Mr Speakers Ether
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #152 of 456
All will come to he who waits, glasshopper.........  
wink_face.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #153 of 456
  When will the Ether be released and available for purchase? There's no release date on the Web site and I couldn't find the info in this thread either.

June-ish was what I heard.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #156 of 456
I've really down-sized audio gear collection over the past 12 months, but the Ether is making me want to re-enter the game.  If only I truly felt they'd get enough head-time to make all the attendant costs/gear worth it to me.  Happily, I'm in no hurry, so I'll have plenty of time to see how production versions turn out before committing.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #157 of 456
Searched the thread but "pm-3" not found.

Taking a close look a the Ether. Have the PM-3 (only planars I've heard so far) and, based on early feedback, might try to get the Ether by clearing out some inventory and putting funds toward a big upgrade instead of usb/power/headphone cables.

Not looking for a direct comparison but, to anyone who has heard both the PM-3 and Ether, would you say the Ether is really worth almost 4x the price of the PM-3?

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #158 of 456
  Searched the thread but "pm-3" not found. Taking a close look a the Ether. Have the PM-3 (only planars I've heard so far) and, based on early feedback, might try to get the Ether by clearing out some inventory and putting funds toward a big upgrade instead of usb/power/headphone cables. Not looking for a direct comparison but, to anyone who has heard both the PM-3 and Ether, would you say the Ether is really worth almost 4x the price of the PM-3?

In general, there will be diminishing returns moving up from mid-fi to flagships. You will not get x4 the sound quality for x4 the price, but you will hear noticeable upgrades in sound quality. Whether the extra money is worth it for you would be a subjective opinion. I would recommend bringing your PM-3 to a place where you can demoing some flagship headphones in general to get an idea of how much of a relative difference there is jumping up from mid-fi to $1k+ headphones.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #159 of 456
  Searched the thread but "pm-3" not found.

Taking a close look a the Ether. Have the PM-3 (only planars I've heard so far) and, based on early feedback, might try to get the Ether by clearing out some inventory and putting funds toward a big upgrade instead of usb/power/headphone cables.

Not looking for a direct comparison but, to anyone who has heard both the PM-3 and Ether, would you say the Ether is really worth almost 4x the price of the PM-3?

The difference is almost night and day. The ether isn't 4 times better but maybe 2 or even 3 times better

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #160 of 456
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I know nothing is going to be 4x better but, sometimes, you get what you pay for. Used to limit myself to headphones $200 and under. There are some good ones in that range but I feel like I'm getting a lot more out of the PM-3. Just wonder if the Ether could have a similar effect compared to the mid-fi stuff.

I'll definitely try to bring my PM-3 to an Ether demo and compare for myself.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #161 of 456
Apr 26, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #162 of 456
Here's another thought: the Ether scales differently on every setup I have heard. I enjoyed the Schiit Rag/Yggy the most and second/tied would be the Cavalli Liquid Crimson and whatever DAC Dan had set up. I thought the Auralic stack with the Ether sounded too polite and not weighty enough.

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #163 of 456
Placeholder asking for impressions with the Ether fed by a vintage speaker amp...................thank you in advance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back