Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #76 of 404
InnerFidelity's Tyll Hertsens did a MrSpeakers' VOCE factory tour conducted by CEO Dan Clark ---- this factory tour video was posted on YouTube in May 2018.
It was interesting to see Dan explain that the VOCE diaphragms are held in place by 3M adhesive film - understood Dan to say that it's the same adhesive is used fasten architectural panels in buildings (predicted forty year adhesive grip?). Anyway, years ago, Mylar electrostatic speaker driver diaphragms were typically fastened by a combination of glue and clamping force by the spacers between the stators. At that time my electrostatic speaker drivers would often slip & lose tension after a couple of years or sooner.
Mylar is very slippery stuff; difficult to glue in place.
Sometimes I could use a hot-air gun to shrink the Mylar film which would re-tension the diaphragms = but in my experience, this was a temporary fix at best.
Stax, of course, had a better track record.

It's notable that RAAL ribbon tweeters use plastic film fastened to the ends of the aluminum ribbons to set the tension - and a hot gun is used to shrink the plastic film thereby tensioning the ribbon element when/if necessary. There was/is a YouTube demo video showing how you can use a hot air gun to re-tension a RAAL ribbon tweeter.

I still worry about tensioned electrostatic diaphragms stretching/slipping over long periods of time -- to me it's just a question of time - not whether or not it will ever happen or not.
However, at least 10-15 years driver lifetime would be OK with me. (IMO, Stax seems to have mostly achieved this already).

Wish the VOCE warranty could be 5 years -- not just two years.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #77 of 404
Has there been any aftermarket cables made for the Voce?

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #79 of 404
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 24, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #81 of 404
@mrspeakers I have a somewhat related question that you may be able to answer. I haven't seen closed back electrostatic headphones (other than an old STAX model), is that because of technical difficulties or there is no market for closed back electrostatic headphones?

Don’t know that there really is a market and closed backs are hard.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 24, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #82 of 404
When I heard them it was with HFM Shangri-la Jr. amp. The other person with me has the Blue Hawaii (and 009), and he said he thought the HFM was better with the Voce than the B H.

Personally I'm staying away from hearing the Voce's again - unless I'm lashed to a mast with wax in my ears - I just can't afford the bundle. Looking forward to hearing the E2's however.

Feb 7, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #83 of 404
VOCE just picked up another award, this time The Absolute Sound's Editors' Choice Award for 2019...

TAS Editors' Choice E2.png

And yes, I've heard VOCE sounds really great on the new amp from HiFi Man, for those looking for a non-Stax affordable amp. I'll be spending some time with it at CanJam NYC.

Also, we will have a quiet room at the show, please come by for a good listen!

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #84 of 404
Hello guys. My STAX SR-009 got a channel imbalance lately, so i'm thinking of buying new MrSpeakers Voce maybe.
I heard them in demo room and pretty liked them.
Just wondering if any channel imbalance issues reported for Voce so far? Thanks.

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #85 of 404
Hello guys. My STAX SR-009 got a channel imbalance lately, so i'm thinking of buying new MrSpeakers Voce maybe.
I heard them in demo room and pretty liked them.
Just wondering if any channel imbalance issues reported for Voce so far? Thanks.
I've had mine since they first released.
No issues here and I have not heard of any imbalance issues. Even if there were I know Dam would fix them.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #86 of 404
We have only had two service issues, both early production due to small contaminants. We adjusted our process and that was addressed.

Feb 18, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #87 of 404
All I can say is WOW. I attended Can Jam NYC. I tried out lots of headphones including several five figure setups and the set that really took my breath away was the VOCE. Dan was really nice and helpful. I ended up buying a Aeon Flow closed with the upgrade cable. I like them a lot , but I can't stop thinking about the Voce. People should really do their best to get a chance to audition them. Mr. Speakers had quiet listening booths to the side with some really great amps. One of the things that was interesting about the Voce was it was incredibly detailed, yet it sounded quite good with things that weren't recorded very well. I don't have a wealth of listening experience, but I haven't listened to anything quite as detailed and revealing that didn't make poorly recorded music sound bad. The other thing that really stood out was how solidly constructed it felt without being heavy. it felt sturdier than my LCDs but at about two thirds the weight. I'm planing on going to audio 46 to listen some more.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #88 of 404
All I can say is WOW. I attended Can Jam NYC. I tried out lots of headphones including several five figure setups and the set that really took my breath away was the VOCE. Dan was really nice and helpful. I ended up buying a Aeon Flow closed with the upgrade cable. I like them a lot , but I can't stop thinking about the Voce. People should really do their best to get a chance to audition them. Mr. Speakers had quiet listening booths to the side with some really great amps. One of the things that was interesting about the Voce was it was incredibly detailed, yet it sounded quite good with things that weren't recorded very well. I don't have a wealth of listening experience, but I haven't listened to anything quite as detailed and revealing that didn't make poorly recorded music sound bad. The other thing that really stood out was how solidly constructed it felt without being heavy. it felt sturdier than my LCDs but at about two thirds the weight. I'm planing on going to audio 46 to listen some more.
curious, which amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back