Most overrated headphones of all time?
Jul 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #46 of 121
Jul 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #47 of 121

Quote:
In terms of mass-market headphones, this is a perfect answer.

In the audiophile world: HD800

x2000 (just taking advantage of the duplicate post)

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #48 of 121
Quote:
oqvist said:

overrated as mentioned doesn´t mean the worst headphone ever or the most expensive headphone...  It´s directly related to the amount of hype in forums like this!

Oh... are we just taking into account the audiophile community then?  The mass market is a much larger audience, so I figured Bose, Beats, and Skullcandy fit just fine in this thread.

Quote:
Drumonron said:

This thread is way overrated and, created for, what would seem to be to me, another chance for some hd800 hate in efforts to spread the venom to, as I see it , drive the market price down for the hd800 so they(the hate mongers) may reap many benefits of a reduced for sale forum price and this is disturbing.

You don't truly believe that, do you?  I'm all for conspiracy theories if they have some weight behind them, but... really? 
blink.gif
  I'd rate the HD800 as the most overrated audiophile-grade can and, trust me, I don't want to buy one.  Given I've never owned one, but I've had the chance to demo them on a few separate occasions, my favorite of which was through a Woo Audio 6.  Don't get me wrong, they sound great and are damn comfortable, but they weren't all that different from my HD600.  The low end was a touch better, extension in both directions received a marginal-at-best improvement, and the soundstage was wider. (not necessarily a good thing)  Considering the price difference it wasn't even close to a worthy upgrade and were an extremely underwhelming experience.  On a purely subjective level, I also thought they were absolutely hideous and looked cheap compared to the HD600.  They seemed quite durable, though.

But my personal experience isn't the only reason why I would say they're overrated.  My other gripe is that many budding audiophiles and even non-audiophiles have readily dubbed them as the holy grail of headphones at first glimpse of the Star Wars-esque looks and bloated price tag.  I don't think another audiophile-grade can has gotten more hype in mainstream media outlets.  I even recall a video of a woman in debt calling into some faux-financial news program asking for advice on whether she should purchase them to block out the noise of her kids.  Here we have someone who most likely has no prior headphone experience outside of iBuds and those generic 'phones they charge $10 for on airplanes and they were even marketed well enough to appeal to her.

Quote:

PS...listening to my "Overrated HD800s" now...."Money", "Pink Floyd", "Dark Side Of The Moon"....deliciously accurate.

So you're listening to an overrated band on overrated headphones...?
wink.gif

EDIT: Everyone has opinions, preferences, and have different concepts of value.  The end wouldn't justify the means to me personally if I were to purchase an HD800 over an HD600, but it might for some.  With that said, I respect anyone's opinion of the HD800 or any other headphone.  Heck, I'm in the market for a V4 Darth (most certainly overrated in their peak of popularity) or an Edition 8. (already mentioned in this thread)  However, they have qualities that I value and take no offense if someone states their opinion of them.  These threads exist for one reason: it's fun to vent our more critical perspectives once in a while.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #49 of 121
Sennheiser HD800 are SOOOOO overrated.

I'm all for driving the prices down!

Quote:
Quote:

Oh... are we just taking into account the audiophile community then?  The mass market is a much larger audience, so I figured Bose, Beats, and Skullcandy fit just fine in this thread.

You don't truly believe that, do you?  I'm all for conspiracy theories if they have some weight behind them, but... really? 
blink.gif
  I'd rate the HD800 as the most overrated audiophile-grade can and, trust me, I don't want to buy one.  Given I've never owned one, but I've had the chance to demo them on a few separate occasions, my favorite of which was through a Woo Audio 6.  Don't get me wrong, they sound great and are damn comfortable, but they weren't all that different from my HD600.  The low end was a touch better, extension in both directions received a marginal-at-best improvement, and the soundstage was wider. (not necessarily a good thing)  Considering the price difference it wasn't even close to a worthy upgrade and were an extremely underwhelming experience.  On a purely subjective level, I also thought they were absolutely hideous and looked cheap compared to the HD600.  They seemed quite durable, though.

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #50 of 121
Ultrasone Edition 9.  If they hadn't been made of some fancy metal and leather, nobody would have bought them.
Anything else made by Ultrasone. Pro 650s, for example, have the absolutely most disgustingly over-bloated and loose bass of any headphone I've ever tried, even Bose.
AT L3000s: Great bass, totally crap everything else.
AT ESW10JPN: Sure, they are very good supra-aural cans, but $500 good? Again, take away the pretty bits and "limited edition" and nobody would have bought them.
Anything by Beyerdynamic. I have yet to try any model made by them that doesn't suck in some way.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #51 of 121
I agree with most of what you said. You thought Pro 650 had loose bass? I thought they lacked bass for supposedly electronica headphones. Loose bass helps electronica sound good but pro 650 just wasn't that good with it imo.
I also bought the ESW10JPN for the looks lol.  ended with me selling them.

Quote:
Ultrasone Edition 9.  If they hadn't been made of some fancy metal and leather, nobody would have bought them.
Anything else made by Ultrasone. Pro 650s, for example, have the absolutely most disgustingly over-bloated and loose bass of any headphone I've ever tried, even Bose.
AT L3000s: Great bass, totally crap everything else.
AT ESW10JPN: Sure, they are very good supra-aural cans, but $500 good? Again, take away the pretty bits and "limited edition" and nobody would have bought them.
Anything by Beyerdynamic. I have yet to try any model made by them that doesn't suck in some way.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #54 of 121
apple ibuds.... by FAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #55 of 121

Quote:
K-701/2
PS-1000
Every Ultrasone (yes, I've heard Ed. 8 and Ed. 9)
Those marginal 700 and 900 Audio Technicas that are constantly flogged to new members

Possibly the T1.  I need to spend more time with one.

Also, there are some particularly hideous-sounding custom "art" headphones out there, too, but I think I've fanned the flames enough for today.

Uncle Erik, have you ever heard an AD2000? Just curious, cause you seem to have a low opinion of Audio-Technica. But it's similar to the SA5000 that you like so much in a lot of ways. I think you might like it if you tried it from a decent amp...

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #56 of 121
I find the PortaPros to be quite overrated.

And let's be honest, the HD800, T1, HE-6, and LCD-2 are all overrated. But damn they all do sound nice. :) I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Animals album and I'm not disappointed.

I'm not selling my HD800. At least not until the HD900, T2, HE-7, and LCD-3 are released.

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #58 of 121

Quote:
You need better music then. The HD800s give you what you give them.
wink.gif

That's a very ignorant comment to make without knowing what music I listened to with them. So since your are an expert on what I have, tell me what would you recommend I listen to over what I've already listened to with them? Yeah that's right. You don't know what I've listened to. You should have found that out first before making a statement such as that. Of the numerous times I've listened to them most of my listening was with classical and jazz, and much of it was 24/96 high rez. And some of the amps I listened to with them were between 2000-5000.00. This thread is based off everyone opinions. None of the comments are fact. Just because your opinion differs from mine doesn't mean you should attack my opinion with off the wall statements like that. Many love the hd800s and many don't.

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #60 of 121

Quote:

confused.gif
 I actually preferred my DT880 600ohm to the HD800. Only complaints I have of DT880 are the treble needs to be tamed a tiny bit and the mids brought forward. Other than that, they are my current favourite headphones and I love them 
biggrin.gif
 We will see about that in 2 weeks when my AKG K1000 Valhalla recabled arrive...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back