Most overrated headphones of all time?
Jul 27, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #62 of 121

Quote:
Wow almost all the brands have been listed.  I think we should find the one exception. Maybe a poll?

I don't see my Shures. Woohoo!

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #64 of 121
I'd like to have a HD800 but I think it's more of a $900 phone than a $1400 one. I generally dislike sennheiser as a brand, spending money to find out the sweet spot of what people are prepared to pay for them, as well as their marketing.

With $900 bucks depending on what I feel like, I'd rather get a few mid tier phones than a HD800 at that price. DT880/990: Very easy to modify to obtain a neutral response. K702: Most expansive soundstage for the price. Its bass can hit like a truck with the M3 bass boost. HD650: drift off quietly to a dark place far away.

Also RE0s, they really did not live up to their hype.

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #65 of 121

Quote:
That's a very ignorant comment to make without knowing what music I listened to with them. So since your are an expert on what I have, tell me what would you recommend I listen to over what I've already listened to with them? Yeah that's right. You don't know what I've listened to. You should have found that out first before making a statement such as that. Of the numerous times I've listened to them most of my listening was with classical and jazz, and much of it was 24/96 high rez. And some of the amps I listened to with them were between 2000-5000.00. This thread is based off everyone opinions. None of the comments are fact. Just because your opinion differs from mine doesn't mean you should attack my opinion with off the wall statements like that. Many love the hd800s and many don't.

If it makes you feel any better, I completely agreed with everything you said about the HD800.  That was my finding exactly.  Technically amazing, but who cares.  I listened to them with an SP Extreme or one of his nice ones, and a recording I know very well and it sounded wrong- the balance was off, glassy treble, not enough bass, but huge soundstage, very fast and detailed.  I put them down pretty quick and didn't bother trying more amps.  So I don't usually post about them cause I know everyone will be quick to say it was the wrong amp.  Which it very well may have been.  But since others have had the same experience, I'm inclined to think I just don't like the HD800.  I'm still open to them though, not that they are in my price range anyways.

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #67 of 121
Quote:
That being said, have you read my impressions of "audiophile air" that you fill a room with, or the gap between and ear and headphone, to improve PRaT, air and dynamics? The air is only the purest, freshest air from the tip top of mount Everest, hand picked by yeti.

At several thousand dollars and many, many uses, I am sure you can see how it is a great value. In fact, after spending 700,000 on a private yet, yeti language lessons, a compressed air tank and a pair of HD 600, I have heard the HD 600 perform on levels no other has. Definitely much better than with stock air, so I would say it is worth the cost and encourage many to do the same.

Currently I am in the process of writing a book, as the differences as so vast that head-fi would crash. Readers : Please feel free to PM me for signed copies.

Worth trawling through this hate-filled thread just for this. Can I get two copies?

I'll send a payment through when I've finished extruding the platinum for my iBud recable, 'cause I know it'll make all the difference
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #68 of 121

Quote:

That's a very ignorant comment to make without knowing what music I listened to with them. So since your are an expert on what I have, tell me what would you recommend I listen to over what I've already listened to with them? Yeah that's right. You don't know what I've listened to. You should have found that out first before making a statement such as that. Of the numerous times I've listened to them most of my listening was with classical and jazz, and much of it was 24/96 high rez. And some of the amps I listened to with them were between 2000-5000.00. This thread is based off everyone opinions. None of the comments are fact. Just because your opinion differs from mine doesn't mean you should attack my opinion with off the wall statements like that. Many love the hd800s and many don't.

I listened to Kind of Blue (Legendary Edition) with my HD800s last night and let me tell you, they were very inspiring. My comments were simply that the HD800s present the music (the best of all cans I've heard) just as it was intended. And therefore, if you find them uninspiring, then the music you're listening to is not inspiring you.

No comments were made about the music you listened to in general. No one choice of music is inspiring to all. So I can't help you there.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #70 of 121

Quote:
You need better music then. The HD800s give you what you give them.
wink.gif

Your comment "was" directed at the music I listen to. Just look at your quote. How could you say that it wasn't when you stated that I needed "better music". Your lasted statement is even more head scratching. Why in the world would I listen to music that wasn't inspiring to me. Look at your quote.  You didn't say anything about inspiring or anything like that. You said I needed better music. All because I wasn't "blown away" by them. You love the hd800s and that's great. I don't and that's what this hobby is all about. These are just opinions. If everybody heard the same thing, there wouldn't be 100s of different sounding headphones. You just need to accept that not everybody love the hd800s. Just like not everybody love that cans that I love. I've read many impressions of people trashing some the headphones I do love, but I don't in return post anything negative about the music they listen to or the gear they used. Like the saying goes "everybody ears are different".

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #71 of 121
Those who said the Beyerdynamic DT880's are overrated are wrong, IMHO.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #72 of 121

Quote:
Your comment "was" directed at the music I listen to. Just look at your quote. How could you say that it wasn't when you stated that I needed "better music". Your lasted statement is even more head scratching. Why in the world would I listen to music that wasn't inspiring to me. Look at your quote.  You didn't say anything about inspiring or anything like that. You said I needed better music. All because I wasn't "blown away" by them. You love the hd800s and that's great. I don't and that's what this hobby is all about. These are just opinions. If everybody heard the same thing, there wouldn't be 100s of different sounding headphones. You just need to accept that not everybody love the hd800s. Just like not everybody love that cans that I love. I've read many impressions of people trashing some the headphones I do love, but I don't in return post anything negative about the music they listen to or the gear they used. Like the saying goes "everybody ears are different".

My comment was exactly you need better music that inspires you. Better does not mean higher bit rate, etc...

Can they sound clinical? Well they do show everything in the recording that is there in a very flat presentation...so if you don't like that, how is that the headphone's issue? If you like your music coloured and less revealing, then by all means do not pick the HD800s.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #74 of 121
Quote:
Ultrasone Edition 9.  If they hadn't been made of some fancy metal and leather, nobody would have bought them.
Anything else made by Ultrasone. Pro 650s, for example, have the absolutely most disgustingly over-bloated and loose bass of any headphone I've ever tried, even Bose.
AT L3000s: Great bass, totally crap everything else.
AT ESW10JPN: Sure, they are very good supra-aural cans, but $500 good? Again, take away the pretty bits and "limited edition" and nobody would have bought them.
Anything by Beyerdynamic. I have yet to try any model made by them that doesn't suck in some way.

I couldn't agree more with these choices.  It's exactly what I would have listed, although I would have added the D7000 and K701/702 as well.  The D7000 is, IMO, the most completely overrated at the moment.  Horrible screechy transistor radio quality highs, sucked out recessed midrange, and exaggerated overdone bass.  I just can't begin to understand the love for it.

The only exception would be that I haven't heard either the DT48 or T1.  Other than that, anything by Beyerdynamic is total suck.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #75 of 121
Unquestionably the most over-rated headphone of all time is the Audio-Technica L3000.  This is an awful sounding train-wreck of a headphone that people still pay $2,500+ for.  While beautiful to look at, it sounds terrible.  Any of the currently available $300-ish headphones like the DT880, HD600, K701, D2000 all beat the pants off the L3000.  While thought of as having great bass, the bass is a total disappointment compared to even the D2000.  I got sucked into the hype on this can - at least my 60 day trial only cost me $200, since the resale value is still pretty high, for some unknown reason.

If the HD800 is over-rated (and I am not at all sure that it is), then the L3000 is EPICALLY over-rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back