Most Overrated Headphone?
Apr 7, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #46 of 66
Of course, it's Bose. It has has the biggest promo machine, and while they may not strictly be "bad" phones, their value is poor.

The HD201, on the other hand, can sound okay for their discount price, which is as low as $10.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #48 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that most are saying the most overrated headphones are ones that they personally had bought due to recommendations and didn't like
icon10.gif
I hear Wovenhand's pain for having to buy, burn in headphones, and find out they're just not his cup of tea.....been there, done that with AKGs. I've just commented on headphones that I've noticed gets a lot of hype for being some great headphone that you have to like: that if there's any exception, it's your amp, burn-in, or maybe even faulty ears
icon10.gif

But if you check Wovenhands sig. He has actually used the headphones for 2 hours max. To burn it in in your closet for 200 hours don´t require any effort
wink.gif
. If he had to endure aweful sound for 50 hours at least then it would have been worse lol.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #49 of 66
I had the HD650 for approximately 5 months, not less than a week
plainface.gif

As for balanced...
I had a cable reterminated for me, and the improvement was probably around 5%. I don't know why I was expecting more but it didn't change the sound too much. I was going to make an impressions thread but for so little performance gain, I didn't think anyone would care.

Also about a week later I got my Grado HP-2 and about 3 days later the Melos SHA-1. The SHA-1 as a tube preamp to the Aleph further improved the K1000 so I didn't have a need for the HD650 for classical (which is why I sold them), I could have kept them for much longer, but they were too genre specific. And I'm slowly clearing out all my unused headphones for a huge source upgrade.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that most are saying the most overrated headphones are ones that they personally had bought due to recommendations and didn't like
icon10.gif
I hear Wovenhand's pain for having to buy, burn in headphones, and find out they're just not his cup of tea.....been there, done that with AKGs. I've just commented on headphones that I've noticed gets a lot of hype for being some great headphone that you have to like: that if there's any exception, it's your amp, burn-in, or maybe even faulty ears
icon10.gif

Oh yes, it's a bit on the sucky side. I too hear your pain, fellow disappointment brother. I actually was choosing between the 2500's and the K701, and boy oh boy did I make the wrong choice, heh.

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the HD650 for approximately 5 months, not less than a week
plainface.gif

I said it seemed like you appreciated the HD650s for less then a week
icon10.gif
At least it seemed like there was one week were you PMed me to say you had warmed up to the HD650 and you did make a few posts that the 650 seemed good at certain things. Owning and liking are not the same things....so if the HD650 is not your thing, good to move on
icon10.gif
I owned the k501 for 4 months and never learned to appreciate them
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... This thread is just another cheap Bose bash and pish posh...

It sure sounds that way, doesn't it?
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #55 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone PROLine 2500. End of thread.

I have to agree .... the 2500 sounded plain wrong to me. Nothing I heard with the 2500's presentation justified the headphones price or hype.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #56 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone PROLine 2500. End of thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree .... the 2500 sounded plain wrong to me. Nothing I heard with the 2500's presentation justified the headphones price or hype.

Broken in or not broken in? I'm not wanting to get into a debate. I'm just curious.

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Broken in or not broken in? I'm not wanting to get into a debate. I'm just curious.

soundstage you can review without excessive burn in. the sound quality requires tons and tons of burn in before truly hearing how they sound like. I think say 10 hours should be enough for all to get it. Some will get it after 15 minutes though.

It does have kind of a unique soundstage
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's you and me against the world.
If the 2500's costed $40 I wouldn't say much, but now they're 10 times that, and imho, sound like a $40 can.

Apr 8, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #60 of 66
more like a 21000 sek for me as you know already
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back