Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs Smeggy's Thunderpants ( Fostex T50RP MODS )
Jul 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pichu

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so these both are awesome mods. they really change the fostex into a whole new headphone. Both of these headphones are made to compete in the $400 and up headphone category. The Mad dogs can eb found for $260, where the Thunderpants can be found for $450+. I understand that the Thunderpants uses wood, but other than the extra asthestics, what  makes it cost so much more? What makes the Thunderpants so much more? Do they sound the same? Whats the key differences  and what is the better deal?

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 12
Ok, so these both are awesome mods. they really change the fostex into a whole new headphone. Both of these headphones are made to compete in the $400 and up headphone category. The Mad dogs can eb found for $260, where the Thunderpants can be found for $450+. I understand that the Thunderpants uses wood, but other than the extra asthestics, what  makes it cost so much more? What makes the Thunderpants so much more? Do they sound the same? Whats the key differences  and what is the better deal?

Don't think they will sound the same, haven't read anyone saying they sound the same

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
looked them up, they seem good, where can I find them?

You can pm LFF for more information regarding the Paradox. I have one and they sound amazing =)

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 12
I heard Thunderpants at the recent NYC meet in June with CTH and O2 amps and they had overpowering bass which bleeds into mids and changes the music. Even their owner admitted that they are god only for some types of music. I also heard Mad Dogs but can't comment since they were not current version. Dan implemented latest bass mod after he came back from NYC. I do have Mad Dogs with comfort headband and Dog Pads on preorder since the day I find out they were announced at the main Mad Dog thread

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 12
Paradox and Mad Dog are just very much better than Thunderpants. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
I heard Thunderpants at the recent NYC meet in June with CTH and O2 amps and they had overpowering bass which bleeds into mids and changes the music. Even their owner admitted that they are god only for some types of music. I also heard Mad Dogs but can't comment since they were not current version. Dan implemented latest bass mod after he came back from NYC. I do have Mad Dogs with comfort headband and Dog Pads on preorder since the day I find out they were announced at the main Mad Dog thread

The current version is not as good as the new version..it is NOT  a night & day difference,but it is definetly there..
I just had the new maddogs for 3 days..
New pads are also better,they wrap around the ear,& give more comfort & isolation..at least on my ears
Bass is increased..
Instrument isolation has increased..
Overall SQ has imroved
I strongly recommend them.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 12
The current version is not as good as the new version..it is NOT  a night & day difference,but it is definetly there..
New pads are also better,they wrap around the ear,& give more comfort & isolation..at least on my ears
Bass is increased..
Overall SQ has imroved

Curious how you compare the Mad Dogs to the LCD-2's which I see from your profile that you also own. Other than that they are both orthos it doesn't seem right to compare a $300 closed can to a $995 open one, but many in the main MD thread compare the MD's favorably to the LCD-2's. thoughts?

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Bass is increased..
Overall SQ has imroved

I preordered mine on 08/19/12 and looks like wasn't the lucky one who got las pair of those few Dan shipped last week so just patiently waiting for mine toarrive sometime in September

Users who are viewing this thread

Back