Motorcycle-Fi
Apr 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #151 of 500
I always thought, especially in the naked bike days of the 70's and 80's, that motorcycles were way too vulnerable to sabotage. Especially spark plug and brake lines on my '71 BMW R60/5 (that, and at that time, every BMW used the same single pole key). You had to carry a big chain and lock, everywhere you went.

The key is sticking out on top of the headlight:

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #152 of 500
hmm looks like my yamaha seca 2 is going to be sold by this weekend. 

Looking at buying a 2008 triumph Daytona 675 or a demo unit 2010 Street Triple which uses the same engine and chassis but a more relaxed riding position and sexy streetfighter looks.

Edit: Oh, and by god dirt biking is soo much fun!

Getting a hitch installed on my Corolla this weekend and converting a simple trailer, installing a plywood base, a wheel chock and rails on it to haul one or at most two dirt bikes on it. Could go buy a truck but just seems WAY too wasteful given rising gas prices, maintenance and insurance etc etc.

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #153 of 500

Quote:
I know, guys.

Thing is, I sort of want something temperamental but rewarding. Call me crazy.

The regular driver is a Toyota. Regular maintenance, and add gas. My other car is an old Comet I've had for about 22 years. It doesn't get driven much, but I can count on one hand the problems I've had. The bike is an older Nighthawk. It needed tires and that's about it so far. My stereo rig doesn't cause trouble, either. My apartment is one I helped rebuild; zero issues. Hell, even my cat is even-tempered and easy to deal with.

Maybe this is a forewarning of a midlife crisis. I sort of want a temperamental mistress. Maybe a Buell or an older Ducati. Have given thought to a Lotus Esprit, even. I have not gotten to the point of wanting a boat or an airplane, though.

On the other hand, maybe I should be thankful for not having much repair drama. The Nighthawk is fun and the Comet still makes smoky burnouts.

Ducati: Drama = Desmodromic Valves, adjusted every 750 - 1000 miles.
Buell: Mistress? No, Dominatrix!  She's quirky, unpredictable, a PITA to wrench on, but I will never give her up.

My '97 Buell S-1
Got her second hand after the original owner put her through 5 recalls.  Definitely not for the faint of heart.
(But with self adjusting hydraulic valves.)

Crazy? 
I went back to film, still listen to vinyl on tubes; rode 4s, now only thumpers and twins. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #154 of 500
Love your bike, ronin74! I didn't pick the one up down here, but there is a Buell in my future. I love the company.

And I have to agree with you about the rest, though I haven't gone back to film yet. I'm trigger-happy with the Nikon and love emailing photos around. Though part of me wants to fool around with medium format and platinum prints.

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #155 of 500
Love your bike, ronin74! I didn't pick the one up down here, but there is a Buell in my future. I love the company.

And I have to agree with you about the rest, though I haven't gone back to film yet. I'm trigger-happy with the Nikon and love emailing photos around. Though part of me wants to fool around with medium format and platinum prints.

Medium format is a blast! Clarity like no other, and depth of field no longer just "blurs out" what's not in focus but rather guides the eye to what is in focus.

No bikes to contribute. Buying a commuter DRZ 450 or KLX 250SF when I get back stateside. So hard to choose for a beginner; i've even been tempted by a Hardknock Bobber, if not for price alone. In real life they are GORGEOUS! IDK how, but there's one here in Afghanistan.

Vegas highways are scary, even in a car, so no highway ability is necessary, and I like upright seating. I made a 150cc twist and go scooter work for two years until I followed too close one day, looking for a hidden address on a busy street. DOH. Got reassured that helmets DO work! Otherwise, my right temple would have been spattered on Eastern and Flamingo.

My old scooter:

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #156 of 500

Quote:

Crazy? 
I went back to film, still listen to vinyl on tubes; rode 4s, now only thumpers and twins. 

What, no reel to reel? 
tongue.gif
 And thumpers are better than Ex-Lax on a daily basis. My '71 Beemer had opposed twins, so it was smooth as silk.

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #158 of 500
^^The BMW boxer engine might be smooth after you get it up in r's but from a stop it has a "twisty-torquey" rumble and feel like no other...but that's from more recent years of production that I have ridden.

Shot during 2007 Friday practice, Laguna Seca...trying to stick with 4-wheels now.

My beloved (how many times have we heard that about amps someone is selling???) ZRX 1200R that I did sell:

My friend on my '98 916 (also sold, but wish I hadn't):

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #159 of 500
Nice thread.  I've been endorsed since 99' and my first ride was a red 99 SV650, which I loved and drove the hell out it the first year of ownership.  I recall putting nearly 8K just in the summer alone.  It was the bike responsible for mastering the skills needed to keep me alive or nonparaplegic within IMHO, one of the crappiest places to ride - the infamous Pacific Northwest or Seattle/Bellevue to be very specific.  Most drivers aka cagers, have a cellphone in their hand and their brains and wits down where the sun doesn't shine.  I sold it to pay for an engagement ring - yeah, I know, it was more than a worth while trade off, but at current times, I sometimes doubt it :)  Next ride was the 02' GSXR 750 as this and the R6/R1 was the FOTM ride at the time.  It gave me more of an adrenaline rush, but was much more less forgiving over the SV.  This bike with the combination of Pacific Northwest cagers, bestowed fear of the grim reaper.  After putting 2K miles on it, I sold it.

Flash forward to current times and not too long ago, I purchased an 01 SV650s with 8K miles to relive the fun and comradery of fellow riders with the the repurposed peace sign as our paths crossed, but sadly, will be posted on Craigslist this week.  I guess having young kids will make you do strange and crazy things.  Also, it doesn't help that some a**hole in a Cadillac Escalade nearly clipped me in the HOV lane while weaving in/out of traffic going at least 80mph (i was cruising at 70mph) on I-405.

Safe riding everyone.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #160 of 500
Hey Alpha...I think we end up here with headphones.  More responsible if we keep the listening under 130 decibels.

I have always respected and recommended the SV650.  (Though I prefer the HD600...hey, that's my crossover humor.)

But I have thought that the SV650 and a trailer would be great for just doing track and having fun.

Glad it doesn't rain as much down here in the Bay Area (usually).

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #161 of 500
Did you get Valentino's signature?  Love his style and racing strategy.  Ah yes, the ZRX 1200R and the Speed Triple are the two greatest hooligan bikes in my book.

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #163 of 500

Quote:
Your crap or the Boxer?
tongue.gif
  Sorry, I lost something in the analogy.

My Boxer had an opposed twin, but could still be considered a thumper. Most thumpers have such vibration issues, it shakes your bowels like Ex-Lax.
The reel to reel comment was based upon you joy of older analog devices (vinyl, tubes, etc).

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #164 of 500
@alphaphoenix: yes, got Vale's sig. I'm a big fan...glad you like the ZRX too!

@immtbiker: I always thought "thumpers" were single-cylinder hyper-motards or enduros...but not sure since I never had one. Hypermotards these days look like so much fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back