Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Dec 6, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #47 of 404
And another best High-End headphone award, this from HiFi+. It's in print so here's the full review...

HIFI+166 Awards_MrSpeaker_LR.png

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 17, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #50 of 404
I think there’s more news to come, too...

I'm new to electrostatic headphones. I'm coming from planar-magnetic (Hifiman HE1000V2/Anandas, Audeze LCD3). After exchanging numerous chat messages with Justin and talking with Peter at Headamp.com he suggested the Voce with their BHSE amplifier. Initially (and even after the transaction), I still was a bit hesitant and wondering if I should go with the STAXS instead because they've been around so long, but Peter's recommendations based on Voce's more linear and balanced sonic characteristics does make me feel like this is the correct headphone for me. Having a bit more linear and deeper bass and balanced mids/highs is right up my alley. I am tremendously excited and can't wait to listen to this pairing. I must commend Mr Speakers on making a solid American product that can compete against the best electrostatics out there. Congratulations on the awards and great review as well. I have to reiterate for effect, Peter really went to bat for you and your products and my entire buying experience with headamp.com was exemplary. You have a superb dealer in Virginia.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #51 of 404
I'm new to electrostatic headphones. I'm coming from planar-magnetic (Hifiman HE1000V2/Anandas, Audeze LCD3). After exchanging numerous chat messages with Justin and talking with Peter at Headamp.com he suggested the Voce with their BHSE amplifier. Initially (and even after the transaction), I still was a bit hesitant and wondering if I should go with the STAXS instead because they've been around so long, but Peter's recommendations based on Voce's more linear and balanced sonic characteristics does make me feel like this is the correct headphone for me. Having a bit more linear and deeper bass and balanced mids/highs is right up my alley. I am tremendously excited and can't wait to listen to this pairing. I must commend Mr Speakers on making a solid American product that can compete against the best electrostatics out there. Congratulations on the awards and great review as well. I have to reiterate for effect, Peter really went to bat for you and your products and my entire buying experience with headamp.com was exemplary. You have a superb dealer in Virginia.

Thanks for the kind words, I hope he headphones live up to your expectation! Yeah, our friends at Headamp make beautiful gear that really pairs well with the VOCE. In fact it's become almost standard for us to do shows together because of the synergy.

A great upgrade for the BHSE is a set of original Siemens NOS EL34 tubes, you can get those from RAM Labs if you want.

Have fun!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #52 of 404
Thanks for the kind words, I hope he headphones live up to your expectation! Yeah, our friends at Headamp make beautiful gear that really pairs well with the VOCE. In fact it's become almost standard for us to do shows together because of the synergy.

A great upgrade for the BHSE is a set of original Siemens NOS EL34 tubes, you can get those from RAM Labs if you want.

Have fun!

I'm sure they will blow me away and I am beyond excited to experience this combo! I was advised not to buy NOS tubes by a couple of HeadFi members and HeadAmp until I know what the BHSE can do and is properly broken in with the included tubes, but I like Scotch...LOL... Scotch, Scotch, Scotch and I know better and decided not to listen to this advice lastnight! I knew I didn't want a dark sounding tube so I steered away from the Mullard NOS. I noticed the forums mentioned that Siemans EL-34 NOS tube were available through Mesaboogie. These are matched and tested Mesa Siemens EL-34 STR 450 (New Old Stock). Which were $379 for a quad. I did find references to Ram Labs and there version which at least look like the same tube, but I purchased the matched quad from Mesa because I felt like it was such a great value compared to $600 for a quad matched set from RAM Lab's NOS Sieman's EL34 tube.

(This is where you tell they aren't the same tube or interject that you get what you pay for or tell me to stop drinking, LOL, but honestly after buying the BHSE/VOCE/MYTEK DAC+ combo I'm a bit light in the wallet if you know what I mean)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #53 of 404
I heard them briefly Saturday and was so impressed. In 48 years of chasing the grail, I've found precious few transducers that reproduce all of what is in music (Quads, Infinity Servo Statics, Duettas, MBL 111, MG 20).

If you'll permit me - an unscientific way to express it is yin vs yang. Genius designers like Nelson Pass figure out how to capture the essence of technology (circuit design in his case) looking at circuits often associated with tubes, but he uses FET's, and if you know his amps you know they are tube like within the fact that they are not. The designers of the Voce have done that here. There is a sweetness, and harmonic richness coming from a technology that tends to be precise but not organic. The Voce seems to have both traits in nearly equal measure. Certainly the best headphone I have ever heard (haven't heard the 009).

Anyone that can name a used cheapish means of driving it - let me know. There are the voltage matching issues, so the field might be small. Can't wait to hear it again.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #54 of 404
I heard them briefly Saturday and was so impressed. In 48 years of chasing the grail, I've found precious few transducers that reproduce all of what is in music (Quads, Infinity Servo Statics, Duettas, MBL 111, MG 20).

If you'll permit me - an unscientific way to express it is yin vs yang. Genius designers like Nelson Pass figure out how to capture the essence of technology (circuit design in his case) looking at circuits often associated with tubes, but he uses FET's, and if you know his amps you know they are tube like within the fact that they are not. The designers of the Voce have done that here. There is a sweetness, and harmonic richness coming from a technology that tends to be precise but not organic. The Voce seems to have both traits in nearly equal measure. Certainly the best headphone I have ever heard (haven't heard the 009).

Anyone that can name a used cheapish means of driving it - let me know. There are the voltage matching issues, so the field might be small. Can't wait to hear it again.

What an excellent post buddy!

Dec 18, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #55 of 404
OK, it matches a number of amps and energizers - some going back to the 70's (every Stax). Get a Stax, and redo the caps, tubes, maybe tube sockets and plugs, and it might not shake the roof, if the essence comes through, it's a good start. Transducers after all are THE thing to focus on.

Dec 18, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #57 of 404

Have fun!
LOL - you probably did not mean this ram labs but just LOL
Capture.PNG

Probably this one is what you meant??,
http://www.ramlabs-musicreference.com/

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #59 of 404

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #60 of 404

Users who are viewing this thread

Back