Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Oct 24, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #31 of 404
Vs the ETHER Flow; way larger soundstage, faster attack, greater dynamics, greater extension at the top, more linear bass-midrange response, increased micro-details, much less isolation.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #32 of 404
Vs the ETHER Flow; way larger soundstage, faster attack, greater dynamics, greater extension at the top, more linear bass-midrange response, increased micro-details, much less isolation.

Thanks Dan,

What about bass response comparatively I am not sure what more linear sounds like?

I am confused by this statement though on Woo Audio site about the WEE which is one of the recommended energizers and needs 3 watts:
  • Not recommended for STAX SR-009 & SR-007 MKII headphones. Consider GES, WES or 3ES dedicated electrostatic amplifier for best results.
I am going to get the Chord TT 2 which is rated at the following:

• Output power (unbalanced): (@1% THD) 288 mW RMS 300Ω; 7.3 W RMS 8Ω
  • Output power (balanced): (@1% THD) 1.15 W RMS 300Ω; 18W RMS 8Ω
Will I be OK?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #33 of 404
Thanks Dan,

What about bass response comparatively I am not sure what more linear sounds like?

I am confused by this statement though on Woo Audio site about the WEE which is one of the recommended energizers and needs 3 watts:
  • Not recommended for STAX SR-009 & SR-007 MKII headphones. Consider GES, WES or 3ES dedicated electrostatic amplifier for best results.
I am going to get the Chord TT 2 which is rated at the following:

• Output power (unbalanced): (@1% THD) 288 mW RMS 300Ω; 7.3 W RMS 8Ω
  • Output power (balanced): (@1% THD) 1.15 W RMS 300Ω; 18W RMS 8Ω
Will I be OK?

An refuser isn’t as good as a dedicated amp. I think Woo is suggesting if you have TOTL phones get an amp not an energizer.

If you are asking of the TT2 can drive a WEE that is a question for Woo...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #34 of 404
Four weeks ago, I didn't know the difference from a dynamic, to a electrostatic, to a planar headphone. This site and these forums are such an education to go through and read and learn from! With that said a few headphones and driver styles have REALLY piqued my interest and I have to say that these are at the top of my list. I can't commit as I want to take a thoughtful journey and don't have unlimited funds to make a purchase for everything as it becomes new to me. That said, I am now very much certain that a pair of electrostatics are in my future and this set, as described, sounds fantastic.

*note to self: attend a Can Jam*

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #35 of 404
An refuser isn’t as good as a dedicated amp. I think Woo is suggesting if you have TOTL phones get an amp not an energizer.

If you are asking of the TT2 can drive a WEE that is a question for Woo...

Dan,

I won't be able to listen to the VOCE until CanJam London, I am not sure what linear bass response sounds like, can you describe compared to Ether Flow?

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #36 of 404
Dan,

I won't be able to listen to the VOCE until CanJam London, I am not sure what linear bass response sounds like, can you describe compared to Ether Flow?

That’s a bit tricky but the best way to say it is probably that VOCE actually reaches deeper, but it’s faster and has less emphasis on the bass, as ETHER has boosted output.

BUT because VIce has a much larger driver it gives more bass “feel.” It’s also lower distortion than ETHER Flow, so it sounds lighter and taughter with less fuzz. When you listen to acoustic bass on VOCE it’s startlingly natural sounding, while on electronics you realize just how much distortion most transducers generate at lower frequencies.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #37 of 404
That’s a bit tricky but the best way to say it is probably that VOCE actually reaches deeper, but it’s faster and has less emphasis on the bass, as ETHER has boosted output.

BUT because VIce has a much larger driver it gives more bass “feel.” It’s also lower distortion than ETHER Flow, so it sounds lighter and taughter with less fuzz. When you listen to acoustic bass on VOCE it’s startlingly natural sounding, while on electronics you realize just how much distortion most transducers generate at lower frequencies.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing them at CanJam London. How far in advance are the audition tracks selected? It would be nice if I can listen to them in advance since they are likely not in my current playlist.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #38 of 404
Thanks, I look forward to hearing them at CanJam London. How far in advance are the audition tracks selected? It would be nice if I can listen to them in advance since they are likely not in my current playlist.

We usually have tidal so you can hear what you want...

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #39 of 404
Woo Audio got back to me they say Chord Hugo TT 2 is not powerful enough to drive WEE.

Oct 27, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #41 of 404
Wee is really meant for power amps...

Getting VOCE just got substantially more expensive and without any other stats in my collection maybe not something to pursue. Ether 2...

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #43 of 404
Does the VOCE require break-in time as long as conventional headphones?

Our planars take some burn in due to the processing of the driver’s traces which are made of AL. VOCE is purely Mylar and the burn in is pretty fast, probably under 50 hours to be mostly there.

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #44 of 404
Some pretty big news today, VOCE just won headphone "Product of the Year" from The Absolute Sound! The full article is in the January issue.

"...the VOCE stands as one of the finest electrostatic headphones ever created and one that provides stiff competition for Stax’s legendary SR-009."

ABSOLUTE SOUND POY 2018 LOGO V12.jpg

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #45 of 404

Attachments

• DSC_5576-2.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back