Most misspelled word on the Net...
Sep 30, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #46 of 89
I know successful is one of them, but it can be misspelled in many different ways.

The most often found grammer mistakes I see is run on sentences, comma splices, and fragments.

No one is perfect though....or some just don't care.

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #48 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
And we wouldn't want to sound judgmental now would we?
smily_headphones1.gif

You beat me to it
biggrin.gif

Pretty much every mistake chills me to the bone when I'm reading, except in IM/IRC where I'm a lot more laid-back. I even slip heavily with the grammar myself, mainly because you look a prat if you write properly punctuated sentences in IM programs
wink.gif
On forums, though, English is sacred.

Sep 30, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #50 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
The most often found grammer mistakes I see is run on sentences, comma splices, and fragments.

Subject-verb disagreement is a common mistake as well.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #51 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I don't know about the "net," but the most misspelled word on Head-Fi has got to be vinyl. Give me a break, vynil doesn't even look right.
rolleyes.gif

Exactly. Looks!

I can tell if i'm misspelling a word just by its appearance. Yesterday, I was in a Political Science class and for the life of me I could not spell "Sovereign" correctly.

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #52 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Subject-verb disagreement is a common mistake as well.
rolleyes.gif

lol.

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #53 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
Ah, Bill, "judgemental" is the British English spelling, perfectly acceptable.

Just a little rant on the British vs. American spelling issue. As a Canadian, in a country with British and French roots, I hate that we are losing the spelling war to the Americans.

Centre becomes center
Colour becomes color
Defence becomes defense

If you are new to the language the American spelling makes more sense in most cases, and I know that language is always adapting. There was I time when u and v were the other way around: Sound was sovnd, Love was loue.

But to me and my bias, the written language is losing a little "class"

I dislike being corrected when the British spelling is used.

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #55 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyC
Just a little rant on the British vs. American spelling issue. As a Canadian, in a country with British and French roots, I hate that we are losing the spelling war to the Americans.

Centre becomes center
Colour becomes color
Defence becomes defense

If you are new to the language the American spelling makes more sense in most cases, and I know that language is always adapting. There was I time when u and v were the other way around: Sound was sovnd, Love was loue.

But to me and my bias, the written language is losing a little "class"

I dislike being corrected when the British spelling is used.

I personally have no issue when someone from the UK uses British spelling, it's still pronounced the same way. However, using v for u is a problem. It's simply not American english, where did that derive from anyway? Just curious. I don't think the written language is losing class, have you read anything worthwhile lately?

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #56 of 89
I see people type "base" when they mean "bass". Also I get irritated when people type "walla" when it's "voila".

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #58 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
teh

actually i think "teh" is used intentionally on the web as a cute thing, like "Dat amp's gotz TEH BAZZZZ!"

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #59 of 89
Sep 30, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #60 of 89
And is it "Roger and Me" or is it "Roger and I?" I always get confused! Curse you Michael Moore, were you being colloquial or grammatically correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back