Most Overrated Headphone?
Apr 7, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #34 of 66
I hate to say it, but the Grado SR60s are overrated in the sense that they're fine for their price but not giant-killers. As for the Bose, they're overrated because of their price. 1/4 their retail price seems more appropriate.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for K81DJ... Based on all the hype they had here on head-fi I bought a pair and found them to be muddybass-bloatnessfest.

I returned mine for a refund. I would only recommend them if all you listen to is cheesy electronic music and don't care about vocals or highs.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #36 of 66
huh, seems like for a poll for 'most overrated', you'd do well to pick models that aren't universally reviled around these parts. Of course we're gonna crucify some bose and ibuds. How about a 'which do you hate most?' thread.

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

voted for the Sennheiser PX-100 instead. People seen to like them, but I was underwhelmed. Not bad, but not that great, either.

think the same

Quote:

I voted SR60: don't know why they get hyped as being something that should cost more (they don't sound like they're more expensive headphones).

Davesrose - you have sr325i which is better headphone in spades ( for me 325s 'play' truly , deeply, madly - great, great headphones) but in my opinion not worth 4 times more money (69$ to 299$). 325i has better bass, better soundstage, are much quicker but is also sharp as knife, aggresive, more 'in your face' than 60s. I think 325i is more similar to sr80 than sr60.
Of course there is law of diminishing returns in use so even if I call sr325i reallly great headphones, that rocks indeed , sr60 is still fantastic can for under 70$!

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD650 (snoozefest)
evil_smiley.gif

eek.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Balance those suckers already...
How's the DA10 showdown coming along?
I've heard them underamplified balanced on the DA10...
My impressions are: S/E = snoozefest and Balanced = breath of fresh air.
That's about all I can say until I properly amplify them
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #40 of 66
I voted for PX100, there's really not much special about it. I would have preferred to vote for the Shure E2 though.

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course there is law of diminishing returns in use so even if I call sr325i reallly great headphones, that rocks indeed , sr60 is still fantastic can for under 70$!

But the 325i doesn't get recommendations here: most people swear them off as being too bright. The SR60, on the otherhand, is recommended all the time for everything. People even say they can compete with way more expensive headphones
rolleyes.gif
IMO, their SQ is like many other $70 headphones I've heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balance those suckers already...
How's the DA10 showdown coming along?
I've heard them underamplified balanced on the DA10...
My impressions are: S/E = snoozefest and Balanced = breath of fresh air.
That's about all I can say until I properly amplify them
wink.gif

It appears J-Pak's appreciation of the HD650 lasted less then a week
icon10.gif
Well good thing you sold them J-Pak: it seems they are just not your cup of tea.

You know, instead of headphones.....this idea of "it's all your amp", or even worst still, "you need lots of burn-in" is the most overrated IMO. Either a headphone floats your boat or it doesn't
icon10.gif
Of course everyone knows by now that I'm a HD650 fan, and I'm not even running it balanced! I liked them as soon as I got them: it didn't take some 300 hours for me to get to learn how to enjoy them. And every brand seems to get fans always saying it's your amp, or that if you aren't liking their headphones....you just need lots of burn-in
rolleyes.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #43 of 66
pre burn in you do get an idea of the soundstage with them. But for some headphones yes they change dramatically with burn in. Maybe the best example of this is the Ultrasone Prolines. There has been reports of quite a few people that disliked them first but liked them later on. As well as people never growing to like them to bad for them
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah if it´s going to be a true classic for you you need to love it from the set go I think. I felt it´s potential from day one for sure but have been through hell when it first degradated with burn in before getting better again.

As for amp I have never seen an amp making major changes to the sound. If you have a decent source anyway. different headphones can sound incredibly different though. Also from decent to great sources there isn´t any major differences either. It´s there for sure but not to the extent to say you will love this headphone if you just get this 1500$ source and 1500$ amp. That is if you already have some cheap amp at least that can somewhat drive hard driven headphones like HD 650...

But overrated. A headphone can´t be overrated. If Guy A loves it and Guy B hates it then Guy A says it´s underrated and Guy B overrated
wink.gif

If anything I would say all these expensive sources, amps and of course 1500$ headphones are overrated. They don´t give you back what you pay for them... They give slightly better sound for tons of money.

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But overrated. A headphone can´t be overrated. If Guy A loves it and Guy B hates it then Guy A says it´s underrated and Guy B overrated
wink.gif

It seems that most are saying the most overrated headphones are ones that they personally had bought due to recommendations and didn't like
icon10.gif
I hear Wovenhand's pain for having to buy, burn in headphones, and find out they're just not his cup of tea.....been there, done that with AKGs. I've just commented on headphones that I've noticed gets a lot of hype for being some great headphone that you have to like: that if there's any exception, it's your amp, burn-in, or maybe even faulty ears
icon10.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It appears J-Pak's appreciation of the HD650 lasted less then a week
icon10.gif
Well good thing you sold them J-Pak: it seems they are just not your cup of tea.

I didn't know that...thanks for the news flash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for amp I have never seen an amp making major changes to the sound. If you have a decent source anyway. different headphones can sound incredibly different though. Also from decent to great sources there isn´t any major differences either. It´s there for sure but not to the extent to say you will love this headphone if you just get this 1500$ source and 1500$ amp. That is if you already have some cheap amp at least that can somewhat drive hard driven headphones like HD 650...

wink.gif

If anything I would say all these expensive sources, amps and of course 1500$ headphones are overrated. They don´t give you back what you pay for them... They give slightly better sound for tons of money.

**PREACH**
All Headphones/amplifiers/sources, over $1500-->overated<--OK.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back