Most powerful *truly* portable amp?
May 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
*By truly portable I mean it hardly adds any additional weight/bulk to the MP3 player at all...

Is there anything that is that small and can push full sized headphones easily and...sounds good?

Thanks a lot in advance.

May 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:
Thanks. Unfortunately the E11 adds double the weight and bulk to an MP3 player!!

Your wants aren't realistic then. You could try the E6 but I'm not so sure how well that will work with your phones. If you want an all in one solution get a Powerful MP3 player instead.

May 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 23
Thanks. Unfortunately the E11 adds double the weight and bulk to an MP3 player!!

A separate amp also needs a separate battery - an E11 is mostly that, as are most portable amps. What distindguishes the E11 is its slim Nokia battery - others are bulky because they use a 9v or several AA's, but most of their circuit boards are comparable in terms of size.

Others suggest getting a more powerful player to begin with, but it will end up at the same size and weight range, the only benefit being that these Hi-Fi players have a better DAC section and they aren't strapped or taped together - so if they fit in any space, like a jacket pocket, then they fit and you don't need to worry about the interconnect cable breaking, or the player an amp scraping each other, etc.

If you really want 'portable,' don't just ditch the amp - ditch the headphone. Find an IEM that your protable player has enough juice for in terms of power (volume) and current (dynamics). It will help if the cans are a little coloured, like a bit warmer than neutral, since what electronic measurements take as close neutral might be perceived as sharper with an IEM than a headphone.

May 12, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 23
They don't really get much smaller than the E11 aside from the E6. A lot of amps are slimmer but usually longer too.

It kind of sounds like you are looking for the Rocoo P DAP which boasts an extremely good amp built right in the player. Only downside is a 10 hour battery life I think.

May 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 23
Is the Rocoo P DAP able to sufficiently power AKG K702/HD 650 type full sized open headphones with good authority? Howabout even LCD2's?

Or should I go for a Headstage Arrow which seems to be very powerful and smaller and thinner than the iPod Classic?

Of course ideally I'd take one unit rather than two units (though I might superglue the ipod tp the headstage amp) - but how much worse would the Rocoo DAP be?

Quote:
They don't really get much smaller than the E11 aside from the E6. A lot of amps are slimmer but usually longer too.

It kind of sounds like you are looking for the Rocoo P DAP which boasts an extremely good amp built right in the player. Only downside is a 10 hour battery life I think.

May 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 23
Triad L3

Lol. Just trollin you.

May 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #14 of 23
I agree with others that the E11 is perhaps the best portable one. The E6 is pretty good as well, smaller but just not as many features.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #15 of 23
@Cactus.

From what I've read the Rocoo P will not be any good for those headphones. If that is the case you should get the Headstage, they probably aren't comparable in terms of amp quality.

I just use double sided tape. Easy to remove later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back