Most misspelled word on the Net...
Sep 30, 2005 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
... is definitely the word definitely. It's not "definately," it's definitely.

I actually hear "defin-AT-ly" in my mind when reading the misspelling. It annoys me so bad!
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif
mad.gif

I think the second most common error is ignoring the fact that the word "you're" is a contraction of "you are."

Error: "Your going to the store."
Correct: "You're going to the store."

Can anyone think of others? These two seem to me to be the most widespread and common (and frankly, the most annoying).

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Yeah, it's a peeve of mine to see people mispell...

eek.gif

icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
eek.gif

icon10.gif

Good catch, fewtch. All misspellings grate on me...though it seems worse when, for example, I'm reading a forum where brand names are thrown around a bit and seeing misspellings of manufacturer names...for example if someone here were to use the spelling "Byerdynamic" or "Sennheizer" (though I have never seen anyone on this board do this!)

Another situation where misspellings annoy me is when a discussion clearly has the correct spelling repeatedly - let's say a movie discussion about the movie "The Bourne Supremacy" - everyone's writing correctly about it, and then the 20th poster writes about "The Born Supremacy." What are these people thinking?

And the last one is rather infrequent: enforced snooty misspellings. Have you seen "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"? Joan of Arc is a character in it, and she is repeatedly referred to as Joan, Joan of Arc, or (in the doofus way Bill & Ted have) "Miss Of Arc." A poster on IMDB felt the need to ask a question about her and spelled it "Jeanne d'Arc." Yes, that's one way to spell her name, but it's so damn uppity to write it that way when the entire movie references her as Joan of Arc. Argh!

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
Good catch, fewtch. All misspellings grate on me...though it seems worse when, for example, I'm reading a forum where brand names are thrown around a bit and seeing misspellings of manufacturer names...for example if someone here were to use the spelling "Byerdynamic" or "Sennheizer" (though I have never seen anyone on this board do this!)

Another situation where misspellings annoy me is when a discussion clearly has the correct spelling repeatedly - let's say a movie discussion about the movie "The Bourne Supremacy" - everyone's writing correctly about it, and then the 20th poster writes about "The Born Supremacy." What are these people thinking?

And the last one is rather infrequent: enforced snooty misspellings. Have you seen "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"? Joan of Arc is a character in it, and she is repeatedly referred to as Joan, Joan of Arc, or (in the doofus way Bill & Ted have) "Miss Of Arc." A poster on IMDB felt the need to ask a question about her and spelled it "Jeanne d'Arc." Yes, that's one way to spell her name, but it's so damn uppity to write it that way when the entire movie references her as Joan of Arc. Argh!

sum peopol just hav a hard tyme whith speling man, giv us a brake!

Sep 30, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 89
Sometimes I forget how to spell a word and wind up using an entirely different word that I do know how to spell.

example:

I could never remember how to spell tommorrow so I say

"What are you doing Friday?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back