I wouldn't think is fair. We are due for both the Focal Clear and Aeon Opens whenever both ship. I can totally do a comparison for you then!

Also, I'll probably do a youtube video between open and closed, and also a video on the whole Focal line up- Elear, Clear and Utopia.

I'm also very interested in the Aeon/Focal comparisons. Looking forward to your videos.

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #214 of 2,583
I am listening AFO from my Hugo. I currently own Ether C Flow, and previously owned Ether C and HD800S.
From the first second I started listening it, it impressed me, and I would choose AFO over ECF. Surprisingly, the sound signature of AFOpen is not much different than ECF, but AFO is more musical while it delivers more detailed, sophisticated sound. And overall, mid-bass extension results in significant difference in a listening experience.

Ether C Flow took 200+ hours for a complete break-in. 100 hours for AFO sounds promising.
So far, my preferences goes AFO > ECF > EC > HD800S.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #215 of 2,583
I am listening AFO from my Hugo. I currently own Ether C Flow, and previously owned Ether C and HD800S.
From the first second I started listening it, it impressed me, and I would choose AFO over ECF. Surprisingly, the sound signature of AFOpen is not much different than ECF, but AFO is more musical while it delivers more detailed, sophisticated sound. And overall, mid-bass extension results in significant difference in a listening experience.

Ether C Flow took 200+ hours for a complete break-in. 100 hours for AFO sounds promising.
That's very reassuring as it's my next order for sure!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #216 of 2,583
I have only heard the HD650 on one occasion so I won't be able to give you a direct comparison. I have only listened to the AFO for a few hours and they will need many, many more to be fully burned in. I also need a lot more time to really dissect what I'm hearing. That being said, they seem to be warmer than the HD600. The AFO still have a wonderful midrange so that definitely won't be a negative. From memory, the AFO do have better bass extension, treble extension, and treble presence than the HD650. Unfortunately, that's all I can say for now.

I have yet to listen to any jazz on the AFO.

I'm going to a meet in about a week so I may be able to compare them directly to the HD650 then.

Thank-you ... I guess that warmth might be because they are very new ? Look forward to your further thoughts .. no rush as I can't even see them for sale in Europe yet !

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #217 of 2,583

That’s what I like to see! A headphone 1/2 the price of the ECF and HD800S out punching cans twice it’s weight. Sweet! A first round “knockout”.

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #218 of 2,583

Really? Afo better then ether cflow? Ether is one of the best can i heard... I can't immagine a headphone sounding with more musicality and more smoothly

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #220 of 2,583
Never understood what people mean when they say 650 is warm... And i had 4 pairs in one year and a half, tried them with different setup, balanced cable etc... Still trying to understand.

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #221 of 2,583
It is probably because they are warm, if not downright dark. Of course that is to me. I definitely feel that they are darker AND warmer than the Aeon closed. I don't yet have the Open to compare, but from the descriptions so far, it seems that would hold for them as well.

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #222 of 2,583
To me they are very "warm" and when compared to the Aeon, there really isn't much competition. IMHO, YMMV, etc etc........

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #223 of 2,583
I feel that, paired with the iDSD BL, the AFO are a little too warm for my tastes. I much prefer the cooler sound of the HA-2SE with them. The only problem with that is that the Oppo pushes the treble forward a little bit. Guess I finally have an excuse to get a Mojo or something... :darthsmile:

About 6 hours into my listening and so far haven't heard any changes to the sound. I didn't really notice much change until about 20 hours with the AFC so I will assume these will be similar.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #224 of 2,583
Yay for the HA-2SE! That's what i'm using as well. What if you used the bass switch? With some headphones that does lessen the treble in my experience. Didn't notice much of a difference when i did it with the AFO, , but only suggesting since you mentioned treble being a bit to forward. Didn't even think about it earlier, but treble didn't bother me while i was listening.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #225 of 2,583
I'm also very interested in the Aeon/Focal comparisons. Looking forward to your videos.

but AFO is same class as Elear, and Clear should be compared with Ether flow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back