Mr Speakers Ether
Mar 25, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #32 of 456
So just to confirm..  These are "not" using the old Fostex T50RP Drivers - correct?

i wld like an official confirmation as well. designed for the ground up with new drivers does not mean not using the fostex t50rp driver as a base or model. just curious

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #33 of 456
i wld like an official confirmation as well. designed for the ground up with new drivers does not mean not using the fostex t50rp driver as a base or model. just curious

Which was what I was asking for as well, basically a confirmation that a new driver is being used. Price of the unit as been answered, thanks to all for the replies. As you can see, I have the AD and stock T50RP, I do NOT wish to add another T50RP driver can to my collection.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #34 of 456
  Which was what I was asking for as well, basically a confirmation that a new driver is being used. Price of the unit as been answered, thanks to all for the replies. As you can see, I have the AD and stock T50RP, I do NOT wish to add another T50RP driver can to my collection.

I think it's definitely a new driver (single-sided, larger diaphragm). Just curious if the t50rp is still being used as a base or model or if using t50rp components within the driver.

I am a bit confused about why the v-knurling is applied to the diaphragm as I was under the impression that was a modification to overcome some of the t50rp's limitations. if using a brand new driver, wouldn't it be possible to tune the drivers without the need for v-planar?

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #35 of 456
So to the most priviledged who has access to both, Ether vs HE1000?

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #37 of 456

I think having two threads is best in the long run -- one for general discussion and one purely for impressions. That way people who only want to read impressions can do so. 

Fair enough :). Forgive me if I drop off this one folks....PM me if OP actions are needed at all.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #38 of 456
That's a pretty uneven match seeing that one HE1000 = 2x Ether, if the Ether can even come close to the HE1000 in performance, it'd be a win for the Ether imo.

Perhaps but perhaps the Ether will give the HE1000 a run for its money...

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #39 of 456
If they sound half as good as they look, I can clean house! 

Dan is a genius. Right on the heels of the HE1000 price disclosure, he offers up something "affordable".

That loud thump you just heard was the collective sound of Head-Fi'ers jumping off the HE1000 bandwagon. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #40 of 456
Subbed.

Love the looks.  Like a HE-6 with some custom painted rings and a lightweight headband.  The question is does it have the visceral bass of the HE-6, the standard all open/planar headphones will have to live up to for me. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #41 of 456

That's a pretty uneven match seeing that one HE1000 = 2x Ether, if the Ether can even come close to the HE1000 in performance, it'd be a win for the Ether imo.

Perhaps but perhaps the Ether will give the HE1000 a run for its money...

The Ether may take a lot of sales away from Hifiman HE1000, depends on reviews of the sound though, but anything close to the HE1000will sway a lot of buyers.  I know I would never pay $3000 for a headphone no matter how good.  The Ether is looking very tempting.  Can't wait until comparisons start coming in.  I sure like the looks and design better than the HE1000!

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #42 of 456
agree abt the looks. well maybe this will cause a price drop for the he1k in the future. but ya, $3k is hard to swallow for a pair of headphones... no matter how good.

i guess for me, ive always been a bit iffy paying $1k for a pair of modded headphones using drivers that are more than a decade old, no matter how good they sound or how extensive the modding. i rly like how mr speakers is making smtg that is totally their own product. definitely excited to hear how they compare against the competition!

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #43 of 456
If it uses a  totally different driver from the AP and cans below it, then I might bite depending on reviews and impressions. Pardon my saying so, but MrSpeakers has milked all it can outta the T50RP drivers, I don't think much else can be done to improve the sound. I actually find my AD to be.....don't jump on me for saying this, but it sounds kind hollow. At first, I'd thought it was due to my A/B'ing with my GS1000I or K812, I then tried my HE400i and HD700, I dunno, I keep having this impression that it sounds hollow. Bah, perhaps I'd not allowed my ears much time to adjust to its unique signature sound......that's the 'trouble' with having so many cans.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #44 of 456
agree abt the looks. well maybe this will cause a price drop for the he1k in the future. but ya, $3k is hard to swallow for a pair of headphones... no matter how good.

i guess for me, ive always been a bit iffy paying $1k for a pair of modded headphones using drivers that are more than a decade old, no matter how good they sound or how extensive the modding. i rly like how mr speakers is making smtg that is totally their own product. definitely excited to hear how they compare against the competition!

I had the Fostex TH500RP, and was disappointed.  I can't believe Dan has come up with an open back design, with his own driver design.  Will be interesting I'm sure!

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #45 of 456
I had the Fostex TH500RP, and was disappointed.  I can't believe Dan has come up with an open back design, with his own driver design.  Will be interesting I'm sure!

ya, its a good thing it has a new driver design bc dan totally said himself that the t50rp driver was unsuitable for an open enclosure when commenting on the th500rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back