Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Apr 6, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #482 of 589
Over 600? 1499-995 = 504
I'm not taming anything in my setup. I use solid state amps that are neutral or have slight tendency towards brightness.

So 500 bucks then. That's still a third of the HD800's price. Now if we take your own "custom all black" HD800s, then we're way past the 600 bucks mark, as I said. The HD800 is grossly overrated and overpriced, like it or not.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #483 of 589

if so, ma900 is criminally underrated

If so, then there are no words to describe how underrated the MDR-F1 is in this community.

I have to get my hands on a MA900 to see if they improved the F1.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #484 of 589
So 500 bucks then. That's still a third of the HD800's price. Now if we take your own "custom all black" HD800s, then we're way past the 600 bucks mark, as I said. The HD800 is grossly overrated and overpriced, like it or not.

Actually my particular headphones only cost $1500, the same as any normal retail pair. Some time in the last 2 years Colorware bumped the price $100. At the time I wanted to buy a new pair and decided if I was going to pay the same amount of money, I'd rather get it colored the way I wanted.

Regardless, I don't consider the HD800 overrated. As one of the best headphones (head-fi consensus) I can't imagine how it actually could be overrated, unless every single thread had someone saying they were the only option, which doesn't happen. They are very popular, and certainly will have detractors, but I think a lot of people who don't like them, make a big show of it to draw attention. I personally think virtually every recent Beyer headphone (beyond DT770/880/990) is basically trash (save T5P), but I don't go around their threads making a fuss. I leave them to their preferences and hope they do the same for mine.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #485 of 589
Actually my particular headphones only cost $1500, the same as any normal retail pair. Some time in the last 2 years Colorware bumped the price $100. At the time I wanted to buy a new pair and decided if I was going to pay the same amount of money, I'd rather get it colored the way I wanted.

Regardless, I don't consider the HD800 overrated. As one of the best headphones (head-fi consensus) I can't imagine how it actually could be overrated, unless every single thread had someone saying they were the only option, which doesn't happen. They are very popular, and certainly will have detractors, but I think a lot of people who don't like them, make a big show of it to draw attention. I personally think virtually every recent Beyer headphone (beyond DT770/880/990) is basically trash (save T5P), but I don't go around their threads making a fuss. I leave them to their preferences and hope they do the same for mine.

You're in a 'most under/overrated headphone' thread, not a HD800 appreciation thread. Seems like you're the one who were quick to voice your disagreement here, not the other way around? 

The HD800 is not a bad headphone by any means, but it is overpriced in my opinion, and while good, I didn't find it "mind blowing" as many here did. As for it being overrated, considering the extreme fanboyism these headphones garnish, where there is always someone getting angry whenever anyone else has something bad to say about the HD800 as if they were personally insulted, it's safe to say overrated isn't an exaggeration by any stretch. I heard a Beyer T1 and found it crappy, for what that's worth.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #486 of 589

You're in a 'most under/overrated headphone' thread, not a HD800 appreciation thread. Seems like you're the one who were quick to voice your disagreement here, not the other way around? 

The HD800 is not a bad headphone by any means, but it is overpriced in my opinion, and while good, I didn't find it "mind blowing" as many here did. As for it being overrated, considering the extreme fanboyism these headphones garnish, where there is always someone getting angry whenever anyone else has something bad to say about the HD800 as if they were personally insulted, it's safe to say overrated isn't an exaggeration by any stretch. I heard a Beyer T1 and found it crappy, for what that's worth.

Yeah, but by the same token, this is not the "most overpriced" headphone thread. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #487 of 589

I didn't feel insulted by either comment I responded to initially, the high end amp choice comment and the pricing error. I didn't even bother to correct you on your latest pricing error, which you seem intent on blowing out of proportion. Last I checked 1600 (colorware HD800) - 995 (bamboo LCD-2) = 605.

Now if we take your own "custom all black" HD800s, then we're way past the 600 bucks mark

Way past $600. Yeah. OK. :rolleyes:

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #488 of 589
Since you seem to nitpick so much, let's add that Audeze has a 3 year warranty, if you want that on your "colorware HD800", it's 300 bucks extra, making them 1900usd: 1900 - 995 = 905 USD, we're now not just way past 600 bucks, we're way WAY past it.

Yeah. OK.

Oh but wait, that is only for 2 years warranty, not 3. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #489 of 589
Senn 2 year warranty not enough? You're getting petty and you know it.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #491 of 589
Senn 2 year warranty not enough? You're getting petty and you know it.

Sennheiser's warranty is not still good if you get your headphones taken apart and repainted by a third party. So no, I'm not getting petty, you're just misinformed about a product you actually own. From Colorware's site:

Warranty
  1. Does the coloring process affect any existing warranty I may have on my product?
    1. Our customization process voids the original manufacturer's warranty.
    2. Purchasing a new product from ColorWare includes a 1 year parts and labor warranty.
    3. We offer an extended warranty that varies by products

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #492 of 589
Obviously, someone who hates the sound of the headphone is going to find it overpriced or overrated.

Obviously, someone who loves the sound of a headphone will find the price to be justified.

We on head-fi like to call this discussing "apples and oranges".

P.S. This is an OVERRATED/Underrated thread. Did you really expect nobody to hate your favorite headphone?

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #493 of 589
Sennheiser's warranty is not still good if you get your headphones taken apart and repainted by a third party. So no, I'm not getting petty, you're just misinformed about a product you actually own. From Colorware's site:

Warranty

1. Does the coloring process affect any existing warranty I may have on my product?

1. Our customization process voids the original manufacturer's warranty.
    2. Purchasing a new product from ColorWare includes a 1 year parts and labor warranty.
    3. We offer an extended warranty that varies by products

Try again.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577731/custom-colored-hd-800/135#post_8606496

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #494 of 589
Don't need to, whatever you're told via PM is void considering this is explicitly said on their website. The wording is also ambiguous from that PM, if your headphones break and you send them to Sennheiser I wouldn't be surprised if they refused.

In fact why would they offer a 1 year warranty to begin with if Sennheiser's warranty is still good? Not only that but I highly doubt Sennheiser would uphold their warranty considering Colorware disassembles the headphones completely to paint them. If I were you I would email Sennheiser and make sure.

What's written on their website vs some obscure PM you got? Yeah. OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back