Moving up from se215.. se425 vs se535 on iphone 4
Nov 14, 2014 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tomicadr30

New Head-Fier
Planning to hit the button on se425 or se535 in the next few days. I loved my 215's but time to move upwards in sq plus the standard cables has corroded fairly heavily. Majority of music is hard rock/metal but like slower paced stuff here and there, still lots of heavy bass lines. Vocals and detail up high are priorities.

Wondering if i'll disappointed with the low end output on 425's coming from the 215's and if the extra $125 AUD for 535's is going to be worth it.

Using (for the first time) iphone 4 as a dedicated source.

Any help or insight would would be great.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 9
The rest of the shure line is different from the 215 as the 215 has dynamic drivers vs the balanced armatures on the higher models. If you want to upgrade but keep same type of sound signature consider the Sennheiser IE80.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 9
I enjoyed the SE425 for rock music when I had it. It doesn't have a lot of sub bass but the mid bass has a nice kick to it which sounds great for kick drums. Overall the sound is much better than the 215, clarity is on a whole other level...

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 9
I know the OP has prob. already made their upgrade choice but just wanted to add my experience with the SE535 and iPhone 6... I am very very happy with them for rock and metal. Coming from the Apple EarPods and uber-bass-heavy Koss Plug, I was blown away by bass that was actually defined and proportional to the rest of the recording rather than overpowering. In light of that, I can see where some people might feel the bass in Shure's balanced armature IEMs is underwhelming, but I think it's mostly just a personal choice of which sound signature you enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back