MQA.... Scam or not?
Mar 14, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #46 of 197
tidal masters is MQA files? or just lossless 24/96? do i feel sound difference using MQA renderer vs MQA full decoding DAC from laptop no software added to decode MQA qore?

I answered you in the other thread.

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #47 of 197
For MQA to be a scam people have to not understand what they are getting for their money, if people understand they are not being scammed, they are paying for it of their own free will.

With all the criticism of MQA that goes on across seemingly every audio Facebook page and every forum, even on posts that have nothing to do with MQA but all the anti MQA keyboard warriors leap in to educate all us idiots that don't know any better, we all know what MQA is and what we are paying for so where is the scam ?

This is the very definition of a first world problem, a problem that myself and plenty of other people just don't care about because there are better things in this world to be concerned about.

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #48 of 197
For MQA to be a scam people have to not understand what they are getting for their money, if people understand they are not being scammed, they are paying for it of their own free will.

With all the criticism of MQA that goes on across seemingly every audio Facebook page and every forum, even on posts that have nothing to do with MQA but all the anti MQA keyboard warriors leap in to educate all us idiots that don't know any better, we all know what MQA is and what we are paying for so where is the scam ?

This is the very definition of a first world problem, a problem that myself and plenty of other people just don't care about because there are better things in this world to be concerned about.
i like tidal masters music quality. but on tidal app not shows MQA name on their tracks. if i have dac 8x mqa renderer then im get only half unfolded music?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #49 of 197
i like tidal masters music quality. but on tidal app not shows MQA name on their tracks. if i have dac 8x mqa renderer then im get only half unfolded music?

I don't understand what you are asking sorry but I assume you are talking about Hi Fi tracks ???

If the track doesn't show "Master" it will show "Hi Fi" on the app when playing and the DAC will show 44khz or 48khz PCM when you start playing it.

I understand that even Hi Fi songs might have some aspect of MQA digital filtering but they still show on a DAC as PCM so I understand that any MQA capability of the DAC is not activated so it makes no difference.

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #50 of 197

Go to their website.
The first thing you see is this:

1678786832406.png

"The original performance"

Click on the "What is MQA?" button, and you see this
1678786919771.png

"... stream the original master recording..."

Yet, as it has been proven - the MQA format is actually lossy.
The problem people have with it, is that it's being marketed as a bit-perfect, master-recording, when it is not.

The amount of copium in this thread is mind-boggling.

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #51 of 197
I don't understand what you are asking sorry but I assume you are talking about Hi Fi tracks ???

If the track doesn't show "Master" it will show "Hi Fi" on the app when playing and the DAC will show 44khz or 48khz PCM when you start playing it.

I understand that even Hi Fi songs might have some aspect of MQA digital filtering but they still show on a DAC as PCM so I understand that any MQA capability of the DAC is not activated so it makes no differenceno,master tracks shows only 44.2 or 48khz pcm

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #52 of 197

I understand that even Hi Fi songs might have some aspect of MQA digital filtering but they still show on a DAC as PCM so I understand that any MQA capability of the DAC is not activated so it makes no difference.
yes,somethink not works,hi fi or master plays 44 or 48khz only pcm.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #53 of 197
Go to their website.

The problem people have with it, is that it's being marketed as a bit-perfect, master-recording, when it is not.

Go to their website.

You responded to my comment but it seems you didn’t actually read it.

I know what MQA is and what it isn’t and I don’t care what they say in their advertising. I am not “coping”, I just have better things to worry about.

It is very simple, you think you know best, you have said it about half a dozen times in the thread already like a typical anti MQA warrior. You don’t care what my opinion is, I don’t care what your opinion is …. doesn’t get more simple.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #54 of 197
yes,somethink not works,hi fi or master plays 44 or 48khz only pcm.

Something else is wrong if a master track shows PCM.

I don’t know what is wrong sorry, unless the DAC simply isn’t MQA compatible at all or isn’t MQA compatible over the type of connection you are using.

I have a DAC that will process MQA over USB but not over coaxial.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #55 of 197

I don’t know what is wrong sorry, unless the DAC simply isn’t MQA compatible at all or isn’t MQA compatible over the type of connection you are using.

master tracks shows OFS 48khz ,or if disabbled passthrout then shows PCM 96khz . connected usb-a port to laptop.what this mean? does master quality at tidasl 95% is only 24/96khz quality?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #56 of 197
master tracks shows OFS 48khz ,or if disabbled passthrout then shows PCM 96khz . connected usb-a port to laptop.what this mean? does master quality at tidasl 95% is only 24/96khz quality?

I don’t know what it means in your case.

If you have pass through enabled and it shows OFS then MQA isn’t being passed through because OFS is what the DAC will show when the app does the first part of the MQA processing.

If the DAC shows PCM with pass through disabled then it seems like the DAC isn’t getting MQA at all. On my DAC that doesn’t work with MQA over coaxial it will show PCM.

Most Master tracks seem to vary between 44khz and 192khz, a lot 96khz or less. At the end if the day can you hear the difference ? If not don’t worry. If Tidal and MQA is proving troublesome swap to a different service.

Other than that I can’t help sorry that us all I understand of your situation.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #57 of 197
You don’t care what my opinion is, I don’t care what your opinion is …. doesn’t get more simple.
I don't need your opinion when I have the facts.
Clearly you're having trouble making a clear distinction between the two.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #58 of 197

im using usb-a connected dac to laptop. laptop connected to wifi . maybe wifi not delivery full MQA size?

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #59 of 197
I don’t know what it means in your case.

If you have pass through enabled and it shows OFS then MQA isn’t being passed through because OFS is what the DAC will show when the app does the first part of the MQA processing.

If the DAC shows PCM with pass through disabled then it seems like the DAC isn’t getting MQA at all. On my DAC that doesn’t work with MQA over coaxial it will show PCM.

Most Master tracks seem to vary between 44khz and 192khz, a lot 96khz or less. At the end if the day can you hear the difference ? If not don’t worry. If Tidal and MQA is proving troublesome swap to a different service.

Other than that I can’t help sorry that us all I understand of your situation.
there is no sound diffderence enabled or dissabled Passthrough MQA. when disabled and song play screen shows OFS 44.1khz and when song paused -shows PCM 88.2khz.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #60 of 197

Yeah I see several problems here. Somebody gets Tidal and says wow this sounds great. Then the pileup starts and he is told he is being scammed. If he likes it he's not being scammed. Nobody said "all beef hamburger" they said "beef hamburger". It's lossy, it's highres, it's something we haven't seen before. Anybody who thought he was getting redbook had no reason to think that (although there is certainly plenty of redbook on Tidal).

I have news for you, if you thought you were getting bitperfect redbook from Deezer or scamazon you're not, at least not from the desktop apps. Yet I don't see the angry mob taking up the flag on this.

The other problem is people who don't subscribe to Tidal bashing Tidal. Those guys have no standing, it doesn't affect them at all, they should just shut up. Get a life?

I have Tidal Hifi Plus and I have been a subscriber for years. I'm happy with it, I know it's lossy, it sounds good on my gear, and it's priced well in my country. I have other services also but neither of the other two have a bitperfect desktop app. Tidal does. So if you want it, pay for it. If you don't want it, don't pay for it. It seems like option c, don't pay for it and also go on an unholy war against it means the people who choose option c have some problems. And they go in my ignore list. Life is good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back