MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #31 of 2,583
I for one am very interested to hear how this compares to the Edition X.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #33 of 2,583
Thanks for the details on the bass Dan. Many companies, especially planar, seem to disregard that. Not to mention Audeze fans enamored with "bass slam" that I've still yet to hear in any of their headphones, except the too-small-to-be-comfortable Sine closed. Perhaps a way to get the sub bass and retain openness would be a semi open version? Philips Fidelio L1 and L2 are great examples of that. Semi-open but they reach down past 20 hz, with good authority even bass heads can enjoy.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #34 of 2,583
Thanks for the details on the bass Dan. Many companies, especially planar, seem to disregard that. Not to mention Audeze fans enamored with "bass slam" that I've still yet to hear in any of their headphones, except the too-small-to-be-comfortable Sine closed. Perhaps a way to get the sub bass and retain openness would be a semi open version? Philips Fidelio L1 and L2 are great examples of that. Semi-open but they reach down past 20 hz, with good authority even bass heads can enjoy.

If you use Roon (try it, you’ll like it...) you can use the DSP function to tailor the sound to your liking. Audeze already has EQ presets for every model.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #35 of 2,583
If you use Roon (try it, you’ll like it...) you can use the DSP function to tailor the sound to your liking. Audeze already has EQ presets for every model.

Roon is great and we use it, but we also like Amarra, which is a much less costly alternative to Roon and sports a very good visual parametric EQ interface.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 4, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #36 of 2,583
The hex pattern is pretty cool, this isn't just stock stamped material, if you look the pattern actually is asymmetric, a regular hex didn't look so nice so we put some time into making some subtle geometry to make it feel more integrated...

Regarding sub-bass, I personally enjoy EDM a lot, and I love the lowest octave. The open does a good job in this area, only once and a while do I reach for the closed if I don't need isolation. We did our best to make the bass present, rich and textured but honest sounding. There's a bit less down there but it doesn't fall off a cliff, and due to the richer overtones there's a more solid bass presence for most music.

Just one more thing. What do you think about Chord Mojo with both of your knew headphones? Thanks

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #37 of 2,583
Just one more thing. What do you think about Chord Mojo with both of your knew headphones? Thanks

I use it a lot, and enjoy it very much. Some users are also really liking the IFI iDSD Black Label.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #40 of 2,583
I'm really pleased with the first production run. We have tightened up the output on the sub bass and brought at least 2dB more bass below 45Hz. The headphone sounds really strong, with a very solid bottom end.

Frequency response:
AOFr.png

THD is definitely better than this, this is a quick measurement taken in my office with a lot of traffic noise:
AOTHD.png

Impulse response is super clean:

AOImpulse.png

AND we are ahead of schedule. Orders will start shipping by next Monday.

Last edited:

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #43 of 2,583
Ouch, I don't like to bother you, but do you have a list of recommended amps/gear for your HPs?
Thanks
In that price range, you've got the iFi iDSD Black Label, the Chord Mojo, and then a pretty sizable quality gap before you hit any other really out-of-this-world options. Those are two of the very best bang-for-buck products in all of high-end audio. Mojo is smaller, so you get a little more portability/form factor - certainly fits better with a small portable DAP or cell phone. It's very crisp and sharp in the imaging department with good holography. It should also be noted that the Mojo translates very well as a DAC for a 2-channel system. The iDSD Black Label is warmer, smoother and more impactful. To me it sounds slightly more analog, and there is a warm naturalness to the midrange. Head-to-head, I felt it slightly outperformed the Mojo. It also has a ton of power and a ton of options (bass boost, crossfeed, sensitivity settings, etc.). Personally, I like them both and own them both. Either one will drive the AEON open and closed versions very, very well. They work splendidly with the ETHER models, as well.

And, of course, they will continue to scale up noticeably with higher-end gear.

Oct 4, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #44 of 2,583
In that price range, you've got the iFi iDSD Black Label, the Chord Mojo, and then a pretty sizable quality gap before you hit any other really out-of-this-world options. Those are two of the very best bang-for-buck products in all of high-end audio. Mojo is smaller, so you get a little more portability/form factor - certainly fits better with a small portable DAP or cell phone. It's very crisp and sharp in the imaging department with good holography. It should also be noted that the Mojo translates very well as a DAC for a 2-channel system. The iDSD Black Label is warmer, smoother and more impactful. To me it sounds slightly more analog, and there is a warm naturalness to the midrange. Head-to-head, I felt it slightly outperformed the Mojo. It also has a ton of power and a ton of options (bass boost, crossfeed, sensitivity settings, etc.). Personally, I like them both and own them both. Either one will drive the AEON open and closed versions very, very well. They work splendidly with the ETHER models, as well.

And, of course, they will continue to scale up noticeably with higher-end gear.

I totally agree with @Hansotek (I usually do! we probably have a very similar taste... :wink:)
2 additions to the above:
a. I strongly suspect the AEON would match nicely with the MassDrop CTH (hybrid) and LCX (solid state). I personally joined both drops!
b. Regarding the scale-up-noticeably note - I own the Woo Audio WA8, which is a VERY nice small (I would not call it portable...) DAC/AMP (tube), and it is absolutely gorgeous together!! approx. 3 times the price of Mojo or iDSD BL, but sounds WAY better :)

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #45 of 2,583
I totally agree with @Hansotek (I usually do! we probably have a very similar taste... :wink:)
2 additions to the above:
a. I strongly suspect the AEON would match nicely with the MassDrop CTH (hybrid) and LCX (solid state). I personally joined both drops!
b. Regarding the scale-up-noticeably note - I own the Woo Audio WA8, which is a VERY nice small (I would not call it portable...) DAC/AMP (tube), and it is absolutely gorgeous together!! approx. 3 times the price of Mojo or iDSD BL, but sounds WAY better :)

True that. The WA-8 is awesome, and I know for sure ÆON sounds great with the Liquid Carbon. Hopefully, the Massdrop build turns out to be great as well.

(And I have that CTH on order too!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back